Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Chick down colour: MASTERCLASS!!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:08 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thanks again. I see when going back through the thread that Rollyard has posted an example of leakage on other parts of the body:

rollyard wrote:
Unfortunately, no homozygous chick pics Christian, but these little fellows may still be of interest. They are less than twenty-four hours old. Bred from a cockerel breeding brown leghorn bantam male http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/show ... puser=6203 over white leghorn bantam females http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/show ... puser=6203 They are not quite what I was expecting. My thoughts;- they are heterozygous E/e+. I suppose the dominant extended black E has exerted the greater influence over e+ on down colour in conjunction with I/i+. A single dose of dominant white I/i+ from the hens preventing the expression of black, maybe assisted by other "whiteners" from the hen ie B, Bl, & S if present. The black flecks are I guess leakage. They are lovely little chicks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:08 am 
some blacks with dominant white are more leaky than others (lots of black spots), i think it is the melanizers. i have not notized dominant white (Ii) being leaky on ewh or e+ though in the chicken down, this leakiness comes as they start getting their other feathers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:12 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thats how they made the paint silkies? Dom white on black, it looks like that kind of pattern.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:47 pm 
chookster paint silkies are different as you can get buff paints.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:42 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Okay so here is my question i have two chicks both we think are lavender both parents are full black. But we believe the babies are lavender however we think the lighter one is ER (Birchen) based and the other is E (Extended black) base.

Okay here is the E downed Chick
Notice the really dark legs not full black like the black babies but not slate either and the dark lines and his beak is also black

And here is the ER downed Chick
Notice the light feet (which are now a gorgeous slate) and the pale coloured beak and lighter lines on his back.

Would love people comments if we are right or totally wrong still learning :S

Lockit
xo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:30 pm 
they could be E and ER repectivly however more likely ER plus melanizers in the first. both will most likely have gold in hackles with the second one having loads of gold through it (more faun rather than gold) like on its brest and wings. if they were going to be even lavender they would be just a lavender version of a black chick with white wingtips and other spots of white on the down like face and belly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:38 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

buff paints cool. One day when I have time I will study it properly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:52 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Not sure if people know about this calculator link but its really helping me learn, thought i would share it.

Lockit
xo

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:24 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I agree with Ruff that they are most likely not E, but E^R. E^R is suspectible to other modifiers (think of a sebright vs a silver sussex), and I think both of your chicks are E^R, it will be interesting to see how much ground coulour they show in the hackle and chest on maturity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:53 pm 
this chicken i put up earlier could also be double dose of blue as i had laying yokohamas at the time. i wish i had taken a photo of a friend's aussie game chickens that were double dose of blue which were also wildtype. the aussie Bl/Bl e+/e+ chickens looked like they had a lavender stripe down them and grew into pile birds, the yokohamas on the other hand are like this photo but grow into white with red spangled breasts when Bl/Bl e+/e+:

i am editing this to put in 2 photos a friend has just sent. these are aussie game bantam chickens on e+ wildetype with 2 doses of blue (Bl/Bl). the blue is visible in the chicken down but the bird changes to a pile (white with gold hackles and saddle rooster, white and gold hen breast being salmon). basically the same as a yokohama but looking very different:

the chcken is a couple of weeks old but the down is clearly visible on the head and back. a chciken with one dose of blue is barely distinguishable froma normal wildtype auusie:

Last edited by ruff on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:03 pm 
i hatched some dunn chickens from my pekins today. now dunn is not blue it is an allel of I dominant white. that is it is located at the same place on the chromosome where dominant white is. in one dose it is dunn in 2 doses it is an off white. when you have it with dominant white dominant white prevails but anywhere where dominant white leaks then dunn shows instead of black.

here the centre chicken is black flanked by dunn chickens based on ER:

this chicken is dunn but it is either hetero or homozygous mottling (ie one or 2 doses of the mottling genes):

if it is homozygous mottling then the other dunn and the black should be split mottling (heterozygous) which will be good as i can do more things with them.

by the way the chickens are only 3/4 pekin and 1/8 shamo (shamo was granny). first cross was an accident, this cross was a very much desired outcome. problem is there is a whole lot of wheaten chickens in the batch and i cannot tell of they are dunn or not, especially as they are also carrying mottling...so they are yellow. it will take a while to see the dunn but any dunn shade coming through on the chickens as they grow instead of black will tell me they are dunn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:00 pm 
i have had some lovely little aussie game chickens hatch. these ones are e+. these two could be silver and or blue (but only one dose of blue). notice one is slightly darker in the silver stripe than the other:

here are the same 2 chickens with a gold one in the middle:

here is the gold with the typical eye stripe:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:37 pm 
earlier in this topic i said i had never seen black spots on E allels other than e or ER. well 2 little fellas hatched today to make me eat my words. these are wildtype with dominant white, they could silver or gold, even carrying one dose of blueL

closeup:

here is another beautifully marked chicken, no black dots. it is one dose of dominant white on e+ with possibility of only one dose of blue and could be silver:

now i am sure about the above chicken colour possibilities as they come from my aussie bantam pen and the rooster is a silver suckwing, 2 hens are pile but one is silver and the other is gold. no idea about blue in the pile hens as i strain my eyes but still cannot guess.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:09 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

:arrow: bump

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:17 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I have chicks that are white with the leaky black, yellow down with black spots, now one has hatched with white down that has got me puzzled, the chicks are from the leaky whites (mothers), father is a blue. I thought my whites were recessive whites, coming out of black parents, is the whiter down a sign of something else, I can vaguely remember something different about white chick down?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next