Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - High Protein Breeder ration = healthy eggs and chickens?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 829 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:10 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Hi Tash
I will PM you where I go chook food shopping.
Jude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:21 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Tash's Farm wrote:
buckethead what are the grains you feed your chooks and where do you get it? Just thought i would ask you as you live near me and therefore would have to shop in the same places as me :) I am about to collect 70kg of wheat for $31.50 but dont think they will be selling at that price for long

Hi Tash
I feed the chooks a mix of wheat, corn, oats and sunflower seeds. Thats their main food. But they also get lucerne chaff, molassas, apple cider vinegar and garlic, cat food, shell grit, kitchen scraps and weeds and grasses.
I shop all over the place where ever its convenient. I very rarely go to the Garden Shed because they can be alittle pricey at times. But I get a lot of wheat from Patches here in GT. I go to Launceston a fair bit and I like Pets Domain they have a good range at good prices. I also go over the river to Beacy a fair bit and I go down the road to the Exeter feed store. They are very good. They have a wide range of stock and pet food at very good prices and they alsways have acv and molassas.
You did well with the wheat, thats a good price. :)
Jude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:25 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Ok how on Earth did I manage that, Oh well some people are just gifted :lol: , not to worry I will leave it here now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:07 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

G'day All
I've managed to read it all!! Took me all day though, in between doing animals, cooking dinner etc.
What a fantastic amount of info, I have notes everywhere now.
Thanks Mick for all your ideas, how's your cow going?? I can't wait for mine to calve.
Do you feed your horses the sprouted grains?
Cheers
Carol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:53 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

So glad to have found this thread, :lol:
I was quietly sitting in the corner, not wanting to fess up about not feeding my chooks pellets and not wanting to.
(The idea of it is quite unsavoury.)
They do look ever so healthy but I am new (well we had chooks when I was a kid) to this game so was slightly unsure of my strong feelings about not feeding pellets.
I have been doing ok with the girls getting a mix of wheat, corn, pigeon peas, sunflower seeds, free ranging daily.
They have just taken to eating olives like mad.
There is an olive tree in the backyard that I have not had a chance to harvest and to my surprise the girls are mad for them.
Considering they will not touch vegie scraps, turn there noses at the organic broccoli ...
I would have thought the olives too bitter but no...

someone a few posts back asked about oats and earlier on (maybe page 2 or 3)there was a post talking about the B-Glucan in barley not being good for chooks, maybe this is the reason for oats not being good in higher quantities as they are also high in B-glucan.
just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:23 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Chookrel, I really think this is one of the most interesting threads on BYP. I think it's a bit of a shame it's in 'breeds and breedings' because it covers subjects so much wider than that and really is a great resource about all aspects of nutrition. Those of us who don't breed just have to stumble on it by ourselves! :lol:

I'm interested in your chickens liking olives. We also have an olive tree in our yard and the chickens show no interest at all in eating the fruit. :? The wild birds certainly do eat the fruit, so I assumeed the chickens would too, but no. Just not interested.

My chickens also don't eat parsley and don't seem particularly keen on silverbeet. I deliberately established both of these in anticipation of getting chickens, and although both have been nibbled a bit, they are still growing strongly. The parsley is growing in containers right in the chicken run and the silverbeet is readily accessible in a part of the garden where the chickens often forage. :hmmm:

I really believe chickens have more instinctive sense than we often give them credit for, even after many, many generations of domestication. In an ideal world we would be able to give them free access to dozens of different plants and hundreds of species of abundant bugs, and let them choose what to eat and when to eat it.

Failing that, we have this thread. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:20 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi,
I have found chooks aren't really keen on silverbeet also.
I was given some "Comfrey" recently to grow for my chooks. When i throw that in, my chooks absolutely love it.

No one should feed their birds "one" only grain whether it be wheat, barley or oats. Please remember no grain has all the nutrient requirements that poultry need. We must supply different grains so we supply all the nutrients. Including greens, meat, etc, as previously discussed.

You gather the information and you make the decisions.
If they can do it, why can't I.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:42 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Wow what an amazing thread!! Thank you to all who haved shared their recipies and experiences. I currently breed silkies and have decided to give this a go. I don't have scales etc so I am doing a rough mixture of the following:
Five sccops of wheat protein level 12%
One and a half scoops whole corn protein 8%
One scoop lupins (could find no information on bag for this)
half scoop grey striped sunflower seeds protein level 20%
I am soaking and hanging this mix (it lasts four days - so some sprouts) and when fed adding a light sprinkle of lime, a couple of handfuls of molasses soaked lucern chaff. I also make a mash once a week of a few cloves of crushed garlic, black and gold canned tuna juice n all, a few slices of bread, I put this all in a bowl with a cup of hot water and then leave until cool and serve :biggrin: This is my first week of doing this, so I was just wanting other people's opinion if they feel I am providing enough protein. I haven't sourced any bandsaw dust or meat meal as yet, I do sometimes however - perhaps once a month serve them up a little diced liver - which they devour. They also have shell grit available at all times and all pens have their own decent sized runs of freshed grass etc... I move then pens once a month to fresh ground also. Any hints or tips on how this could be improved would be greatfully accepted.
I also read with interest the posts on chicks and dairy, I have always fed my chicks milk soaked bread every second day and they grow to be very healthy birds indeed, I truly believe this helps my babies grow into strong healthy adults. I also spoil my breeders with this treat once a month :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:24 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

This is by far the best read on BYP for me yet! Taken all day and i mean ALL day (now 9.30pm) to get through between animals chores shopping and kids etc... thanks to all who have contributed.

Came across this as im desperate to cut feed costs... hatched out over 300 chicks from oct to dec and now after reading this thread ive got a handle on what im going to do and armed with some good info to draw up a feeding plan based on some of the information in this thread and supplementing with other things relevant to our situation.

Headed down to the local veg store and have agreed to pick up a wheelie bin of scraps each day (had to leave some for his mate who has pigs) and ill be hitting up the bakery tomorrow, and the dairy we get our milk from next week. Just the kick in the pants i needed to start the new year.

Sprouting is the way to go for us at the moment till we rotate the chooks behind cows for extra protein in the blown patties. Also im going to have a chat to a few of the stables around here and see if i can get me hands on some of those horse apples.

Just wanted to pop in say hi, thanks for all those who added and Micki for his candid approach.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:18 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Wow! It took me about 3 days. Mind you I was squeezing it into evenings and not reading continuously. I tried some of the ideas but I have to admit I have dropped most of them as being too labour intensive for the benefit with my small number of chooks. I'd be interested to here if there is anyone here who mixes their own feed and sprouts grains regularly as an alternative to commercial feed mixes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:00 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Claudicles, I don't sprout grains but i do mix my own chook and chicken feed all year long. I haven't used commercial pellets for about 10 years. I know my chooks are healthier now than they were back then. I mix up on a weekly basis. I purchase by the ton for wheat, when i purchase x amount for each separate grain, meatmeal, lucerne or additive. I don't use anything the chooks won't happily eat as it is then just more expence/waste. I believe it is not only better for my chooks but i can promise you your eggs and if you eat your excess birds the meat tastes much better also. So yes, it is harder than pouring pellets into a feeder but the benefits are worth it. But thats only my opinion. lol

You gather the information and you make the decisions.
If they can do it, why can't I.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:51 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Great to see this float to the surface !

I've started breaking my chicks early this year on the grain ( was too tight to go buy lotsof starter ) so by a week old they are on soaked grain full time.
The weather out at Shooters Hill has disrupted my breeding no end, lots a cold night to knock chicks around so under hens from now on they will be slipped. The hens break them on grain extra early which is a great bonus n the chicks feather quick n plump up fast !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:59 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

WOW! :shoc Not sure how I discovered this thread but so, so glad I did. It is like sitting around a table with a whole bunch of folks throwing in info and ideas into the discussion on feeding. I am only up to page 9 and am I am just loving the information and am pleased that I have made a good start with my feeding regime by avoiding pellets as just to processed. This thread will definately help me streamline things and am starting soaking and sprouting today.

:laughing OK back to page 9...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:50 pm 
Ol' Bustard
Ol' Bustard

Kerry, this thread is an amazing resource but... You need to commit to feeding manually with this method. Not everyone wants to be tied down having to feed birds daily.

The very good pellets are good if you want a weekend away or a holiday but hand feeding can be a chore.

It's the way I do it (hand feeding) and I enjoy the process and I really dislike the processed foods. I am prepared to give up my time in the mornings and again in the late afternoons to prepare feed for my birds.

It';s something to keep in mind when considering an entire change of procedure.

Linz :)

[i]A lot of Andalusians. Anconas in Standard and Bantam PB Black Leghorns in Standard
and Bantam, Derbyshire Redcaps, Light Sussex Bantams.
[/i]
____ __ _______ _ _ _ ______ _ ________ _ _ _ _____

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Golly I'm up to page 33 now but I have questions I want to ask about adding meat to my chickens diets. They are free ranging on grass among some fruit trees but not on a huge area but get greens from the veggie patch every day, but I only have 9 chooks at this time so there is plenty of room and plenty of greens for all.

What I want to know is can I use some of this product that I use for my dogs to feed to my chooks or is the fat content to high at 21%? If it would be OK to feed a couple of times a week how much per chook?
http://www.bigdogpetfoods.com/product-v ... g-mince-15

Active (2kg Mince)
Ingredients

Prime beef trimmings, crushed beef bone, crushed fruit and veggies (carrots, broccoli, celery, spinach, apples and oranges), beef fat, liver and garlic, probiotics ground flaxseed, alfalfa and kelp powder.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 829 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next