Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - High Protein Breeder ration = healthy eggs and chickens?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 829 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:23 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Ron is quite correct, getting good protein content is essential if you want them to do something other than just survive and perhaps lay an occasional egg.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:05 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Ron and andrewschooks

I was assuming a higher protein level for the sunflower seeds and guessing at:

2 parts wheat @ 12.5% = 25
1 part corn @ 9% = 9
1 part sunflower seeds @ 26% = 26
Total 60 /4 = 15%

I was taking those percentages from http://www.lionsgrip.com/protein.html

This more credible site puts sunflower seeds at 20%: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3670?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=sunflower+seeds

So you are both right and I was being overly generous with my 'guestimates' and it's probably closer to 13% and even lower with the addition of fruit and veg.

Interestingly though these chickens are healthy and laying well. Perhaps it's because they are on deep litter and so they get sufficient bugs from the ground.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:44 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi,
I have tried getting the UNEForm.xls file from the link you referenced, but link is dead. I'd like to know if you have a copy to share. I'd appreciate that.

(It would be nice if anybody here has a copy or working link to share with me)

Best regards,

KazJaps wrote:
I've attached a poultry feed formulation program (Excel Spreadsheet): UNEform.xls
by Evan Thompson, University of New England.
It was originally available at the following link, but I couldn't find it online, after a search:
http://ansc.une.edu.au/ansc/nutrition/downloads.html (broken link - only for reference)

It has lists of feed ingredients (with nutrient stats), nutrient requirements for layers, broilers, etc, plus all the formulas needed to determine costs/tonne of input feed list, & it compares your feed ingredients to nutrient requirements, so you know if your feed mix is balanced or not, etc. For example, it not only works out Crude Protein percentages, but breaks this down to essential amino acids, & so on... The spreadsheet is easily assessable for editing, i.e. you edit % protein levels (for nutrient requirements) if you wish.

I did at one time compare production layer nutrient requirements to layer breeder nutrient requirements, & came up with the following table. This lists only the nutrients that differ from production layer requirements:

Nutrients Totals Recommended for Breeders Extra Breeder Additives compared to Layers
---||Totals Recommended for Breeders||Extra Breeder Additives compared to Layers ||
Manganese (mg) || 60 || 30
Zinc (mg) || 65 || 15
Iron (mg) || 60 || 10
Copper (mg) || 8 || 2
Vitamin E (IU) || 10 || 5
Riboflavin (mg) ||3.80 || 1.60
Pantothenic acid (mg)| 10.0|| 7.80
Biotin (mg) ||0.15 || 0.05
Folacin (mg) ||0.35 || 0.10
Pyridoxine (mg) ||4.50 || 1.50

Source of data: Nutrient Requirements of Chickens and Turkeys, by Jeffre D. Firman

http://www.afn.org/~poultry/flkman9.htm

* Note, there was no difference in protein % for production birds to breeders.
* Note, it is a near exact science now, with commercial poultry breeder corps producing their own analysis of nutrient requirements for their specific lines, & for specific management practices (eg, caged, deep litter, free range, etc), ie far greater accuracy than the above link/document.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:29 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

tomifella wrote:
Hi,
I have tried getting the UNEForm.xls file from the link you referenced, but link is dead. I'd like to know if you have a copy to share. I'd appreciate that.

(It would be nice if anybody here has a copy or working link to share with me)

Best regards,

That website seems to be gone.

This could be the file.

Attachments:
uneform.xls [167 KiB]
Downloaded 17 times

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 829 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56