Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Cochin Breed Profile

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cochin Breed Profile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:34 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Some young ones hatched this year:

More pics:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7981631

Kai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:12 pm 
ahhh thanks you every one.

any others would be welcome, especially timbos.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:49 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

belgian girl wrote:
can i ask a ? are cochin born with yellow legs or do they go yellow as they age i have some young ones and only just starting with them they have kind of yellow but i would say more pale
in colour
bg :grouphug:

Though I agree with Karen (Ruff) on the fact of don't judge a bird by it's leg/skin colour. In that, a good type white legged bird, is better than a rubbish type yellow legged bird. However the required standard for a cochin is yellow legs, and the better the quality bird the richer yellow the feet and legs are. with the darker feathered cochins that will be the sole of the feet, with lizard on the tops and lower legs. And it is also true, a willow leg colour can be made look a nice rich yellow, by feed selection. But having said all that yellow legs are the world cochin standard, so that is the ideal target to aim for.

These are mottled chicks

A couple of 6 day olds with mom.

Which cockerel will be the lucky one to stay?

*images missing*

Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you might have to eat them!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:46 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Timbo good to hear from you again Happy New Year and all that.

As to Yellow legs the Americans are currently reviewing their view on yellow legs and are considering making either colour exceptable but with preferance always given to yellow leg providing the non yellow leged bird is not otherwise better in type ect.

I think we will most likely follw suit as it is maddnes when the breed is in such short supply to knock out ohter wise top birds jusat because there legs are not yellow.

Anyway we will have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:49 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

P.s I like the middle cockerel best although they are all pretty even and nice type ect, would not want to see them any paler as I have found buff birds always give trouble with white in wings and white underfluff if their top colour get to light .

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:42 pm 
america has no excuse to change to white legs. i am absolutly against changing standards because it is too hard.

timbo when he first bred his cochins didn't realize yellow legs were the standard. when to is amazment he found out he went to work and changed his birds from white legs to yellow legs.

it is as bad as wanting to change the eye colour of pekins from red to pale orange. down right silly.white legs are for orpingtons.

as a breeder to me there is the standards and that is what i aim for. if it takes me years then so be it. judges descretion should always be there but never ever change the standards because it is too hard.

my eye colour on my pekins fell back due to my idea that i could easily fix it. WRONG it has been the bain of my life for years. the hardest part about it was all the top stock around fell back in quality. the sneaky thing was that eye colour would be fine for a year or so then it goes pale.

if there is a problem, well fix it dear henry. nothing was meant to be easy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:45 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Hmmm some cochins would look good in my yard :lol: :lol:

one day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:03 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yes TCM, the dominance of white over yellow is the real problem. But I have to say moving the goal posts, because one has trouble scoring a goal, is not the real answer, and i would be very surprised if the American standards would change, over a hundred years of the breed standard being set as yellow legs, to what ostensibly would be a feathery legged Orpington.

The problem with the darkening of buff is they are on the wheaten (eWh) allele or Varietal group. This leads to virtually All attempts at darkening end up as black tailed and wing flighted birds, or at best severe smutting in those areas (As you can see on the broody). This point was made to me some time ago. " have a look on your paint colour chart and see what shades are referred to as Buff". But the whitening under fluff is a problem that is a constant.

But this is only the view on this side of the globe, and your decisions have to be your own! In some way I envy you and in others i don't.

Anyway thats me blabbering! Here are my first breeding pens of the year set up and laying well (Except the mottles, AGAIN!!)

*images missing*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:23 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

well now that we have had some rain and they are some greens for all my boys and girls all the leghorns have nice yellow legs and the cochins are starting to get yellow legs
as garbage2 said they dad has yellow legs and one of the mums has yellow legs the other has white legs
so we will see i think after a couple of weeks on the greens they will be fine
the did have to travel a long way and had a stop over at 2 other homes before they got to me
thanks bg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:28 pm 
it is amazing what good healthy green growing grass does. i was loking at my indians today and they are all how they should be and i was very worried over so many white legs a month ago and it was just the feed. the mangoes will be dropping soon and they will all have black horrible faces...from the mango juice :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:41 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

we been in drought for so long have had no greens for my boys and girls was starting to think would not have any more yellow leg boys or girls again
but now they are all starting to look good again
bg :thumbs: :thumbs:
if it rained for another month i would be happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:42 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

youridreezen wrote:
Hmmm some cochins would look good in my yard :lol: :lol:

one day.

Good shout!! Cochins would look good in everyone's yard (Or should that be a metre?) :lol: :thumbs:

*image missing*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:14 pm 
any photos of them in snow tim? did you get much snow this year?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:18 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Most of the snow has been up the east side of the country this year Kent London Derbyshire Yorkshire and Dorindas bit of Scotland. We have only had a dusting so far and I keep them in, other wise they wreck their bedding.

*image missing*

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:17 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

In reply to those who are concerned about the white legs, nobody is saying that the standard for the yellow leg should be changed I never suggested that. All we are saying is that because really good Cochins are so scarce in Australia and for that matter most other countries that birds that are other wise excellent cochins apart from yellow legs should be able to compete against their comrads and may the best bird win that is all, it is really that simple. After all something that is virtually unique to the Cochin Breed is in an ideal specimen you cant see with out handling the legs to tell what colour they should be, unlike clean legged birds where leg colour and preperation is so important, eg oiling the legs ect

In time we will have more Cochins around with hopefully some coming thru with yellow legs but at this early stage to use birds that are mostly Pekin just because they have yellow legs is very unwise.

Anyway just a few thought to stir up comment on this wonderful breed which has been my passion for the last 30 odd years to recreate and help other along the way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next