Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Profile - Ancona

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Profile - Ancona
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:13 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Ancona

The Named after the province of Ancona in Italy, this Mediterranean breed is one that has retained its popularity long after its first appearance as a show fowl back in the 1850’s. Originally a single combed breed, a rose-combed variety was also developed in the early 1900’s. A sprightly and lively light breed that combines egg laying abilities with an excellent feed conversion and a very captivating appearance.

Classification: Light breed Soft feather
Origin: Mediterranean
Colours:
Eggs: are white to cream in colour
Comments:
* A stung looking bird, great for the backyard.

Selecting birds:
- If for the backyard, any bird will do, they love to lay eggs.

Breeding:
A very easy breed to breed. Great for the backyard that wish to breed a few chickens for the kids.

Feeding:
The Ancona is a great backyard bird and would give you enough eggs on commercial egg ration.

Availability
The single comb black mottle in both standard and bantam are freely available. Both the red and rosecomb would only be available from dedicated breeders.

Exhibition:
MALE CHARACTERISTICS
CARRIAGE - Alert, bold arid active.
TYPE - Body broad, close and compact. Back of moderate length. Breast full and broad, carried well forward and upward. Wings large and carried well tucked up. Tail full and carried well out.
HEAD - Deep, moderate in length, rather inclined to width, and carried well back. Beak medium with a moderate curve. Eyes bright and prominent. Comb Single: medium upright with five to seven deep, broad, even serrations forming a regular curve, coming well back and following the line of the head, free from excrescences. Rose comb: resembles that of the Wyandotte. Face smooth and of fine texture. Ear-lobes medium, inclined to almond shape, free from folds. Wattles long, fine in texture, in proportion to the comb.
NECK - Long, nicely arched and well covered with hackle.
LEGS AND FEET - Legs of medium length, strong, set well apart, clear of feathers. Thighs not much seen. Toes four, rather long and thin and well spread out.

FEMALE CHARACTERISTICS
Allowing for the natural sexual differences, the characteristics are generally similar to those of the male with the following exceptions: The single comb falls gracefully to one side of the face without obscuring the vision. The neck is of medium length and carried well up. The body is round and compact, with greater posterior development than in the male. The back is rather long and broad.

COLOURS
Male and Female: Plumage lustrous beetle-green ground colour tipped with white (the more V-shaped the better). No inclination to lacing. The more evenly V-tipped throughout with white on beetle-green
ground colour the better. Tail feathers black to the roots and tipped with white. Wing feathers black tipped with white. Under colour dark. Beak: yellow with black or horn shadings; a wholly yellow beak not desirable. Eyes: iris orange-red, pupil hazel. Comb, face and wattles: bright red, face free from white. Ear-lobes white. Legs: yellow mottled with black, the more evenly mottled the better.

A Red Variety Is Also Recognised
Male and Female: Plumage: Each feather to have a V-shaped white tip, a narrow black bar separating the white from the rest of the feather. Head, neck, back, saddle, breast and body: ground colour chestnut to red bay. Main tail: black (bay or chestnut shading permissible). Wings: fronts, bows and coverts as per back etc. Primaries: black with bay or chestnut edging. Secondaries: outer web chestnut to red bay, inner web black. Under colour: red and slate, the darker the better. Overall the ground colour to be as even a shade as possible with minimal black, except the tail. Comb, face, wattles, lobes, eyes and legs as above.

WEIGHTS
FOWLS
Cock 2.70- 2.95 kg (6 - 6 1/2 lb)
Hen 2.25 - 2.50 kg (5 - 5 1/2 lb)
Cockerel 2.50 - 2.70 kg (5 1/2 - 6 lb)
Pullet 2.00 - 2.25 kg (4 1/2 - 5 lb)

BANTAMS
Male 790-910g (28 - 32 oz)
Female 680 - 790 g (24 - 28 oz)

SCALE OF POINTS
Eye 5
Comb 10
Lobe 5
Leg and beak colour 10
Purity of white, quality & evenness of tipping 20
Ground colour, sound to skin 15
Type and carriage 15
Texture, general 10
Size 5
Condition 5
TOTAL 100

POINTS DEDUCTIONS FOR DEFECTS
White or light under colour 10
Ground colour other than beetle-green 10
Tail not tipped or not black to roots 10
Wings any other colour than black tip with white 10
Bad comb 5
White in face 20
Lobe other than white 5
In-kneed 10
Squirrel Tail 10
Crooked toes 10
TOTAL 100

from the Australian Poultry Standard, 1st Edition, page 36
Feathersite: Feathersite.com

Post subject: Re: Profile - Ancona
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:47 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

These slides are a sneak preview of David Simons' presentation at the Breeding the Breeds Workshop on 22 September at Gympie. Booking forms at http://www.qldpoultry.com.au or phone the Secretary on 07 5499 0553. If you have an interest in breeding mottled birds it's worth going.

I thought this information was worth having in our breed profile.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:10 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Excellent profile! The only thing you have not mentioned is that they will not go broody. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:15 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

ummmmmmmmmmm tubby2,
they do indeed go broody,
not as frequently as other breeds,
but bianca who was a show quality black ancona would go broody annually.

they can move around too fast for their chciks if not confined, but they aer mothers.

Cathy, does David Simon have any information on red anconas, i would be very interested in seeing this. perhaps he would allow you to put up the slides AFTER the 22nd september :smile blink :bg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:23 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have had them for over a decade and the only one ever to go broody did it once and in saying that got board I suspect and got off her eggs after 5 days

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:38 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

well our personal experiences are different. i too have had and bred anconas for about ten years :bg so lets agree to disagree.

i agree that they are not a particularly broody breed, but do not agree that they never go broody :dontknow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:40 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I was going off a majority rule than hard fact. MOST Ancona hens will not brood.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:15 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

caladenia wrote:
Cathy, does David Simon have any information on red anconas, i would be very interested in seeing this. perhaps he would allow you to put up the slides AFTER the 22nd september :smile blink :bg

I doubt that he would want me to publish his whole presentation, but I can note anything of interest that is said about red anconas if you wish.

We keep a few black anconas here and we have had a hen go broody twice. It's a bit surprising when it happens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:33 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

thank you, that would be wonderful, i appreciate that as its hard to get information on reds, especially over here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:05 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I have 3 Ancona hens and at least one has been broody - very fiercely broody - several times. ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:48 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The standard of presentations delivered today at Gympie by the Feather Clubs Association of Qld was outstanding. Thanks to the Gympie Poultry Club for allowing the use of their venue.

Some photos of anconas seen today at the workshop - presentation on this breed given by David Simons.

Rosecomb bantam ancona hen.

Rosecomb bantam ancona cock.

Standard single comb ancona cock.

Rosecomb ancona hen.

Some discussion took place about the strengths and weakness of some examples of white tipping on wing feathers. I took a couple of wing shots.

Female single comb.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:57 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

thanks
they are good looking birds

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:14 pm 
Club Official

David's presentation was very informative and his Anconas as always were great specimens of the breed. It was very interesting to hear his comments on the differences in type between Anconas, Leghorns and Minorcas, as sometimes these differences are not always appreciated by the untrained eye. The Minorca has a longer, less compact body and is a much taller bird. He commented on the fact that some people incorrectly thought of an Ancona as a mottled Leghorn. The feel of the leghorn is less chunky and fleshy than the Ancona and its tail has a different shape.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:57 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Caladenia asked a couple of weeks ago if there was any information available on Red Anconas. Unfortunately I am not aware of much written information in Australia and given that they are an Australian creation developed over time about 20-30 years ago from "regular" Anconas showing a bit of red in the feathers to intensify the Red to the extent of where they are today, it is unlikely that there would be much overseas information on them (the Netherlands does have a very attractive Blue version however - ie blue ground colour with white tipping).

Try the Ancona Club of Australia (Adrian Saines is the Secretary) to see if they have any articles on Reds that they may have published in one of their newsletters at some point in time. If you have a look at the Ancona page on the Noel Matthews Memorial Poultry Show Association Inc website you will see some photos of the winning ones from our annual show at Rosewood this year - http://nmmpsa.yolasite.com/ancona.php These birds were exhibited by breeders from SEQ and northern NSW.

I had them about 15-20 years ago for a few years (large and bantam), but let them go to allow more room for my rosecomb Anconas and other breeds.

Have a read of the description in the Australian Poultry Standards and use this as your guide. Basically, you want as much chestnut to red bay (ie the "red") in the ground colour as possible; as even a shade as possible (allowing for the natural lustre variations you get on different parts of the body). Each feather requires a clean and clear tip, as V-shaped as possible. Between this tip and the ground colour you want a black bar.

Hope that this helps you a bit.

David

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:02 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

thank you very much David, that is greatly appreciated.