Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Lets talk about the Brahma - a rare breed

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:35 am 
it is my only brahma affected. i have plenty of chickens from him to the indians and someone has kindly sent me eggs. but please before you give me sympathy remember the last thing i need is another breed also remember i am not into keeping breeds and colours just to preserve them...there are planty of other people to do that (except my large indians but that is not to preserve but to make them like they used to be).

so back to my rooster. he has always held his head in an odd way, sort of like holding his chin down in human terms. then he developed this thing for turning around in circles. could be an ear infection as i didn't think of that could also be merkes...tumours in the brain/ear etc. i was just thoughtful on a genetic origin as i had something very similar in pekins where they ran around in circles but from an early age. just helps you become aware of what to cull fo and what not to. he is still producing chickens and i just want a few more of him crossed to a jubilee hen. if i had thought properly about it when i started this i would have used a jubilee hen in the first place as if i am going to play around with the breed i will breed something different....white laced reds.

what i am doing now is just watching the development of the chickens and learning from there. i do not have the room to do such a large project or the climate or soil type for a large breed feather foot.

k

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:19 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hey Ruff. Glad to hear you will have plenty of chicks to continue on with. I do hope that you will continue with the Brahma despite the soil and space. Maybe you could create a bantam strain of the white laced red instead. If you want any gold laced brahma eggs to help you out let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:56 pm 
:aaargh: stop tempting me other wise i will blame you for my divorce :lol:

k

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:13 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

ruff wrote:
:aaargh: stop tempting me other wise i will blame you for my divorce :lol:

k

:lol:

Blue laced gold Brahma cock bird. He is the father of the cockerel and a bunch of hens and pullets I'm using at the moment. This boy went to Brian after I finished with him. Hopefully he is being put to good use.

He would look good with white lacing. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:56 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi there
I am reading with interest this thread on Brahmas. I am very impressed by the Creles it`s not a colour I`ve see in the UK. These are some of my Brahmas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:51 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Very nice birds Big Al, The Pencilled female is a delight the cleanest pencilling I have ever seen on a Brahma right down to the fluff thats the way I like to see it. We have a little further to go here in Auzzie but we have not had them for so long so got a bit to catch up on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:49 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hey Nice birds Big Al

Love the colour. Do you have a photo of the cock birds you used to breed the partridge hen with the nice penciling?

Cheers,

Luke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:55 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi All,

just from photos our aussie birds just dont have the brow of the european or usa birds have, anyone thought of putting malay blood into brahmas to increase height and brow? just a thought not an expert opinion, sometimes left feild is the best place to start.

Christian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:12 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

intoChooks wrote:
Hi All,

just from photos our aussie birds just dont have the brow of the european or usa birds have, anyone thought of putting malay blood into brahmas to increase height and brow? just a thought not an expert opinion, sometimes left feild is the best place to start.

Christian

Hi Christian,

The Lights which have been around the longest in Aus have ok brows, so do a few other well developed colours. Good idea with the malay..I would say all the lines of brahma in Aus have had introductions of malay at some point or at least have malay in their very early makeup, and many of the new colours would benefit from an out cross to a malay or a light strain with good brows. Here is a photo of one of my light girls, her brow is fairly good. I have a malay cross cochin cockerel that I'm using at the moment to improve size etc in an experimental line of my buff and blue buff columbian brahma. The rose comb takes a couple of years to get rid of but the results are worth it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:26 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

These are the parents of the bird in the picture.
ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:49 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Big Al,
BEAUTIFUL PENCILLING. Thanks for your pics.

Victoria

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:28 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for the pictures Big Al. Its always really great to see what the Brahmas are like OS.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:50 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Not the best pictures but its hard to keep them still.

Brahma chicks at 4.5 weeks old.

I think its a birchin boy and a partridge girl?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:43 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Looks more like a Dark female and the cockerel well we will have to wait and see not Birchen thou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:48 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Well the birchen colour isn't perfect yet and he doesn't have yellow feet, but Victoria will know these are from her eggs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 34  Next