Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Malay game, what colour am I

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:07 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

For The Malay Game Fanatics

Note the narrowly normal skull and more slender and longer beak (skull/beak a lot longer than it is wide) like a narrow wedge. While it could grow into a lanky tall bird, in my experience it will only amount to a "pen filler" eating away at my feed bill :roll: .

Note the boofy dome head, with a short wide beak. This one is a keeper, and gets the good tucker and space to fill his/her potential :D

Here is a growing youngster, short and stocky, but soon will shoot up like a bean stalk and look more like an emu :D Image

Notice the orange eye with inner yellow circle. With the strain I have, they turn out pearl (I will try to get a pic of him grown up)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:08 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Cheers Andy. I know what I will be doing in the morning (checking out the chicks :lol:)
Have put a photo up of my old favorite hen for you to have a look at. Please feel free to comment on her (good or bad) for I am keen to learn and try to improve my birds.
A lot of mine seem to have finer heads and longer beaks than I have seen in the majority of photos and by the sound of what you say it is something that I can pay a bit more attention to.
I also get some birds that have a bottom beak that is the same length or slightly longer than the top I do cull these birds but was wondering if you could shed some light on why it's happening in the first place.
Cheers Andrew

Isn't she beautiful :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:13 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

I can see why she is your favorite hen. They sure do get better with age :)
She has a nice brow on her, good eye colour, and good first curve of her head/neck.

I would be comfortable using her in the breeding pen or for show. :D

The following are some comments from my interpretation of the standards (other peoples opinions may differ). Her head is a bit too long (disguised well with nice loose throat skin :) and beak could be a tad shorter and more curved.

She is definitely a keeper though :)

Malays can produce birds with beak deformities, so need to make sure they close well (top and bottom meet up well when closed). They are also a unique breed in that the rooster spurs should curve downward 8) I think they are a breed you either love or hate :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:31 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Do you find them more disease resistant than soft feather birds? Are they hardy? How long can they live?

Im really looking forward to getting some!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:03 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Howdy Roogz and others,

I know its been a few years since you said you would post pics but I have just aquired a few malay game chicks and would love to see yours where they are at now and how they are progressing now.

Any one else that has a few malay game from this post pics would be appreciated.

Other examples of good Malays would also be appreciated.

Thankyou all and I know this post was from way back am just interested about this breed and hope yo all who liked the breed then are still with them.

(Lyrics from Willie Dixon)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:31 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Chookster Malay are exceedingly hardy, they are disease resistant and i do not vaccinate mine for Marex. Have had a little issue with CRD in some youngsters but they fight it off without succumbing to it ! Their temperament and demeanor are excellent.

Yeah so i was too lazy to take pics of this years crop but i added some pics from my gallery of some babies. Andy, you can critique these too !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:06 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Hi Micki,
Sorry for the late reply, only just stumbled onto this thread and was probably still eating hospital food when you posted. I didn't realise you had Malays, sounds like your going up in the world, Malays and wyandottes, two of the best breeds I have ever kept :thumbs:

I am by no means an expert on Malays and have only been breeding them for about 8 years. Your photos look like impressive birds potential wise, particularly their good "nut cracker" beaks, type is also looking good. Its hard to judge from photos, but the legs could be a little bit of a concern, the thighs appear fairly thin for their length and attached a bit awkwardly in some of the photos, but time will tell. The curve in the thigh gives the leg at lot more strength, so keep an eye on that they don't get too straight. Do you still have the malays, would be interested in an update. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:19 pm 

has anyone heard of a CINNAMON coloured malay.....if yes does anyone have a photo of one i could see. tks :claps:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:09 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi hillender and welcome,
Speaking for myself I never heard cinnamon being used to describe a Malay colour only heard of cinnamon in king quails and lately guinea fowls may be similar colour is called something else for Malay’s, it wouldn’t be dunn would it..would like to see one myself.