Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - araucana cross

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: araucana cross
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:33 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Has anybody had experience with araucana crosses?

I am hoping to achieve a blue or green egg but larger than the typical araucana egg.

Post subject: Re: araucana cross
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:30 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Araucana crosses are known as 'Easter Eggers' The blue shell colour is dominant. If crossed with a brown egg layer you will get a khaki shell from the overlay of brown pigment. Crossed with a white shelled layer the blue shell colour will be retained. If you want blue eggs cross to a Mediterranean breed - the result may be quite flighty and you will lose some of the blue egg colour in the second generation.
Some of my standard Araucanas lay a 56g egg. I think that Araucanas are under rated as layers. They are compact bodied and good foragers, so an economical bird in their own right..
Personally I prefer not to turn a rare breed with a unique trait into a mongrel.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:33 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I am in the position one of my fertile egg suppliers sold all his araucana roosters because he found there was no demand for araucana's any more. While they are reasonable layers the size of the egg is small enough that it is not really commercial size.

I was thinking a white egg layer and certainly the leghorn would be a good choice.

However if someone has done this it seems silly not to consider their experiences and advice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:55 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I have mostly Ara crosses in my "commercial" flock for that very reason - I need reasonably guaranteed eggs of min. 60g size, and pure Australian Araucanas are a bit hit'n'miss in that regard currently. I know there are good egglayers out there, but they can be difficult to get and if I end up with 50g eggs, it's a bit of a waste for me.

My lot are currently Australorp x Araucana derivatives; mostly pure black, muffed/crested birds with the peacomb. Pretty good natures, excellent layers of green eggs.

Previous lots were Ara x Barnevelder; lovely stocky birds with olive-green eggs through to pale peppermint.

Ara x Leghorn would be an excellent cross. I've seen it in bantam versions but not full-sized. The egg colour of the bantams was stunning.

If I get myself a good pure Ara roo again I'll pop him over some of the Anconas and see what eventuates, or even over the ISAs (but that's really hit and miss and I like my crosses to be a _little_ more predictable).

I've got a gigantic Coro Sussex x Ara cockerel; just waiting to put him over some birds and see what comes out.

I strongly recommend using a straight-combed breed to mix with Araucana. The peacombed female offspring will almost 100% lay the blue/green eggs. Straight-combed female offspring will lay eggs the colour of the non-Ara parent. I generally sell them; I've got enough pure non-blue egglayers around.

If you mix another peacombed breed into the combo, it'll make it harder to tell who'll lay the green eggs :)

I do plan to keep a pure Ara flock, as well as the crosses, but I haven't had luck sourcing birds of the quality I'd like to keep just yet. It'll happen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:35 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

infoaddict wrote:
I've got a gigantic Coro Sussex x Ara cockerel; just waiting to put him over some birds and see what comes out.

Do you have any photo's? I'm interested in seeing what the combination would look like.

infoaddict wrote:
I do plan to keep a pure Ara flock, as well as the crosses, but I haven't had luck sourcing birds of the quality I'd like to keep just yet. It'll happen.

Have had the same problem, there are a lot of poor quality Araucana's out there. Time and patience and waiting for a good breeder who is willing to depart with a few good birds, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:39 am 
Great Game
Great Game

I have bred before slw cross ara and they went to the wifes cousin , 100% layed light green eggs some a little bit blue. Excellent layers of 60g eggs. Friendly too and a more solid then my pure girls.
Here is some of my 2 pure ara hens eggs compared to barnie eggs, mine lay a bit more to the green shade, sometimes i get a more blue one.
Attachment:
1471894653152635184519.jpg
1471894653152635184519.jpg [ 1.64 MiB | Viewed 8052 times ]
. There size is good, but my previous aras layed smaller eggs.
Attachment:
1471894653152635184519.jpg
1471894653152635184519.jpg [ 1.64 MiB | Viewed 8052 times ]
and here is in a carton mixed with barnie, slw and lorp.

Attachments:
1471895108353-536842260.jpg
1471895108353-536842260.jpg [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 8051 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:04 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

thanks for the info I weighed a few of my araucana eggs and they were more like 40g and they seem on the small side to me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:22 am 
Great Game
Great Game

In that photo in carton eggs were as follows from top row left to right
Slw, barnie, ara, barnie, ara, welsummer.
Barnie, ara, marans cross, ara, barnie, australorp.

So my ara eggs are of a decent size. The previous aras i had only layed small eggs probably 40g size..
If you were to cross to leghorn, or other large egg breed you should improve the egg size.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:30 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

pentaque are your 40g eggs from bantam or standard Aracaunas? The bantams are much more commonly available.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:46 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I would really like to be able to obtain Large Ara's that lay a nice clear blue egg, as many produce more of a green tint.

I am in Ballarat so if anyone has the above it would be welcomed

Spide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:30 pm 
Ol' Bustard
Ol' Bustard

I have Black Pullets that are Araucana-Brown Leghorn cross. They're for a breeding project I'm working on and they are the first generation.
These girls lay daily, a beautiful blue egg and the average weight is 50gms.
I have some for sale if anybody is interested. $45.00 each gets them. They're healthy, all laying and are at the moment, 8 months old. I have a Cockerel available if you want a pair, trio or quad.
Cheers,
Linz :)
0412 076 578 Text preferred due to awful signal coverage. I'm in Southern Gippsland. Mirboo.

[i]A lot of Andalusians. Anconas in Standard and Bantam PB Black Leghorns in Standard
and Bantam, Derbyshire Redcaps, Light Sussex Bantams.
[/i]
____ __ _______ _ _ _ ______ _ ________ _ _ _ _____

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:03 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

The Araucana I have are a bit smaller than an ISA brown locally I have only seen them around this size.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:26 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

spide wrote:
I would really like to be able to obtain Large Ara's that lay a nice clear blue egg, as many produce more of a green tint. ....

Yes that's the challenge isn't it.

I went sideways for a bit and bred some Ara hens to Marans/Blue Barnevelder cross roosters. And yes the offspring laid a large egg, nice mix of colours from blueish green through olives.

Did the same with my bantam Ara roosters - with crossed Pekin, bantam Wyandotte and Belgian d'Uccle hens. Now have a pen full of good little layers, mixed colours eggs from true blue through green to olive cream. Cute birds that I really wish I had not bred.

I wouldn't cross-breed again intentionally. Sue55 said in this thread:
sue55 wrote:
Araucana crosses are known as 'Easter Eggers' ... Personally I prefer not to turn a rare breed with a unique trait into a mongrel.

I totally agree with that: I won't use that "EE" term either, because it gives credence to what is just a crossbred - it's an Araucana/Whatever cross, not a named breed. If the eggs are a bit on the small side I'd rather live with that and produce good true blue eggs. Watching a friend's trio of large Araucanas, very correct birds, and if they lay a large truly blue egg I will be lining up to pay top price for them to bring into my pens. But no more Araucana crosses, over it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:40 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

PossumCorner wrote:
I totally agree with that: I won't use that "EE" term either, because it gives credence to what is just a crossbred - it's an Araucana/Whatever cross, not a named breed.

The term 'Easter Egger' isn't used to describe an actual named breed, it's more of a generic term for any cross breed of chicken that lays a coloured egg. I'd personally rather a not-to-standard Araucana be sold as an Easter Egger than a purebred. Hopefully it would help keep what should be culls out of Araucana breeding programs.

PossumCorner wrote:
Watching a friend's trio of large Araucanas, very correct birds, and if they lay a large truly blue egg I will be lining up to pay top price for them to bring into my pens.

Ooh, I'll be in on that too. Soooo many garbage birds out there being called Araucana, when in reality they don't even come close to the standard, except that they might lay coloured eggs (not blue most likely either).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:12 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I would personally like to see another purebreed developed that legitimately had green eggs, and where blue eggs were a fault :). Peacombed, no crest, muff or beard.

Wouldn't be hard - I keep accidentally developing them myself, but then losing the "foundation" stock to one thing or another so not getting far along the line to breeding true. Besides, mine keep being plain black and, since I'm developing my own breed, might as well go for something interesting. (Although if I could develop the purple-sheened black ones into green egglayers, that might be interest enough).

As to why - why not? A good use for all those non-standard Araucanas that annoy the proper Araucana breeders so much :) There's a dozen white egglayers, and umpteen pale brown ones, and even a couple of chocolate-brown ones (although we only have one in Australia). Why not more than one green egglayer? In fact, why not A green (not blue) egglayer? :)

(cat, meet pigeons :) ).