Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Langshan Experts - Croad or Aussie? NEW PICS

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:59 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:49 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi all

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between Croad and Australian Langshans? :?

I have 5 'Langshans' - 8 weeks old - but I don't know what type of Langshan they are. Can anyone advise me?

Also, are the Standards available online anywhere? Mine aren't for showing but I would be interested in selecting the better examples for my backyard breeding.

Thanks
Michelle

Last edited by Chelley on Wed May 27, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:19 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

do you have pics of the birds from side on? they look aussie to me.

cheers jakyb

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:35 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

With the colour and the size for age I would say Croads . Pitty the males feet are not more visible and yes a side shot will confirm .
Standards are not online and no longer in print until the new one is out ( But COULD be a couple of years !)

Side shot to show clearly tail and feet please :D

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:22 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Ok - here are some more pics I had on file showing feet and side view - I can take some better ones if these aren't what you need so just let me know. Really appreciate the help on this - thanks! :thumbs:

ImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:49 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I had missed the thread going back a few weeks ago re shorter outer toes ( Infact it is longer middle toe and hence Croad ) I only picked this up looking through your Gallery for better photo . Tail still has a long way to go . Not sure they are pure (Type and stance not quite there ,but only babies as yet )

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:39 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Some of the photos seem to show yellow shanks, if that is so there is something other than Langshan in them,
David

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:44 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

Agree with Blackdotte. The yellow in shanks is a real concern. From what I can see I would suggest that they are not pure. The eye colour is suspect as well. Have they pure black feathering?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:59 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Eyes do look a tad light and some shanks yellowing in SOME photos . This may just be the camera or light ect . Not ALL photos show this in the Gallery .
Do you have Croads Denis? David knows , but I am playing with WHITES. Any thoughts , hints ect ?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:34 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Yes, all feathering is pure black with a green sheen, but yes, I know two do have a yellow tone to their legs (not as bad as in photo though). The others are a pinky colour under dark scales. What should they be? :?

Also I've noted toe nails differ - some have all white, some are a mix of dark and white.

And what colour eyes are they meant to have.... dark brown I assume? All have a greeny-grey but I thought they would darken with age as they are still only 8 weeks. :?

What about egg shell colour? They were all from speckled eggs. :roll: (the dark one was the barnie)

Have also noticed that they have a lovely "song" unlike any of my other chooks ... does anyone know what I am talking about here??? :confused:

Gee - I thought I had pure breeds (not that I bought them as such, they were given to me). The person I got them from has barnies as well so could that be the yellow tint to the legs I wonder? I don't want to show chooks but I would like to do my bit to ensure the longevity of pure breeds in the backyard. :mrgreen:

Thanks for your input everyone,
Michelle

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:55 am 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Did the sussex in the pic come from the same place / eggs

cause it also has yellow legs, this may explain that the birds are not 100% pure.

but if you are not concerned about that then just enjoy the chooks.....

cause the nect concern will be whats male and whats female..... :lol:

Heidi

PS where in the highlands are you?

'Let us be judged not by how we fall, but by how we rise after falling'

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:55 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi - no the sussex were from someone else. Only the barnies and langshans live together where I got them from.

I don't mind really, they are really pets and egg producers to me - its more from a permaculture point of view that I would like to maintain pure breeds. Guess I will be asking for help later in selecting the 'nearest to pure' to keep :roll:

Michelle

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:07 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

i am leaning towards croad but with a few imperfections ..the legs , the eye and little bit of shape .....not tha i am any type of expert ...just comparing to my hatch -about the talking .....yes they certainly do and the grown up hens still talk
i have lots of photos http://wwwchooks.blogspot.com/......here if you are interested.