Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Not what I expected - all chicks with same colouring??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:28 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi everyone,
apologies if this is a DUMB question, but...
My last hatch of araucana's (5 in total) are all pretty much the same colour - I hadn't expected that at all.
This was my third setting, and when collecting these eggs had the girls running with two roosters (they get on ok together funnily enough). Then hens that I collected eggs from are both splash, and the roosters are blue and black/red-gold in colouring (see http://chickilife.wordpress.com and click on 'egg parents' page for photos).
When they run together, both roosters seem to 'service' whoever they like, but I guess one may only be getting a look in with the ara's.

Any thoughts as to who the father might be? Can anyone have a stab at what's happening genetically for me to get this result?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:47 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

although they look the same I bet they are not----if these chicks are the result of the blue x splash girls and some will end up blue and some will be splash ( should be 50/50 split over large numbers)but a splash x black/red might give you blue also with maybe some red coming through on the hackle :D :D :D so you will end up with some blues(with or without red in the hackle) and some splash-----the splash ones HAVE to be x the blue roo, the blues could be either roo----cheers pam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:31 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Maybe one rooster is shooting blanks?

Cheers,
Michelle

Last edited by Ritavaleimbil on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:29 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

5 isn't a big number to tally sum up results from. You may hatch 50 and coincidently get all the same colour, and then number 51 is the other expected colour.

By hatching a few more you might be able to gauge your results further. The look lavender to me, both parents may be carrying it?

Hope that makes sense to you.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:39 am 
it is still possible that these arefrom the one rooster. they may mate with selected hens and you colected only those eggs.

also hens can reject the roosters. and just because the rooster gets the hen doesn't mean he gets the job done in time before ge gets knocked off.

i had a silver sebright rooster and a lavender rooster running with a big mob of hens. the hens were all gold and the lavender was gold. the silver was a double dose of silver. every chick (and there was a lot) turned out silver as soon as the silver was allowed to mix where as when the lavender was the only rooster in the mob the chicks were all gold. i couldn't believe the little devil was so fertile. these birds were free range but the roosters living in separates quarters.

unless you do definite one on one matings there is always the possiblity of doubt.

k