Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Cross bred Pekins and duccle

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have a 3 pekin bantams 1 cuckoo hen and a roo and hen that I guess are kind of bad examples of Birchen pekins I also have 1 lavender duccle hen. They have been laying quite well of late so I threw a few eggs under a full size clucky hen we have a dna few eggs in the incubator and some of the chics have started to hatch. I have noticed that alot of the pekin hens eggs are not fertilised but all of the duccles have been so far. It looks like I will end up with a few little crosses. They already seem smaller then pekin chics. I am curious to see what sort of chape they will take on. Does anyone have any pics of similier crosses. I will take a few shots of the chics if I can get a glimpse but here are some shots of the adults.
I was thinking if I could get a smaller type bird i might try and breed a few more. my duccle hen is such a compact and placid thing.
will keep you posted on the outcome.

Mick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:32 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Hi Mick,

There are a number of reasons why your pekin eggs may not be fertile but one could be that you need to trim around your girls bottoms. With pekin, because of the mass of feathers, it can be hard for your little man to conect with his girls. The Belgian has less feathers around her bottom so this might be the issue on why hers are fertile and the other girls eggs are not.

Cheers
Shayne

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:02 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

your crosses will look very belgian but a bit more fuller in the body. most if not all chicks will have beards. it takes many crosses back to a pekin to breed the belgian type out at least 3-4 and they will look poor/average quality pekin.

you wont get porcelain or lavender unless your rooster is carrying it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:16 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Did you ever find out what a Duccle x Pekin looks like?