Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Genetics for Beginners: Questions & Answers

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 4:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:45 pm 
new feathers there are supposed to be some color genes like dunn and choc not found in australia however the fellow who discovered the choc gene says it was australia he foind it in (carefoot...now dead). i strongly suspect many of these colours, dilutions, enhancers are all in australia just they need to be recognized for what they are. i feel there are a lot in the game breeeds where colour is not so important in the show pen. i have no idea if many crossbred backyard flocks are kept today where they have not been mingled with commercial layers and show birds, just bred for decades unadulterated by foreign blood.

thanks kaz for that. i have a cross of an indian bantam to a large malay ckl. the 3 pullets look like standard hens but the ckl did not reach the size of the malay yet was significantly larger than the indian. i bred him to a standard size shamo and some chickens look large and a couple are dragging the chain in growth. i was thus assuming this was a dominant sex linked dwarf gene in the indian game....i know the sample size is not big enough to prove much but the cross was unexpected (seeing nothing was fertile from the malay hen yet the little bantam that snuck in through the fence managed to hatch her own eggs by the malay).

what dwarf gene do you think your bantams had kaz? especially your japanese.

k

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:52 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Feather Sheen.
A number of things effect the amount & colour of sheen on feathers,they are structural,environmental and genetic.
Firmer feathered birds tend to have better feather sheen than those with very soft feathers.
Illness or interrupted growth can also effect the sheen and deposition, this can cause two colour banding.
Okimoto found gold based birds had better sheen,especially green sheen,than silver based birds. Reeder found an association between Autosomal Red and purple sheen. There is a recessive melaniser ,Matt Black, that produces a very flat black feather where the gloss,either colour, is totally negated.
I have birds, Wheatens males,that display both sheen colours. Green in the tail,and purple on the shoulders.
David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:48 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

blackdotte wrote:
I have birds, Wheatens males,that display both sheen colours. Green in the tail,and purple on the shoulders.
David

As do my Barnevelder males.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:26 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

great info every one
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:37 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I am going to (finally) put together a sticky on genetics. There are way to many topics being covered these days, and this thread shows there are varying levels of requirements.

I will leave this as the genetics for beginnners, but may take out the more detailed stuff and put it into different topics.

Is everyone comfortable with this? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers
Raf

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:35 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Hi all.
only just found this thread.
i have a eb creele pekin cockerel, and from what i understand a e+ pekin pullet that is only 6 weeks.
if i mate them together what would i get?

regards youri.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:49 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Youri,

Have a go at figuring it out for your self, and we will tell you how you went and help.

Its the best way to learn.

Raf

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:45 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Eggs-actly wrote:
That's good information to start with Stella. I hope I'm not doubling up on info here, but in the interests of wrapping my head around the subject matter, I'll try to answer ruff's initial question. They confused me at first - answering my question with a question, but it kinda made sense when I went through the process.

Please forgive me if anything I present isn't entirely accurate. Jump in for corrections where necessary.

A) what a gene is?

This was very interesting to read about because it wasn't a thing per se, but a measurent of something else - DNA - most people would've heard of this term before. So what is DNA? My research material says DNA (or deoxyribonucleic acid) is the carrier of hereditary information.

A gene is a unit of that heredity information. Does that make sense? Feel free to correct me if I've misinterpreted what my study material says.

B) what a chromosome is?

A chromosome carries the genes, and usually pairs - so in effect, the chromosome is the body of that hereditary information.

C) that there are 2 genes only at one time at each point (loci) affecting the out come. the different genes for this loci are called allels.

I didn't find any information on loci in my material (it's very basic) but it did say that physical traits are controlled by gene pairs called alleles.

I've seen the term "alleles" mentioned in discussions about genetics before - now I I think I understand what it means. It is the control mechinism by which genes are expressed? But while they come in pairs, they can also act independently - which leads me to your last question.

D) recessive and dominant

A dominant gene will mask a recessive one, but as the hereditary information is still carried within the gene - it can reappear in subsequent offspring - but only if the dominant gene is no longer present.

So in answering my question with a question ruff, I have learned that:

a) my head hurts,
b) ouch
c) mercy please, and
d) okay, that's better - I think I've made it though the first step. :lol:

How did I do?

Hi all.
I've been struggling with all this, too. It's great to have found this thread, thank you.
I'm trying to find a way to remember all of this (mnemonic device). So this is what I"ve come up with,please let me know if I've screwed it up.

So DNA is all the information in a book. A gene is combination of any 2 chapters of that book. A chromosome delivers those (normally) 2 chapters to the loci ( location of central command for the new offspring). The 2 genes the loci chooses are called alleles?

I hope I haven't doubled up on another post here and I hope I actually got it right!!! :aaargh: :read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6