Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Lets talk about the Brahma - a rare breed

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 501 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:14 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I have been asked to start a topic on this magnificant breed. And to put a few pics in of my own Brahmas.
Please feel free to join in and put any of your pic's of Brahmas up too.

Origin: Asia
Classification: Heavy breed, Soft feather
Egg colour: Tinted

Quote : This old breed caused a sensation when first imported from India to the USA in 1846. They were originally called Brahma-Pootras, after the river of the same naem, which divides India and China. It would appear that the breed died out in Australia after the second World War. Recently it has been re-created from its own descendants in many colours and patterns, in both the Large fowl and Bantams. (this is quoted from the Brahma Club of Australia's Brahma Standards).

Below is a picture of my beloved "Brahmy". His colouring is Silver Crele. His dad was Gold Crele (sadly no-longer of this world) and his mother is a Dark hen.

This next picture of family outing is his mum and dad and brahmy is at the front, near the step as a wee nipper.

The next picture is of one of my Light pullets

To be contd on new page

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:26 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

They are a brilliant bird, very docile in nature and lovely to watch. They love company and come running to me whenever I go outside.

They are a quiet bird and by this I mean that they don't announce to the world (as my Langshans do) "Look at me, I have laid an egg" and set the whole flock of birds off. They are good layers too. My Brahmas go broody each year and are really good mothers even adopting chicks hatched by the incubator up to 6 days old already.

I first became interested in the Brahma last year when on the notice board there was a cockrel for sale (which I purchased along with some female Brahmas too_. And there my love affair with them started.

I have Lights, blue light, Dark, Buff, Blue buff Columbian, Silver crele, Gold crele & Gold Partridge, all in Standard (large) . I also am trialling with another breeder a new colour for the Brahma.

We need more people in Australia to breed these Beautiful birds.

The Brahma Club of Australia is based in Victoria but they are a wonderful club and welcome newcomers with great enthusiasim. They hold a yearly show and has been held in Yass with much sucess. They are also including the Cochin into the club, and this is another lovely breed.

Happy reading
Victoria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:29 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

That's great Victoria, would love to see some more pictures of the different coloured birds you have.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:34 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I will go outside over the next couple of days and take some decent pics of the other colours.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:35 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I too have fallen head over heals for the breed, specifically though the Gold Partdridge, I met an older Cock once and had to have some. I am in Tasmania, and was very lucky to have been put into contact with a very helpfull breeder in NSW, who went well and truly above and beyond the call of duty to send me some birds, as I did not want to rely solely on getting eggs sent in etc, you should have heard the fellow from dogtainers when I explained what I wanted them to do!!!!

The girls have just started to lay, (under the bloody duck though!!!) so I am hopefull of having some babies of my own soon. They are very quiet, and certainly get along well with the ducks and also pheasants!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:29 pm 
i have a solitary light brahma ckl and most impressed with his good nature. i bought him as a lice ridden terified mature ckl at an auction. he has settled down into a very friendly handsome bird:

when i was in england i saw some beautiful birds. this is one colour i saw a blue pile or something similar:

a flock of silver partridge or otherwise known as dark brahma:

this is a brahma cross cohin:

thanks for starting this feathered friends. i am interested in more info if anyone has any....

Last edited by ruff on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:58 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Thanks Ruff.

I always love your pics. The silver partridge is called "Dark" and the male is the Pullet breeding cockrel as he has a spotty chest (not all black).

I have just taken a few more pics of different colours that I have

Crele Cockrel

Gold Partridge Pullet

Partridge Rooster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:03 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Sebastian

some head shots taken a few months ago

and just a shot of 2 of my light pullets straight after their bath

Cheers

Victoria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:08 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

This is a problem, all these lovely pics of such lovely colours, and those of us with just one colour, want more, and those husbands that are hard at work building new delux chook pens to house the birds we have (so he can have his garden back), will have to build more pens.......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:19 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Kylie777,

How do you get live birds sent over to you?

My husband had to put together 4 new chicken tractors as he wants his "Massive Shed" back to house 1 tractor and 1 ride on. Now it has some poultry training pens and supplies but heaps of room with nothing else. :roll:

cheers

Victoria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:35 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

The birds were delivered to the airport and Dogtainers took it from there, organized the cages, connecting flights etc, expensive, but then add up eggs, waiting, raising birds, mishaps along way etc, and well I wanted them, and this way i could get them.

If the rain holds off concrete slab should be going in tomorrow for new pens, its taken days to dry out enough just to get the truck in, and there are still the other two pens we already had (they were built before the house!!!), three chicken tractor type pens and the chick pens / brooders in the pen, I may have to give up my day job.......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:44 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

i just went over on the
spirt of tasmania 2
and picked them up at the same time as the rabbits
:hmmm:
isaac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:00 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

but if the boat if a 4-5 hour drive each way, and you work 7 days a week........

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:08 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Quote:
but if the boat if a 4-5 hour drive each way, and you work 7 days a week........

ok problem there :rofl:

we went for a holiday as well
but it not Possible for every one
:bolt: :bolt: :bolt: :bolt: :bolt:

isaac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:39 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi Guys,

Loving this thread anybody willing to open up, and discuss some problems encountered, how to breed, etc. Also i thought partridge should be like wyandotes and rocks gold pencilled? or am i mistaken.

Christian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 501 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next