Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - The girls have arrived home! Australorps x2 and Rir/riw x

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:50 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Here are the girls - We ended up being talked out of buying the two pure Rir hens... the lovely older man at Barter and Sons suggested getting the x rir for constant eggs as if we brought all 4 purebreds we'd have no eggs for a couple of months every year when they all go broody.

So we ended up getting 2 purebred Australorps (which may go broody for 2 mths/yr) and one rir x riw and one riw x leghorn.

Henrietta - rir x riw
Abigail - riw x leghorn
Pandora & Big Bird - purebred Australorps

They were panting when we got home but they started drinking and pecking their food within 5 mins and now an 1.5hrs later they are looking quite settled. I was really happy in the end with the choice and later on I can decide if I want different breeds but being a first time owner I'll see how I go with these 4 girls.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:55 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Congratulations! Now you can do what the rest of us do and sit outside watching them for hours on end. :claps:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:08 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hehe, I've been in the palace with them and taking turns with cuddling and touching them so they get used to me :biggrin:

I notice one of the Australorps has one feather with a bit of white color on it - is this normal or is it maybe not a pure australorp?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:27 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I don't have Australorps but I understand that occasionally they throw a white feather when young which should moult out. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:31 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Seems the nice man is mis informed , going broody isn't an annual event only effecting pure breds, he may have been talking about moulting causing a break in egg production which occurs in every breed, how ever you have some pretty hens there , nice variety , did the old man comment weather he had any rhode island red pullets that age currently in stock? With 4 layers you will be over run with eggs, did they say how old they are?

Cheers
Gerald

One bite at a time , or you will get a sore belly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:37 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

There was some pure RIRs there yes. The ones we brought were about 18 weeks old but I think the white one may be older because her red comb is much bigger and normal lookin then the other 3 who hardly have any comb showing at all.

I wasn't in a position to argue about the Broodiness etc but next time I'll know better :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:41 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

The white girl shouldn't be far off egg laying, you've got some can't wait too see more pictures, you've got some nice girls

Cheers
Grrald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:59 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Barter's australorps are prone to broodiness. At least in my limited experience - I've had two since April as day olds and one has gone broody twice. I haven't had them through a winter yet so I can't comment on their laying through winter. They are pretty good layers otherwise. I can say that your brown is likely to be a very friendly and great laying girl. I have 4 and my SIL has two and they are by far the friendliest of my, and her, girls. They lay like troopers too. My newest started at about 18 weeks and I've just cracked a double yolker from one for lunch. My sil's two are the best with my 3 and 6 year old neices. You'd think they were stuffed toys they way the kids treat them. I'll be hard pressed to convince my SIL to ever get another type of chook. I've got a couple of their white cross breeds too. i wanted pure leghorns but they don't breed them anymore. My 3 are laying well but taking their time about getting used to me. I've got a bit of a mixed bag and they fit in nicely anyway. I'm not surprised at the mix you've ended up with. He gives the cross breeds the hard sell but he should know. That is what his own layers are.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:09 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

More pictures?

Gerald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:11 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Ok Gerald - I'll try to get a pic of each one but I only have my iphone so not sure how good a pic I'll be getting.... I'll post again shortly!

Tell me if you think Abigail (RIW) is much older with her comb so pronounced... much more defined then the 3 others who look younger.... or is this just the breed x that makes the comb grow faster? He did tell me they were all 18 weeks old thereabouts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:19 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Leghorns do have big and floppy combs. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:29 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Abigail - Rhode Island White x Leghorn

Henrietta - Rhode Island Red x Rhode Island White

Pandora (or Big Bird) - Australorp

Big Bird (or Pandora) - Australorp

I can't tell the difference between the two Australorps :confused:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:25 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

So I was sitting there watching them and Henrietta (RIRx) was pecking/plucking feathers from one of the Australorps necks - the Australorp didn't to seem to care.... Is this ok?

Now Abigail (RIWx) is doin the same thing to both the Australorps :?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:29 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Your chickens are establishing their pecking order (eg who is boss, who is 2nd, right down to who is bottom). This is normal and so long as they are not seriously hurting each other (eg an occasional squark is fine, but drawing blood is not fine) do not interfere. If you want to learn more about this process, you can do a search in the forum, and I'm sure there are links in the stickies as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:39 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Congratulations - they are all just lovely girls! :claps: You have a great little 'mixed flock' there, and I think that eggs are not too far off. I'm sure you will find your little red girl to be a lovely quiet and friendly hen - those red hens are full of personality. Handled gently and regularly, they'll soon be lovely pets. They'll have a bit of 'argy-bargy' as they sort out their 'pecking order', but this is normal. Once they sort out who's boss, they should settle down. As doolyma said above, leave them sort it out for now. And they're all in a strange place, too, and probably all new to each other as well - they're bound to be a bit unsettled for a week or so.

With your two Australorp girls who look nearly identical, you could leg-band one of them, so you can tell them apart easily. You can either buy legbands from a produce store, or you could use a thick cable tie around one ankle. (Just make sure you don't pull it too tight - it should be loose enough for a bit of movement so it doesn't cut into the leg, without being so loose that it slides up the leg or slips off the foot.) I have three bantam Langshans who are all identical - I legbanded one on the left leg, one on the right, and left the third unbanded. Problem solved - now I know who's who!

Anyway, well done on your girls, and thank you for posting the photos. I'm sure you will enjoy your lovely pullets. There's nothing like the excitement (and taste!) of that first egg, too!

Cheers, Onyx