Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Indian Game profile

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Indian Game profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:02 pm 
oops i missed another question.

i start all my birds out on turkey crumbs. i start free range at about 2 weeks but start them gradually. somewhere along the line i move them on to mixed turkey and coarse lay. however saying this i do not always stick to any rule. some chicks run with their true mother and eat what she gets. they are slower to grow but soon catch up later when food interests exceed running around.

i scatter the feed of the adult birds and once the chickens start looking as though they might get too fat (those not full free range or in the adult pens) i move them to the indian pens to work for their feed. my indian pens are as big as the average suburban back yard (if not bigger as i have forgotten what one looks like) and need mowing regularly. if the grass starts suffering it means i have too many. i have too many :aaargh: .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:12 pm 
do you want to know what i feed my older birds??

well they get a mix of riverina coarse lay and riverina coarse grain mix and some dried dog food. the ones that are near the house get all sorts of things thrown to them from the kitchen window like fruit and vegitable scraps. they eat raw potato, melon etc etc. there is very little they will not eat. they don't mind prawn shells but do not get enough of these to really develop a passion. they also love mice and baby ratsand most likely frogs and snails and anything else that moves.

k

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:29 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I know the large indian game's egg laying abilities are poor, but are you able to give me a ball park of how many eggs to expect a year? One breeder I spoke to said she only gets about 30 eggs per hen a year- is this pretty average?
Do you happen to know of any breeders in the sydney to canberra corridore? Im pretty keen to find some pullets or perhaps eggs. We have 5 kids, so want a nice big meat bird.

Cheryl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:45 pm 
sorry not in that area but i do know of breeders close to the NSW/Qld boarder.

my sister has 3 of my pullets and she says she has heaps of eggs for her and her partner. however i would not garantee them through the winter even the young ones. i find that if they finish growing they only get fat until the summer comes. your climate is different to mine too so i have no idea. when they go broody they are the most stubborn of all hens to get off the cluck.

saddly i don't measure anything or count anything, except the rainfall in my rain gauge. not even my chooks, if i do i forget it straight away. i think i have trouble with dyslexia as i can totally muddle up numbers, even putting them in reverse. there is only room in my brain for one phone number (my own) and i sometimes forget that. i did have a science education and once could convert stones and pounds to kilos quickly in my head. i even did advanced maths and chemistry but sorry....not sure what i remember any more. i think n indian pullet would lay nore in a year than that. the bantams lay way more than they can sit on in a clutch.

k

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:53 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you .This is very informative ,I had plans to breed my 2 Indian Game pullets
to a Light Susex ,but now I think I might try to find a Indian Game rooster for them.
:catch:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:32 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Ruff, What weight are bantam and large indian game meant to be?
I have bantam indian game and am wondering if they are within the size range that they should be.
I couldn't see any weights listed in the profile so thought it might be good to ask here rather than start another topic.
Thankyou
Kylie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:51 am 
i have not ever seen a judge go by weight. i try to keep my bantams down and large fowl up.
The australian indian game club weights:

large:

male 3.6 kg min
female 2.7 kg min

bantam:

male 1255 - 1470 g
female 1020 - 1255 g

both my btms and large are usually way over this. it does not stipulate between ckl and cock and pullet and hen but it should. my bantams can look smal but are very dense and heavy. i would not try selecting an indian bantam because it weighs less otherwise you may find the judge will ignor it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:19 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Thankyou for those weights Ruff,
I have not weighed my birds, must weigh them now just to see how they compare to those weights specified.
I am guessing that they would go over those weights quite easily.
I'll have to try and keep this in mind when selecting birds in future.
Recently I choose the larger of 2 cockerels to keep as future breeding stock, nothing wrong with the smaller boy, all in proportion just smaller. If I keep going the same way I will end up with large indians instead of bantams :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:47 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

hey ruff, great profile!!
what is the white stuff on the first dark pullet?
ill try and get some photos of my indians tomoro to post on here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:03 am 
the white stuff is white feathers. the hen is almost white now. unfortunatly although attractive i have 2 more pullets developing it this year. they are not her chickens either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:34 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

hey ruff interesting you say the hen has white feathers and is near white now , i bought a few indians earlier this year one of which had a few white feathers in her the lady who i bought them off said she thought it would moult out , not that it concerns me at all ,i think a pure white indian would be quiet attractive.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:54 pm 
they are attractive when they are clean. my old girl is going through her yearly moult and would look lovely if the rooster did not find her so attractive too and wipes his muddy feet all over her.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:09 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

game breeder near the nsw/qld border now that would have to be handy to me . and this is my next project i am building pens at the moment to raise some meat birds .
hens should not be hard to find , just need some sussex , or orps or some thing along those lines should do but i need to find suitable game rooster , from what i have read on this site and other places i will need a long legged one.

johno

ps . those pics above are very nice looking birds .the more i look at them the more i think it would be hard to put them in the freezer .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:18 am 
this is the worst time of the year to buy birds as everyone has culled for the show season and the breeding season. you will be paying top dollar and i doubt if there will be any chickens available at the moment. i have backup birds at the moment but am loath to get rid of them yet untill i have chickens out. also there is an old indian game fellow after them as well and i never know when he will turn up to bum some off me, hence i don't have any and definitly no roosters as i only have 2 roosters and don't know anyone who i can get back up roosters off that i like and like everyone else i am loath to pay high amounts for a bird....i would rather swap.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:16 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Uploaded to Youtube by IndianGameClub
Published on Dec 22, 2012
National Federation of Poultry Clubs Championship Show 2012, Indian Game Bantams Standard and Non-Standard Colours.