Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Genetics - Waterfowl crest

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:10 am 
a question, I will not pretend I know anything about genetics, but I would like to ask the knowledgable a question

If I put a crested duck with a un-crested drake. both un-related, what happens to the offspring??

Some are born with crests other do not!!

If I use the son (un crested) over the mother (crested), will that improve the chances of getting crested ducklings???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:13 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

if crest is dominant then the crested duck may have been heterozygous crested.

het crest * noncrest => 50% crest, 50% noncrest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:17 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Just to add to what Henk has said. The gene for Crested (Cr) in ducks is apparently completely lethal in a double dose with ducklings pure for the gene failing to hatch. So if you mate two crested birds together you may get approximately 25% dead in shell due to abnormalities, but 2/3 (50% of total eggs set) of those that hatch will be crested, & the other third non-crested.

Mating the non-crested son over crested mother will give you approximately 50% crested ducklings & 50% non-crested ducklings as per above. But the same results would be achieved by mating any crested bird over any non-crested bird, related or not.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:28 am 
that does not account for the ducks who have a little tuft and neither does it account for the big super creast.

i dabbled in the crested ducks and seemed to think it was a dominant gene perhaps lethal in some case but not necessarilly so. the het for cresting appeared a small tuft and homo a nice fluffy crest. i once got one that had a huge crest that it used to flop over the side of its head. when it hatched it had a donut look to it, no actual hole in the middle but an indentation.

so i do not believe the crest is lethal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:49 am 
Wise One
Wise One

You may be correct ruff, but that is what I have read (F. M. Lancaster out of Crawford p. 387). Yes before you say it I know you can't believe everything that you read.

According to Lancaster the gene exhibits variable expressivity with some heterozygotes appearing normal (Lancaster p. 387).

Having said that, I wouldn't go against your findings/understandings because I would be silly to do so as my understanding & knowledge is extremely limited by comparison.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:58 am 
i dabbled over 15 years ago and it was just to help my sister increase numbers. when we crossed the desirable crests to non crested i am sure we got tufted birds. she was also working on black and chocolate bali ducks. but i will not argue with crawford and i am not going to go about trying to disprove him....have enough with the chooks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:00 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

A friend breeds crested ducks and he tells me the gene is lethal in 2 doses, compared the problems as the same as the short legged gene I contend with in my japs, you get a % age DIS and some non crested......that is the reason he will not sell crested eggs, people think you have given them x bred eggs when they get some non crested babies, and whinge about the poor hatch rate.....the size and positioning of the crest is highly variable one of the many challenges of breeding a good crested duck, at least you can see at hatch which have crests and which don't and sell off the non cresteds, people love ducklings, they are soooo cute, cheers pam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:34 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Pointer post put into Waterfowl:

Link to: Genetics - Waterfowl crest
:-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:37 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ruff, does your sister have any black crested ducks? I will be starting this project this season but I haven't seen a full black crested duck in Australia before.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:48 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

hi jarvispryor.
welcome to byp.
ruff has not been a member here for quite a while, so is unlikely to see your query.
you could put a advert seeking black crested in wanted & for sale.