Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Is this a form of Albinism?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:04 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi All(ruff),

I was sent this photo this arvo, it is the result of a light bar rock cross with a blue rock. If you look close there are fine barring and some colouration on the wings. I know these are not my birds i have permission to post, it is just interesting it is also interesting that the leg pigmentation is white and also beak as these are yellow in rocks, i asked if the blues were pure and the lights i am going on what i have been told. Also the person said that the solour of the barring is pinkish and also pink eyes at birth.

Cheers

Christian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:03 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Interesting Christian... Do you know how old the bird is? Just wondering if it's large or bantam. In the photo the legs look quite disproportionate to the rest of the body... particularly for a Rock

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:30 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

The legs are interesting but more interesting to me is the white beak :shock: It would be great too see the undercolour in the feather as well as the wing feathers.

It does raise a lot of questions :? I wonder what the ones from this mating look like.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:36 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi chooks rule,

I am unsure but hope the owner comes online to enlighten us all a little more. I read a few previous topics i think it is incomplete albinism, as the bird has a red eye?

Cheers

Christian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:28 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Looks like it to me. Red eye white beak seems a give away.

To the owner,

Wrap this one in cotton wool, it seems to have something very interesting going on.

Raf

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:48 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

What about splash barred? :hmmm: :hmmm:

Thats what i thought it was

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:51 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

hmmmm :hmmm:

I think its too white for splash. It looks like its been washed in Bleach :shock: and it shiny white, not dull white.

Yes there are some coloured flecks, but they look different. Not like splash. No, too white I think. Just my op, but splash doesnt explain the beak and eye.

I think the red eye is clearly albinsm in some form.

Cheers
Raf

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:57 pm 
hello intochooks,

i don't know as i have not bred an albino rooster yet. my albinos have yellow legs. this bird is very interesting...i shall put the photo on my computer and think about it.

the eye colour could be from the photograph. my albinos eyes go quite drk by adulthood eve though you could almost see through their heads when they were chickens.

i have seen another bird up recently that could be albino....some one wanting to breed blue rocks.

my albinos came from barred birds and hutt back in the 1940's mentioned albino birds coming from barred birds....so it would not surprise me if this was not a common mutation in barred birds.

i am slowly trying to work out more about this albinism from my own birds. at the moment i have a red hen set to my albino carrier. i have yet to put him to an albino hen to get a rooster (wanted to do it last year but death got in the way).

thanks heaps for the photos. as soon as i know more i will definitly post here.

what is his eye sight like??

k

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:19 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi Ruff,

thanks for your comments i'll pass them on,

cheers

Christian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:36 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for looking at my boy. I had 2 but 1 died. It is from ablue rock and light barred mating.He has red eyes and stumpy legs.He is a standard not bantam. He weighs close to 4.5kg and still growing. He is about 26 weeks old or close to that. When he was tiny he was very pale nearly pink and his barring on him now looks pink in places. His under colour is white tothe skin with white skin as well. His flight feathers are white underneath just the edge has that dirty look. High gloss on his feather. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:05 am 
mummaroo is he related to those birds in another topic where someone is planning to breed blues from very grey looking rock hens???

k

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:10 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi ruff,
Yes he is. The grey looking hen is just poor light she is blue.The blue hen is his mother and light rock rooster was his dad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:31 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

From the information supplied and reviewing the literature it is more likely to be Incomplete Albinism than Red Eye or Complete Albinism,
David

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:46 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi David,
Thanks, ok everyone! What am I going to do with it now. Any ideas at all.Cant just keep it. I have to do something with it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:59 am 
the albinism i have in my pekins is a sex linked albinism. it is an incomplete albinism like yours.

i have roosters that are carriers but because it is recessive they do not show it. they need 2 doses to make them like yours. what is interesting is that half their daughters when mated to a normal hen are albino, recognized immediatly by their pink eyes. if your rooster has the same albinism as mine then you can sex link all his chickens to a normal non albino hen....all his daughters will be albino,
and all his sons normal, but carriers.

the birds have reduced eyesight so do need a bit more care, best not kept with an active mother or normal eyed chickens as they will out compete the albinos. however they do learn to cope with reduced eye sight with proper management.

you can experiment with him and find out more or you can dispose of him and never know.

k