Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - rir and light sussex cross for self sexing

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:19 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have rir rooster and hens for breeding, I also have light sussex rooster and hens, I want to breed pure bred herritage chooks of both breeds but would also like to experiment with self sexing chics, I have found the info on light sussex roo to rir hens will give me white or yellow roo,s and buff hens but if they all ran together would I be able to tell which chics were the pure bred rir and which where the buff hen chics :

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:56 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Quote:
if they all ran together would I be able to tell which chics were the pure bred rir and which where the buff hen chics

If you have researched both breeds and breeded them before you should have your eye in and not have a problem.There is a very well none exhibition breeder off many breeds up here and he runs all the different breeds together. As he belaves it helps the differents breeds to get along better and gets them ready for the shows.He then picks out the crosses and eats them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:27 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I believe the auto sexing cross is gold over silver, so RIR Roo over Sussex hens?

I would not think you could run them all together and still be able to reliably use this formula (eg silver are boys, gold are girls). You would get both colours, regardless of sex.

I would not think you could safely sell anything as pure either, as some birds can throw very much towards one parent, so look pure but not be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:11 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Yes, Shell is right. You need RIR roo over Light Sussex hens.
You could run the RIR roo with both Sussex and RIR hens and easily pick the RIR pure breeds. Any yellow/ white chicks would be cross breed males.