Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Cochin Breed Profile

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 12:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cochin Breed Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:18 am 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

Dennis is a most striking bird.

so are teh silver laced. envious. :mrgreen: :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:14 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Very good laced birds :thumbs:

Are these from Brahmas?
It is very hard to get this clean white feather, with no smutty spots on the white.

Can you give us some advice on how you got these?

Daza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:20 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Timbo,

I just adore them... Jac Adelaide isobrowns :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:29 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

OMG (-oh my gosh :biggrin: )

TIMBO I AM SPEECHLESS - :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dennis is the MOST handsome man I have ever seen :thumbs: , what lucky wives he has :lol:

Well Done :bounce:

Victoria

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:38 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Timbo

Did you say you were Flying over for the Cochin / Brahma annual show in Queanbeyan this year in July???? Cool Man :thumbs:

and (psst - smuggle some eggs for us PWETTY PWEASE :wink: )

Cheers

Victoria

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:36 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Daza wrote:

Are these from Brahmas?
It is very hard to get this clean white feather, with no smutty spots on the white.

Daza

Yes Daza, I used Wyandotte SLW in fact. SLW on partridge cochin, if you look at the Cockerel, he is still quite Dottie cock looking, though the wyandotte coming from cochin heritage, they can be similar. There was a lot of smuttiness (Mossiness in Dottie parlance) in the first lot, but they all had dotty combs, but carrying single comb. Mating the best F1's gave me a few single combed birds and cleaned up the feather a lot. (though some of the mossiness returned after the first moult) But as you can see, with selective further breeding they clean up quite well. They still throw a few horse shoe laced chested birds, and poultry murphy's law has applied, in that the cleanest marked birds have been the worst leg feathered birds.

My way forward regarding the dotty cock bird has been. I had a single combed GLW hen, so put a partridge cock with her. He is looking more cochin like. So I will be putting him with some of the best silvers to get a nice split silver cockerel of a similar phenotype. (Hopefully)

Here he is, still a bit young.

And see the dotty tail on the pullet! (English Dotty, rather than European cushion tail)

Oh! and this is an offspring of this project! A silver partridge Cochin. (When will it stop?? :nail: )What do you think of my bed sheet on a box photo studio? :lol: :lol:

Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you might have to eat them!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:20 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

my mum reasently got buff cochins from Brett o'brien from uki nsw and they really are the most beautiful bird with feathered legs mum liked pekins and orpingtons so now she has something that looks like bith then the other day at berry auction she bought a pair and was talking to the breeder and got another hen as well so now she has 1 cock, 2 hens, 1 cockerel and 2 pullets and she is hopeing to show them at the cochin club show this year and maybe get a few more pullets as well :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:28 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Well done Timbo as Feathered Friends has said you must come to our national show Down Under this year but you are not allowed to bring any Cochins as someone might get jealous now that would`nt be me would it lol.

The laced birds are very good and in time you will get more thigh fluff etc which really makes a for a good Cochin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:44 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Daza wrote:

Are these from Brahmas?

Daza

When you mentioned Brahma, it knocked a little memory engram, of a mutation that the Wyandotte to cochin produced. Which gives credence to the view the Brahma it from cochin heritage, rather exported to America from China.

Which then produced this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:59 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

WOW.
Isn't it amazing how close these are.
Great looking birds.

Daza

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:43 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

They are beautiful, Tim!

NellyG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:16 pm 
wow timbo, i don't tend to look in this discussion very often as i might make comment to some i disagree with their breeding views (not you of course) so while sitting here dieing of the heat in front of the fan and waiting for things to cool i opened up to have a sticky to see why the sudden interest again.

your birds are beautiful. that pale 'sport' fellow, do you think he maybe wheaten rather than eb? becuse that daughter of his is excellent...i bet you did not know how good she would be and discarded the rooster :lol: early.

i ask this as i have a couple of similar looking pekin ckls who look similar which i will put effort into keeping. the hen you used was the one in the photo with him?

that brownishness in the hens have you any thoughts on it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:35 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I passed the Brahma type birds on to a lady Called Jilly Potter in Kent, as she had a Brahma project going on. Of course there is the possibility of wheaten by the look, but like the phenotype it would be mutation, as all going into the mix were black tailed eb. But looking again, there is that possibility of course.

The Brown red, I think is the dreaded Autosomal Pheomelanin, One of the reasons that particular pullet found herself on her way to Kent. You will see there are a couple of the new flock with a touch of it, but there seams to be a gradual drawing down of the quantity of the unwanted colour, which leads me to think it is autosomal and it id red-ish. So I think it is AP Ar ar or what ever they are going to refer to it as. A pain in the neck is what I refer to it as!! :help: :biggrin: :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:48 pm 
good morning tim, food for thought, thankyou. i suppose the AR is wanted in the golds but not in the silvers, i think it helps make that rich gold.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:02 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

A lovely morning it is over here. Clear sky, so a bit cold at the moment, but it got up to 19 c yesterday!! I nearly had to take my fleece off!! :P

Yes it's the partridge that is the bounder supplying the AR. If you see the silver partridge boy he has quite a large dose of it. It's not as huge a problem as people make out if enough birds are hatched, a few come out with only a small amount, then less the next generation. I'll let you know if it is absceted completely after the next generation hatching or just hatched.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next