Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Jose s Marans

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
 Post subject: Re: Jose s Marans
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:49 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

3Bstuds wrote:
jose wrote:
3Bstuds wrote:
mycoola, I always make the point of asking the question if and when I buy in new birds "are your birds vaccinated or non vaccinated" and if they reply is yes vaccinated I give them a miss.

you are alright .
I m not planning to sale live chooks in the future because the transport is a real problem ,there is not health standard , any chooks ,ducks ,dogs ,cats geeese every thing goes in one truck . after that all the chooks in that track will get sick .
I m planning to sale fertile eggs only . for me to do that I need to have healthy and protected breeders flock. if the parent are healthy than the embryos inside the eggs will be too .
last year I bought more than 13 dz Birchen eggs .lot of them hatched ,but they all died and took a lot healthy chickens with them . I don t want that to happen to my future clients . I want to make sure they will get healthy and well bred chicks . the rest is up to each client .

I do not have Marecks in my flock ,but I lost most of them because of respiratory problem .
maybe you are alright I shouldn t introduce the marecks to my flock and to my place . will vaccinate for respiratory problem only .

Jose,
That plan seems to be a more sensible one, I think you should stick to it much better outcome in my opinion.

yes my friend I think is better plan . healthy parent stock ,healthy fertile eggs and happy hatching to every body .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:07 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

dark cuckoo rooster 16 months old . sired by Black Mamba { Black rooster } over Dominant white hen Greenland . he has a thick and solid body type a little shorter on his legs . faultless back and tail .best tail in my farm . short ,full ,free from any parasitic white and correct low angle .his silver is not pure yet his sire is golden based . his dam is silver based. his comb has a correct number of point but it is too large . his wattles are very very large . i have to work on his head .
he is my second breeder I ll be using this year .different line . his sister .only one lay dark egg .oval shape . hopefully he carries these genes too .
will be bred to his half sister from the sire side . Black hens big and heavy hens ,laying dark large eggs .

both of my 2 breeders roosters have a large comb and wattles .only weakest point they have .

Attachments:
P1130703.JPG
P1130703.JPG [ 2.87 MiB | Viewed 245 times ]
P1130702.JPG
P1130702.JPG [ 2.89 MiB | Viewed 245 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:20 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Jose
What is the difference between 'Dark' Cuckoo and 'Silver' Cuckoo?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:13 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

philthomas1 wrote:
Jose
What is the difference between 'Dark' Cuckoo and 'Silver' Cuckoo?

silver cuckoo is a double barred pure silver based type . ER/ER or E/E . S/S B/B etc............. lighter under fluff
dark cuckoo is a single barred silver based type ER/ER or E/E .S/S .B/b+ etc................. darker under fluff . UK produce a best dark cuckoo , because they cross it to a solid black . no golden or copper hues are acceptable .
Solid Black rooster { silver based } X Silver cuckoo hen = all the cockerels are dark cuckoo { this type is what UK breeders show to compete} .all the pullets are solid black
Silver cuckoo rooster X solid black hen = 50% dark cuckoo cockerels and pullets .other 50% are solid Black cockerels and pullets .

in France and other part of Europe ,this variety is not famous ,because they don t have solid black marans like in the UK .
hope that help .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:23 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

black and Blue copper marans .they are getting used to each others . removed Ravendale from the pen, she did not like CTB . replace her with a dark egg layer Blue copper young hen ..
he still have 7 hens in total . Dark Angel and Love Song are laying the darkest eggs #6 . great hens .
2 more weeks and I ll start collecting some eggs . not plaining to hatch a 1000 . just few to see what they throw .

Attachments:
P1130752.JPG
P1130752.JPG [ 2.89 MiB | Viewed 189 times ]
P1130765.JPG
P1130765.JPG [ 2.82 MiB | Viewed 189 times ]
P1130760.JPG
P1130760.JPG [ 2.63 MiB | Viewed 189 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:31 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Khabib and his ladies . removed the 2 recessive white hens and replaced them with 3 splash hens .dark eggs layer . now Khabib has 10 hens in his pen . he is a big experience boy .
all healthy and happy .
I made they run larger yesterday . doubled a size .now the run is 20m X 5m . lot space and greed grass too .

Attachments:
P1130791.JPG
P1130791.JPG [ 2.79 MiB | Viewed 189 times ]
P1130799.JPG
P1130799.JPG [ 2.74 MiB | Viewed 189 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:19 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

eggs from Black and Blue copper pen. still laying good colored eggs . not as dark as in spring but still good.
looking forward to hatch some of those eggs .10 more days to go and I start collecting .

lost 1 splash hen from Khabib pen yesterday heat .

Attachments:
P1130819.JPG
P1130819.JPG [ 2.86 MiB | Viewed 158 times ]
File comment: dark angel egg
P1130817.JPG
P1130817.JPG [ 2.75 MiB | Viewed 158 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:55 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Jose,
Mate does splash to splash wash out the colour more to almost white.?. Was thinking of giving a Splash laced red Wyandotte cockerel and 3 splash laced red hens plus a pullet to my wife's cousin. The red shouldn't be affected by breeding together ,is that correct?.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:27 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

mycoola wrote:
Jose,
Mate does splash to splash wash out the colour more to almost white.?. Was thinking of giving a Splash laced red Wyandotte cockerel and 3 splash laced red hens plus a pullet to my wife's cousin. The red shouldn't be affected by breeding together ,is that correct?.

splash to splash produces all sort of splashes . not sure about the lacing pattern .
red could be kept if selected for .. splash does not eliminate the red but interfere with a pattern .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27