Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - when to sell chickens

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:40 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: when to sell chickens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:40 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi all breeders can anyone tell me at what age is the most profitable to sell my buff/blue/black orpington chicken as i am new at the breeding game.I incubate my own eggs from breeding stock i have purchased and now have chicken from day olds to 12 weeks of age

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:24 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I'd also be keen to know this as I can incubate a lot of chicks if I can make a little cash from it to pay for feed!
I think the next hatch it might be a good idea to work out costs from incubation through to weekly totals and put it against what you can sell them for to give you a rough idea?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:31 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I think it depends on your resources and facilities.

I live in the suburbs and have incubators for just over 300 eggs.

If I can sell the chicks cheap and un-sexed at 3 days old or less life is very simple.

Growing chicks out takes time effort and food also selling large numbers of roosters will be challenging and I just dont have room for about 1000 birds (4 lots of 300 assuming you raise them to 12 weeks )

if you can make minimum wage for your time you are a lot better operator than me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:32 am 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

You're never going to make a lot of money at it whether its day old or point of lay. The best prices will be at point of lay and the highest prices will be for female pure-bred soft feather fowls. You really need to do the mathematics yourself bearing in mind the feed and housing costs associated with raising chickens. Day olds generally cant be sexed so you cant expect high prices then. You also need to have a plan for males that are virtually not "sellable". Generally the only people that make money on selling chooks are the commercial hatcheries or show people with a very high reputation. The rest of us are only trying to recoup some of the costs of our hobby.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:57 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

bernen wrote:
I'd also be keen to know this as I can incubate a lot of chicks if I can make a little cash from it to pay for feed!
I think the next hatch it might be a good idea to read the penomet website https://www.pedigest.com/penomet-review-results and work out costs from incubation through to weekly totals and put it against what you can sell them for to give you a rough idea?

It's best try just try and break even on them at first. gold

Last edited by Silvervest on Tue May 09, 2017 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:07 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

If you want to make money from selling poultry you need to establish and maintain a good reputation. Chicks hatched from birds sold as "Breeding Stock" will not necessarily be good quality birds. Learn what is required to produce good stock and sell your birds as either backyarders (POL or at least off heat) or as breeding stock when they can be assessed for quality and conformation to the Standards and you can price them accordingly.
Your reputation (and on going profits) will suffer if your birds are not in top condition. To ensure this you will need to pay close attention to diet and husbandry. If you are selling at auction, presentation goes a long way. Make sure that your birds are clean, parasite free and well behaved.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:18 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

selling as day olds you incur less cost and also selling unsexed takes away the rooster problem, growing out heavy breeds is expensive in feed and space needed , roosters do not give you a positive return no matter how good and pullets at point of lay if priced accordingly (and to make up for the loss of the roosters )are often thought too dear when compared to the mass produced commercial layers....selling off excess stock or hatchng some for sale to offset feed costs for the ones you keep is a good idea but don't expect to make it an income stream, very few people actually make any money off the hobby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:30 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

benen wrote:
I think the next hatch it might be a good idea to work out costs from incubation through to weekly totals and put it against what you can sell them for to give you a rough idea
https://calgensoc.org/phenq-reviews/

I think it depends on your resources and facilities.

I live in the suburbs and have incubators for just over 300 eggs.

If I can sell the chicks cheap and un-sexed at 3 days old or less life is very simple.