Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Malay Game - * Breed Profile *

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:16 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

I don't think a malay could ever be too big or too tall :)
I read somewhere that malays should be tall enough to eat off the kitchen table! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:27 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Yes I was thinking similar too. Love to see him eating off a table.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:38 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Geoff mine were between 72 and 78 cm on average when standing upright. Cocks that is.

Last edited by OEGS on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:46 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Wineglass,

from what I was told the line of Malays going around today here in SA was started with a cock from your yard and hens from Maywalds yard.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:51 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks for that height indication. I have two pullets that I am told are Malays, picked up from Kyneton auction. 8 months old at the time of the auction. I'll weigh them & see if I can figure out a way to determine their height & put up some photos in What is This? at some point for you to confirm if they're Malays. Will be another week or so yet, but I WILL get around to it ! I have no reason to think that they're not Malays, but having seen very few around & with me having no firsthand experience with them, I'm keen to know for sure. They sure are characters !

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:53 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Geoff wrote:
Wineglass & Andy I am no expert on Malays what height would you say they should be. A Standard Show Cage is what 2ft high and they should be rubbing on that so what height would you want them My Guess is around 27 or 28 Inches when stretch out fully how would that be?

In wrights book of poultry, they say a good pen of breeding malays should be a 38in cockerel put to a couple of 33in hens...
The tallest i ever got mine to was 32inch, and to me that was tall, he used to pull stuff out of my pocket all the time..

Just to give you an idea, 38in is "1 metre".. on me and i am 5f 8in, it is up to my belly button, "not to sure if the old fellers told a lot of fishing stories."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:04 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

BeatenEgg wrote:
Wineglass,

from what I was told the line of Malays going around today here in SA was started with a cock from your yard and hens from Maywalds yard.

That sound about right....My line went back to old "Coombs", and Maywalds went back to old Gorden Mangledorf. They both bred malays for most of there lives....

But when i got mine, and i know the same of Malcolm they were both very short strains, more like bantam malay's. for all those years inbreeding..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:06 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

He He "Wineglass"....
Me thinks the old Fellas Measuring stick, just may be very simlar to the Kiwi Stop-watches!!!
Ha ha
Any chook standing a metre tall would have to be on a box, I suggest!....
32" is even an enormous effort, I reckon.......How did their legs last?
Mr. Ripley wants to see 'em.....
Kev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:07 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Maybe of interest from the Feathered World Year Book for 1912 -

... and a sketch from the Feathered World Year Book for 1935 -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:34 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thanks Manna..

......That outline sketch is what i would like to see again at shows....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:35 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

The picture has the key, BIG feet! This is a good tip when selecting your breeders :wink:
Also interesting about the bantams getting a good rating back in 1912.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:52 pm 
shorten the legs and neck and you have a ko shamo.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:47 am 

hi everyone..

nice thread you have here..I have a Malay too, but had no idea it is called the Malay. Being from Malaysia Malay here means the local people, their race is called Malay. Here, the Malay Rooster is called Ayam Kampung.

Depending on the height of your table, they are not that tall to eat off it. But, yes they are the greedy type often wondering what you are eating and more so often, want a bite out of what you are eating. Thank God, I have only one. Wouldn't be able to handle more than that at home. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:10 am 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Wow great photo nil!
I like the poop bag for inside :thumbs: His comb looks a bit unusual, do you have some more photos of his head?. He looks a bit different to the birds we breed as Malay game in Australia, but nice looking bird all the same. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:56 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I still have the old line of Malay’s the same blood line as those during the colonial time, without any Shu-Shamo or any other blood in them, same as those mentioned and talked about with the ability to eat off a table top.

Unfortunately they never been popular and made the breed scarce, plus they eat like a horse with very little in return, clubs never accommodated pens high enough for shows including major shows. These problems limited their existence because the public don’t relies these fowl are available, big grown up males could easily suffer with stress or heat exposure during transport and being inside a tight pen while being shown ads to the problem, they tend to go purple in the face and die from a heart failure. Therefore only cockerels or hens can be exposed because fitting their body through the show pens is also a worry. Currently if they are shown they usually cramped up into a short pen, which makes the breed look horrible/not to their full potential stance, this is why most breeders don’t bother the risks involved into losing their best birds. I don’t show any of my birds.

They only come in duckwing, black/red, white pyle, wheaten and of course partridge although crele seem to have appeared sometime during the 70’s . I am still in doubt to this day about that line.
I never owned any creles because they looked lean and somehow different with a narrow face. May be they still around and improved since than.

I could never breed a clean silver or a clean golden duckwing males but is ok with females, somehow both duckwings seem to be fused in together, these days clubs seem to label both duckwings the silver and golden as one so they chose to use the wording “duckwing” during a show.

Roosters don’t fully mature until three years of age and have an entire different crow sound than any other Malay line or Malay cross Shamo or with an Indian cross or even an Australian game cross, their crow cracks without a sound during half way of doing it, once you hear it you be able to distinguish a Malay of this type without having to see the bird, hens of up to three years old lay around 30 to 45eggs annually between two and three clutches providing you don’t allow them to sit with their first clutch, their eggs have grooves carved in half way along the air sack side, they should never be totally white or dark brown, this is another way of telling if they have Shamo or Pit in them,( note: not always Shamos or Pit cross makes their eggs white or brown it depends on colour of the birds but often eggs loose their carvings ). During hatching eggs should be checked closely because often chicks become exhausted and die while making their first pip for air, the best chicks tend to be too tight fit in their eggs. I can often tell the bigest males even at two weeks they show their vigor and strength they also show their bare wing bows as soon they hatch, the bigger the feet the better the type. Their fluff should be tight and short with a silky sheen regardless their pattern, similar to a rex breed rabbit, chicks are very different than any other breed when held in hand, they tend to be slippery and could easily escape when held.

As grown ups their character and personality is interesting and varies from each individual, I wouldn’t trust them with toddlers because they can hit hard and fast for their size, they do this to protect their flock of hens or chicks, roosters take a huge roll into protecting and raising chicks they even call and feed chicks as hens do. Personally I don’t like them with a roach back as their standards demands, I prefer them with a slight droop instead but not totally flat backs.

They are long lived but unfortunately the bigger the roosters are the more likely to suffer with heart problems, when you notice them going purple and you wanted to prolong their life span it is best to give aspirin in their drinking water I found it does help and watch closely during hot freaky days, spray them with water but don’t chase them or catch them because you will do harm with stress by making them go purple. I do the same to my Indians and other heavy game breeds that I have. I always watch out for purple faces during hot weather.

I did breed the occasion bird with light coloured eyes but never with proper pearl eyes, although type of feed with proper diet could intervene with eye colour. Large wattles always have been their problem and when you think you have bred it out it keeps on appearing, these days I focus on size before anything else as I prefer them huge. They tend to go baldy around their face with age including around their chest, thighs and crop area. Their dewlap tends to also grow as they get older. The hens tend to wrinkle up with age around their face more so than males do and often seem to have their eyes almost totally shut and barely can see through their wrinkles. Hens tend to stop laying after their fifth year and if fed high protein during their egg laying season you might be lucky to get a few, but in pays because those few eggs are likely to produce huge healthy offsprings with plenty of vigor.

My line suffers with bend/twisted toes, large wattles and orange eyes, but they are hardy against diseases.

I don’t vaccinate or use any medication other than use aspirin to those who need it. I do this because I hate loosing my biggest birds in their third, forth or fifth year. Otherwise they are hardy and do well during rainy muddy days, I rarely worm them or threat them for lice, they seem to dust bath themselves and somehow tolerate worms. I buy their food in bulk and is all sweet.

Note: Large Australian game very similar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next