Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - egg storage

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: egg storage
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:58 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi, can anyone help us please? My sons have some beautiful OEG bantams who have started laying again (well 3 of the 8 girlrs are laying!). We are going to buy an incubator whilst they are at the Royal Melb Show but is there is any way of storing the eggs in the meantime to put in incubator in a few days time or do they need to go in an incubator immediately? The kids are desperate to breed from their own little chooks but we don't have any luck so far - the OEG's don't seem to belive in sitting on eggs too often! Also we are worried that once they have been at the show for a week they might stop laying. Appreciate your advice. From Chook boys mum! Gabrielle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:08 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

eggs are best left at least 24 hours before you incubate them,after a week to 10 days they decrease in viability so it is best to use eggs less than 2 weeks of age.
In the meantime the accepted practise is storing them inside ,(stable temp),pointy end down and tilt(turn )them at least daily---I put mine in an egg carton and alternate each end raised on a lumpof wood----pretty easy.

I am surprised you say the oeg are not broody---in my experience they are excellent sitters and mums

good luck with hatching babies,cheers pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:13 pm 
i store my eggs in 2 ways.

1) in the nest. while no hen is broody, the eggs are turned regularly by the hens laying.

2) i collect the eggs if i am worried the eggs will get soiled, rained on, broken etc or i am worried a hen will go broody on them or the dog will eat them. i put them in an egg carton and store them at room temperature. they are turned morning and night. by turning i prop the egg carton on another empty egg carton and change the end that is up. the eggs stored this way i keep for hatching and is no more than 10 days.

the eggs in the nest i can keep for 3 weeks at least to be hatched by a hen. making a hen hatch a full set of eggs by the same 2 parents is very useful.

eggs for sending to people by post i make sure are no older than a week before i send them, making them around 2 weeks old (sometimes more, sometimes less) when they are recieved by the recipiant and 2 days to settle before they are set.

i am sure that there will be more people to give you more technical advise. dry air can be an issue but not in my world.

k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:55 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

With OEG's you have a perfect incubator! The biggest elements in keeping eggs for incubation are:
Loss of moisture (keep in the dark away from drafts ( hatcheries store in controlled humidifiers)

Movement of the egg to prevent embryo sticking to shell , turn at least twice dailly and an uneven number of times , so as not the same side during each night .

Temperature , Hatcheries keep at 13 deg C ( This is optimum for viability )

Time . The longer the eggs are kept the less chance of hatch . WITH IDEAL conditions hatcheries will keep eggs up to 7 weeks ( to be able to supply peak demand periods such as Xmas ) I would suggest to you nothing over 2 weeks .

Vibration (such as motor running ) can destroy embryos . I believe this is the main cause of poor hatchings from posted eggs.
Good luck .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:04 am 
vibrarions hey? hmm that means it no good in my house at it vibrates even when the cat walks around :lol: but i see your point.

i think the sudden jolts of posted eggs is bad too. it all starts when they dumped on the scales in the post office, then thrown into a bag, then thrown into the corner, then thrown into the truck..........

i would love to follow an egg through the post in the summer.

and on a lighter note.......it is amazing what an egg can go through and still hatch :!:

k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:56 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

thank you for your replies, we have put 3 in a carton in the pantry and will turn them twice a day. I spose eggs that we put in the fridge a week ago are past it? Which is a shame as the one egg we would love to hatch came from the kids much loved wheaten that was killed last week. I wish we had known that we didn't need an incubator straight away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:11 pm 
well while you are spending money on an incubator buy a book. this will help you find out before the problem happens and save you are lot of time, money and grief....and wishing :wink:

k