Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Crossing Marans with Welsummers

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:55 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

http://www.maransofamericaclub.com/goldensalmons.php

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:48 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have a Marans Welsummer cross hen, though not certain of the percentages, and she is very similar to your photos. The main difference is that she has much more vibrant gold coloured hackles, so much so that she is called Cleopatra! She is a great layer of very dark terracotta eggs. I love this cross, though I am novice and certainly no expert. I have another six coming along but I suspect only 2 of them are crosses with the others being pure Marans.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:44 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Ive got Marans x Wellsummer x Marans and im convinced the egg colouring is almost as good as the pure Marans and they lay more consistant colour and a slightly bigger egg.
Some of my pure Marans lay big eggs but when they lay real big double youkers they forget to paint them .

The crosses dont drop off in colour as the Marans do .
The Pure Marans seem to know when ever someone whats eggs from me and they lay them hurriedly with less paint.
Weather and food could have a bit to do with it too.
After a cold spell egg production drops off then comes back with with nice brown eggs .

Ive read so much contradictory articles from the web .
Many written in the USA say food has no effect on egg shell colour as its in the genetics off the bird past on by the Roo..
Yet other people say food helps the egg colour.
Oily food certainly helps to spread the paint turning speckled eggs into evenly coated ones.

A couple of my chooks have in there early laying put Jupiter style rings around the eggs .

Ill try to get some pics up when my freinds here next .

Corn or maize is said to be good for egg colour but its too expencive in SA.Has anyone tried corn into there diet.

I no my eggs are darker now than previous years and a neighbour who also keeps Marans commented on the nice colour so something is working.
But is this from my selecting the darkest most relyable layers or the forrest of nettles and spinach they roam in or the lowering of calcium levels in the mains water after all the nice rain .
I read high calcium in water will have a whitening effect on shell colour .

Has any one tried mains water compared with filtered , rain or spring water for the Chooks.

Calcium levels were high in SA during the drought but now we have had lots of rain im not sure what level it would be.
Food for thought ..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:30 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Jocler has mentioned the use of oily foods before to improve the egg colour on Marans; it seems to help put a rich gloss on the eggs. Whether it actually helps with turning a 4 into a 5 (for eg), I don't know. Maybe I should try :)

He suggests linseed ... I image sunflower seeds would work too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:14 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hey, I know this is an old post but I thought I would try anyway.
I have only owned chickens since May and have just hatched 11 eggs under my broody Ara, 6 were from French Wheaten Maran eggs but 3 of them look like the ginger stripey ones here. So I was wondering whether they could be feather sexed like the pure FW Marans or not? And if not what age can you tell? I've attached a picture of my 6 babies.

xxx

Attachments:
File comment: 3 gingery ones and 3 pure yellow ones, all with feathers on their feet.
10645102_572876646191188_5813567216887300491_n.jpg
10645102_572876646191188_5813567216887300491_n.jpg [ 129.22 KiB | Viewed 1116 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:37 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Depends what was in the background but yes you still should be able to tell by 3 weeks old

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:38 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks! :) I can't wait until they feather up, my 5 Aras have almost their whole wings feathers and are starting their tails and the Marans who are so much bigger have barely half their wings feathered. (They're 1 week old so far). I think I've got 2 (hopefully) girls and 1 boy for the pure Wheaten Marans. 2 look the same and one looks different so far. All 3 of the not pure (gingery) ones look the same so far.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:11 pm 

How did you end up with your project Chicken 07? Looks very interesting. I was looking up Golden Salmon Marans and found this thread.