Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Malay Game - * Breed Profile *

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:16 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Great to see this post dugged up,because i love Malay's.
Here is some of my birds. Please let us all see more photos ?...I personaly like the breed as pets and don't care if they can't fight.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:35 pm 
strange chickenpox, just this afternoon i was sorting my photos (a huge task as i have not done it for ages) and i was trying where best to put the photo of you dunn rooster, in the malay file or a dunn file. i ended up creating a dunn file for all my dunn photos but will add your second photo to my malay file. i would love to see more photos of these birds. but cold you please (pretty please :) ) have a look in the photo comp section and some others on how to improve your photos. they are lovely birds and you need to improve your photography skills to show them to their best. i can't go to everyones places and photograph their birds :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:59 am 
any one got more photos of females. could you take these from level with the bird as it distorts the shape looking down on them. chickens would be nice too at differnt stages of growth.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:55 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

:thanks: to andy for the great info on the malay, a sometimes forgotten breed! Am particularly greatful for the drawings which are spot on :thumbs:

... Let's just hope the bickering doesn't put potential breeders off their ideas of starting with Malay Game!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:37 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Young Malay, he is preparing to practice his crow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:25 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Chickenpox, the last photo shows your young fellow off just fine, you have done a fine job with him....he should grow into a fine cock in the next couple of years......just keep an eye on the eye colour, a light eye is what you are looking for....some strains of malay get a lighter eye as they mature. He may also have a bit too much feather, as a malay should be very sparce in feather, that will also comes with age.... but over all a nice fowl .....good work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:20 pm 
yes i like him too. almost no wattles, small comb and short hackles for a start.

i had a nice pair of black shamo malay indian crosses here but i could not do justice to them so i gave them too a 'mexican'. i did breed from them before they went, the hen i put to an aussie rooster of which i have a pair of beautiful half grown aussie looking chickens. the ckl was solid black with yellow legs, very malay in type except for comb so i hope he throws nice chickens. i just caught in a storm sheltering with them in a shed and i compared the ckls size to the wheel barrow which he was looking into and he is 2 foot 3 inches, very gangly and i am just hoping i am feeding him right as i have not had such big fowl before 2 years ago. they are very addictive.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:55 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

BeatenEgg wrote:
I tend to agree with Wineglass here, there are too many Malays being shown these days that look like heavy clydesdales. As it was Malays were bred for sport so should be athletic looking.

As to the sportiness of the Malay (as it may have been before it became an exhibition bird), have you seen the Madras Asil form Souther India? They are a very heavy boned, blocky bird.
Different styles of fighting required different types of birds.
Just as in the human equivalents: who is more sporty, a boxer or a wrestler?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:20 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

ruff wrote:
yes i like him too. almost no wattles, small comb and short hackles for a start.

i had a nice pair of black shamo malay indian crosses here but i could not do justice to them so i gave them too a 'mexican'. i did breed from them before they went, the hen i put to an aussie rooster of which i have a pair of beautiful half grown aussie looking chickens. the ckl was solid black with yellow legs, very malay in type except for comb so i hope he throws nice chickens. i just caught in a storm sheltering with them in a shed and i compared the ckls size to the wheel barrow which he was looking into and he is 2 foot 3 inches, very gangly and i am just hoping i am feeding him right as i have not had such big fowl before 2 years ago. they are very addictive.

Looks like you missed out a few breeds in that last cross, modern & thai game.
just pulling your leg....If you have to feed and see your fowls 24-7 you might aswell breed what you like and enjoy them....onya Ruff...

I have some nice thai malays at home will post a photo for you...also of some of my henny malays..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:47 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hello Wineglass, ( I am pleased to meet you ).

I agree with you, as you probably noticed this bird has more major faults,he also has plumage over his wing bow area,a good Malay should be already bare at his age. And i think his comb is going to grow very large,plus it is flat cushioned.
I bought his mum and she is obiously no good, she has Shamo in her blood but god knows what else is in there.
I kept this male because he is a white pyle, although a bad one because he is covered with brown on his chest.
I think we need to focus in preserving pearl eyes on Malay's and large indians before it is lost.
I also think since Shamo arrived we tend to be loosing the clean white pyle and wheaten among Malay's,some say we have white Malay's and white Shamo's to create the white pyle if need be, but it is not the case because all you get is a smudged pyle,these whites are from Dunn and it dominates the colour wheaten and clean white pyles.
I hope it isn't already too late,and i hope ther are some large Australian game still with clean white pyles.
Blue also need to be watched out for it seems to dominate over black reds and white pyles. I hope I am wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:58 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

wildman wrote:
BeatenEgg wrote:
I tend to agree with Wineglass here, there are too many Malays being shown these days that look like heavy clydesdales. As it was Malays were bred for sport so should be athletic looking.

As to the sportiness of the Malay (as it may have been before it became an exhibition bird), have you seen the Madras Asil form Souther India? They are a very heavy boned, blocky bird.

wildman you are right, different styles require different types and Malay's has always known to be big and heavy boned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:08 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

wineglass wrote:
ruff wrote:

I have some nice thai malays at home will post a photo for you...also of some of my henny malays..

Please share some pic's :mrgreen:
thai malays? = thai cross malay?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:56 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

teddy wrote:
wildman wrote:
BeatenEgg wrote:

wildman you are right, different styles require different types and Malay's has always known to be big and heavy boned.

Malay game are classified as a heavy breed, so we should not be expecting them to look like half bred modern games! They should be fit yes, but keep in mind when you have large males that should weigh approx 5kg and females that should weigh approx 4.10kg and the breed standard describes them as being a muscular fowl then they should look a bit bigger/heavier/stronger than your standard light breed hf fowl!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:09 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Wineglass,

could you please post pics of your malays so it can be seen how much the modern day malay compares?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:40 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi All,

Just come across this posting board.

From excellent information from some very experienced breeders.

I am only new to Malay, but have developed a passion for them quickly. I have had OEG bantams for years and recently added some standard OEG to the mix. I breed the Carlilse type of bird over the Oxford type. Both are beautiful versions of the OEG. As all breeds do, each version has its positives and its negatives.

I have been told that my Malay has an infusion of Shamo blood in them, giving them a little extra height and slightly lighter build. I will try to upload some pictures of my birds to get other peoples opinions on them. My original birds were sold as pure Malay.
I am open to all comments offered by people.

Regards,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next