Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - show us your pure cross breeds

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:02 am 
ok there are rules to this one. the birds must be of known crosses and the percentage of the stated crosses would be prefered. for example you must say if the bird is 25% pekin,25% malay and 50% leghorn. also if you could state bantam or large fowl.

the ckl below is an immature large malay by bantam indian:

this should be interesting.

k

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:50 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Age too could be handy. Looking forward to this! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:06 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I think i can post these here as, technically, they are not pure breeding just yet.

5-6 month old Rhodebars. 7/8 commercial RIR, 1/8 Plymouth Rock.

6 month cockerel

5 month pullet

Last edited by ISA Green on Sat May 23, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:08 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Ok, I'll play. Most have seen these before, but here goes.

First cross Barnevelder, Blue Araucana =
These are all full brother and sisters.

So 50% barnie and 50% araucana. I am up to crossing these back to each other for the fourth season this year. May add a bit more barnie in this year again.

The cross was made to have a pretty, blue laced-gold, green egg layer. To have a coloured egg layer with a better temperament and better doer than the araucana. These are robust, foragers that are medium sized and lay an unusual coloured egg.

Last edited by coopslave on Sat May 23, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:26 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Ahh somewhere where this boy will fit in! :lol:

Pekin father over Wyandotte mother, sorry no idea what the parents colours were specifically.

As a youngster.

Grown up and just started to crow. Finally developed feathered legs.

Sorry ruff, I know how much you "love" this boy, but I have no other crosses :lol:

Cheers,
Michelle
PS: Free to anyone that wants him! :lol:

Last edited by Ritavaleimbil on Sat May 23, 2009 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:27 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

The Rhodebars are looking good ISA. Ruff, would love to get some of you indian crosses. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:21 pm 
a lot of my crosses i don't know percentages. i often choose birds with triple comb (which gets greatly modified with successive crosses to single comb too) to keep track of them.

i want to do a photo of the malay crosses to the indians (bantam vs large fowl indian, same malay rooster) when they are in training pens side by side but it means catching the birds at night and having 2 spare training pens. but this might motivate me.

i move those red barred birds, lovely crisp barring on the rooster.

michelli i have often looked at your crossbred palin and i wanfer if there is lacing in it as it has curious barring.

some lovely birds coming up, it gives everyone and excuse to show them. it also is very helpful in understanding the genetics...or not understanding as the case might be :aaargh: .

k

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:40 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Here are a couple of pics of my youngens. Both boys I think. I think theyre spectacular (of course Im biased. lol) What do you think? Im keeping one to breed some pretty backyarders. I have a silver pencilled and some gold pencilled hens that I can put one with. They are from mixed bantam wyandottes same father, mixed mums. Gold Laced Roo and Hen,grey laced Hen,silver pencilled Hen and a spotty red Wyandotte Hen. Not my eggs. I would like to here anyones ideas on which hen may have produced them :?

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:46 pm 
well mum was silver. almost look barred. you would be looking for a mother who is cuckoo i would think...'think' is the word though.

k

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:52 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Hi ruff, I had the eggs sent to me so I havent seen the parents. Im looking forward to seeing what chickies they make with my girls. Should be interesting :) They will make great kids pets I think. Cheers, Wendy.

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:56 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I think the "gray laced" hen you mention may actually be cuckoo. These boys look barred to me and a gold laced rooster over a cuckoo hen would produce these.

As Ruff said, though......there's always the "think" word. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:49 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I think there should be one more rule... one should try and state the intention behind the cross.

Isa Green... am liking the red barred birds. This is something I have asked about in the past and genetically speaking these guys are interesting. My understanding is that for red barring to occur crossing over must occur because the associated genes are on the same chromosome. Here's a link to this discussion: http://www.the-coop.org/cgi-bin/UBB/ult ... 280#000000 Apparently it isn't that hard to achieve but it is not a simple case of inheritence to begin with. Someone going to try for lavrocks yet :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:55 pm 
Beautiful birds on this thread.
I'd like to post my barnie cross bantam Indian game but I can't get outside in all this rain. She basically looks like a trimmer, fitter Indian game (but has a meaner personality).
The rhodebars look fabulous, ISA green. Such a nice chunky rooster, looks like a terrific utility bird as well as being good looking.
Ruff, the Malay cross Indian is approximately what I'm going to do next season with Australian game cross Indian. Yours looks like a strong and useful bird. Do you have any plans for the cross?
Nobody seems to have thought of this topic before. Thanks, Ruff.
Edited: Ah, just saw TasV's post, and I like the suggestion of saying the intention behind the cross (if people want to, that is — sometimes there's no real intention besides experiment).

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:01 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

No intention in my little ones. Just what I wanted for the kids.When I put one of them with my girls I hope to get pretty birds for pets. Most people who want backyarders want pretty looking birds and alot want bantams due to space restrictions. Im going to breed some for that market. :)

Sorry if I shouldnt have posted here. I just really like the look of my little non standard colour boys :)

Cheers, Wendy

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:23 pm 
now if you want me to start rabbiting on behind my crosses i would go on forever. i like to see what turns up in a cross, what dominates and what disappears. i like to see the personalities too, like candler says indian game crosses can be extremely aggressive.

with the indian malay in the large i was looking at sloping back and perhaps making the indian larger. in the bantam cross it was not something deliberate but when i worked out what happened then the old brain started ticking like 'will i get small bantam sized malays when i brother sister cross?', 'how will the ckls compare to each other (the bantam vs the large indian) in size differences?' i am very interested in seeing how malay they look. what i also discover is that i see alot of so called pure malays that could very well have a lot of indian blood in them.

i don't think there has to be a reason for the cross. many crosses happen by pure accident. my first lavender pekin to indian was an accident and all the way along the results of this first cross have been more half hearted breeding because to make something new can take years and years and the act of setting out to do it means you may be commiting yourself to years of frustration, hope and abuse (and loneliness :lol: ). some crosses can be very unispiring but when you do the second cross or the brother sister cross(F2 it is called) the results can be really exciting...but then the plod is on to achieve a goal.

and another thing i learn by cross breeding....there are a lot of people who tell porky pies about their birds :lol: .

k

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next