Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Malay Game - * Breed Profile *

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Canna Kid wrote:
To be fair manzo is only a young teenager so 3 hours is long for him and he only has his pocket money,
just remember back to our teenage years and how impatient we were, not meaning to have a go at you guys and I do know lots that spend many $000,s
on travel then the birds themselfs.

Your point is taken but it is the thought process that young people need to understand. Better to say "At my stage I can't afford to travel long distances" Rather than saying "Three hours is two far to go get a good fowl" Then when in the position, Manzo and others will be happy to do the time on the raod as every one else has.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:12 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Often some of the best fowl we get are given to us. But not many fellows will pay the shiping aswell. Keep this in mind.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:33 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Very true Senators RR , the language of children in general is getting bad and some have no respect for others and I have a hard time with my own children,
but this is getting off topic (sorry).
By the way I don't have any game breeds but I love looking at them and admire the work you all have put into them.
I have learnt heaps from this forum on them. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:38 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yes I agree. Very easy for poultry conversation to drift slightly, just the nature of the beast. As long as the info is of help to others it is nearlyt all relavent.
Traveling ------ Malay I think is very relavent as there is not large numbers of good malay/malay breeders anywere in the country, JMO. There for aquiring good malay generaly means time on the road or access to good transport (You still can not pick the fowl you want with this manner and while photo's are good they can leave you wanting when you see the fowls in the flesh). All Good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:53 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I was shocked last year at the Perth royal at how large they can grow it was a whoppa never seen such a large rooster before.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:59 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Canna Kid wrote:
I was shocked last year at the Perth royal at how large they can grow it was a whoppa never seen such a large rooster before.

The shame of it is that not all clubs have pens that are suited to Malay, with many being a touch too small for the bird to actually stand up at full height and display for the Judges.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:08 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Blue/Red cockerel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:16 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:01 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

glen is was wrote:
Manzo as the boys said, somethings you have to search for yourself, I dont have his number off hand at the moment anyhow....

But i can say he did breed some great fowl.

well i have done my research [finally] i did not get vics number but have got many other breeders that are within range for me to get to, including les abbot, zena ranee, melissa tarrifin and a few more, i also hope to get some off somebody called nick?? think he is from ipswich area, only got his mates contacts. :peece

cheers everyone, and thanks Canna for telling them what i should have told them in the 1st place. :th

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:28 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:15 am 

Hello all, I'm very new to the world of chickens and as I don't know much I have found this forum to be a great resource. I was given a gift of a chicken yesterday, and I was extremely surprised to see just how tall she was. She is light coloured, a bit sparse here and there, has a black bit on her tail and, to be quite honest, looks like one of the veloceraptors from Jurassic Park! :shoc She does look quite mean and has a very big and solid beak compared to my other chickens. She is also way, way taller than my biggest chicken. Once I finish my shifts this week, I will try and post a pic. If anyone can give me an idea of what she is I would be most grateful. She looks very similar to the pic posted on the Wikki page, and also to the young man's pic of his hen just after her moult. She has the same expression and look. Does she eat what most other hens eat? Do they have any special needs apart from space? She will be free ranging. She also laid an egg, sort of not quite pure white. I am quite puzzled as I have never seen one of these before. Have a good day everybody, and thankyou.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:22 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

sounds like some game breed the eat the same as other chooks but they do need a bit of extra protien so maybe if you mix some turkey starter in her food

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:14 am 
has anyone got photos of malay bantams to show. next to a drink can would be good to really see the sizes? do they look like real minatures of malays ie with the sparse feathers and heavy brow??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

sweetcheeks wrote:
Hello all, I'm very new to the world of chickens and as I don't know much I have found this forum to be a great resource. I was given a gift of a chicken yesterday, and I was extremely surprised to see just how tall she was. She is light coloured, a bit sparse here and there, has a black bit on her tail and, to be quite honest, looks like one of the veloceraptors from Jurassic Park! :shoc She does look quite mean and has a very big and solid beak compared to my other chickens. She is also way, way taller than my biggest chicken. Once I finish my shifts this week, I will try and post a pic. If anyone can give me an idea of what she is I would be most grateful. She looks very similar to the pic posted on the Wikki page, and also to the young man's pic of his hen just after her moult. She has the same expression and look. Does she eat what most other hens eat?( Welcome to this forums "sweetcheeks"...I,agree with "Manzo's 99" reply to feed her a little high in protein ).. Do they have any special needs apart from space? She will be free ranging.( No other special needs for her, Malay hens are hardy ).. She also laid an egg, sort of not quite pure white. I am quite puzzled as I have never seen one of these before. Have a good day everybody, and thankyou.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:48 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

ruff wrote:
has anyone got photos of malay bantams to show. next to a drink can would be good to really see the sizes? do they look like real minatures of malays ie with the sparse feathers and heavy brow??
I, do have a bantam pair but currently they both heavy in molt and looking scruffy, they a little too big though... Yes they should resemble the large and should have their crop including their breast bone/keel-bone exposed from plumage... If my pair which were given to me almost 2 years ago stay alive I will upload a photo during winter as they seem to look at their best..Or I can put a current photo in my photo- bucket account and PM the link to you, so I could delete it soon after.. The problem with scruffy pics can give you a bad reputation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next