Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - BSd>B>b Barring Alleles?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BSd>B>b Barring Alleles?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:21 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has any information on the dominance of Barring allele, i have read about BSd minimally, i donot have the books which explain it any further than They Doyens of Poultry The Plymouth Rock.

Quote:
The Plymouth Rock By Les Dowdle:
A further allele of the barring gene was found by Munro in 1946, that he called sex linked dilution, Sd, which had the affect of further lightening the barring. It was also found by Van Alba and Kuit who showed it to be an allele od B and also dominant to B. .. the Appearance of these birds is light blue barred with white females and almost all white males. The males look like dominant whites that are also dominant over reds which dominant white is not.

Why i ask this is from my crossing of commercial white broilers to my White rock hens i have a cockrel which appears to have the above described plumage, I have tried to photograph but the barring is so feint blue that it is unable to show up also he is a bit dirty from roosting inder other perching birds, i will keep persisting with the photos i may try at night so the sun isnt reflecting the light back so brightly.

Cheers

Christian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:28 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Sex linked dilution B^Sd was identified by Munro in 1946, order of dominance is B^Sd, B, b+, and was described as a type of true breeding blue. The hemizygous female B^Sd/- and the heterozygous male B^Sd/B or B^Sd/b+ have a light blue barred plumage; the homozygous male B^Sd/B^Sd are essentially white. B^SD males resemble Dominant White I/I males but differ in that the are epistatic to pheomelanin (red/gold tones) whilst Dominant White is not.
David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:45 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi David,

I probably dont want to use this cockrel in a white breeding program then do i? He is just a nice size which i am trying to inprove in my White Plymouth Rocks.

Cheers

Christian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:42 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

No reason why not. Just remember your whites are most probably recessive white which means you would get blue barred in the first cross. B^Sd covers red which is good. If you have both I & c on S then B^Sd would help you getting really good white birds.
David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:47 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi David,

thanks for the quick response, he nearly was dinner, he is a good solid bird for ony 8 weeks old. :biggrin:

Am I aiming for homozygous or heterozygous? Also got some splash looking pullets from the cross. Does this mean my whites and the commercial are carrying blue? Also some of the splash seem to have green legs with yellow soles does this mean Id was not passed on?

here is a picture of splash;

Cheers

Christian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:36 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Preferably homozygous.
Does this mean my whites and the commercial are carrying blue? Very possibly.
Does this mean Id was not passed on?
Exactly, father would have been heterozygous Id/id+ and the id+ was masked by the combined effect of the single Id & the barring.
David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:39 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hey David,

I think i am slowly getting the hang of this stuff, i really appreciate your input and knowledge. Without you i probably would have kept on inbreeding and giving up.

Cheers

Christian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:05 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

:arrow:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:37 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Oh hi Cristian, i think this is the one we were talking about a few weeks ago with a little white/blue chick of mine? Will have to get some updated pics to show you, it's just gone out into the grower pen as I want to raise it and have a look, I did actually get out another female the same about a week later. So far no boys look to be this colour . . .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:07 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi Natobeth,

from what i have been reading on B^sd is that males are lightly barred and white but females only carring one copy are purest white, hopefully someone will clear it up for us.

Cheers

Christian