Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - millie fleur resources

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: millie fleur resources
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:49 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Im not sure if this is better off here or in Poultry Library, but can anyone recommend some resources for learning more about the genetics of mille fleur? either book or online is fine. I have blackdottes book, but am looking for more info.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:48 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Hi,
There was a thread on BYP a while back maybe started by Ruff,"post your Millie Pics" or something along those lines,do a quick search and you should find,alot of pictures and im sure info on their genetics would be in the thread.

Kai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:19 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi.

I dont know if it exsists but i would probably look to see if the belgian club of australia has a handbook? Belgians are famous for this colour. Good Luck.

Cheers

Christian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:10 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

We bought the Belgian Handbook of Australia from Irene Hannon at the Belgian Club , We breed Millies and it was money well spent . I would not hesitate in recommending it , Big Book lots of nice glossy photos and loads of info :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:38 pm 
blackdottes book is the closest you are going to get and believe me i have hunted over the years. the standards of perfection may give you an idea of what is expected in the colour.

there is a lot said and written on the colour and most is written by fly by nighters and many who have never pulled the colour apart and tried to rebuild it. if you could find a millie breeder who has successfully shown and exhibited the colour for at least 20 years then perhaps you can get them to write about their experiences and share it with all.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:11 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Cherylob,

Are you after the genetics to develop Millefleur colour/pattern, or breeding tips?
--------------
I did find an article online some years ago (over 6 years ago) with some good points on breeding Speckled Sussex, with references to Millefleurs. Both are very similar tri-colour varieties, therefore many of the breeding tips for one, apply to the other.

The article is called "Standard Requirements of Speckled Sussex”, by A. O. Schilling.

This article covers issues like:
  • Excessive white in wings/tail
  • Shade of ground colour (ie pale/dark)
  • Relationship between heavy black hackle striping in males to mossy/stippling in ground colour of hens
  • Relationship between feather undercolour to surface colour
  • Too large black spangling on the breast of males (ie black bars in mottling)
  • Relationship between lemon colour in male saddle & hackles to washed out or grayish buff ground colour in hens
  • Relationship between shaftiness in ground colour of hens to lemon colour in hackles of males
  • The desirability of little mottling in cockerels for future use as show roosters
  • The desirability of small white-tipping in pullets for future use as exhibition birds

* But the article hasn’t been online for many years – ie url/link broken (can’t find it using web archives). I have it all in digital format – just concerned about copyright. And it is a long article – 7 pages when printed out.
The original link is still listed at Feathersite, on the Sussex page, ie Rob Mongold’s previous webpage (both websites of his – broken links).
I’ve sent off a couple of emails to try to contact him. If that doesn’t work, maybe one day I’ll do a literature review – summarise the main points further.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:17 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

off topic but kazjaps i like you signature links, i am off to explore them.
Cheers julie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:24 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

thanks for that everyone- i will look into the resources listed.

a bit of both KazJaps. I thought it would be a nice breeding project, but would prefer to stick with pekins... but i have no real idea where to start. I am not looking to be spoon fed information- i am happy to read and to research- im just not sure what direction to go in yet. Im in a situation where I am likely to be laid up a bit for a month or so, so im doing research in advance for when i will have no choice but to sit and ponder the next breeding season :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:45 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Cheryl, there are quite a few posts on BYP with regard to Millefleur Pekins. I'm a bit confused why you would want to start from scratch to create them again.... a bit like re-inventing the wheel.

I have spent over 8 years breeding the Millefleur pekin, starting with crossing a Millefluer Belgium into the pekins. Ruff has spent about the same time, but crossing different coloured Pekins to get a similar result...... there is very little difference between out birds now. I understand several other people are also breeding Millefluers Pekins, so they are allready out there.

The following picture is of a cockerel I bred last year. He made it to a few shows this year but has been busy doing his duty producing little Millefluer chickens :)

It is a huge job creating a new colour, taking many years and many, many more chickens to get the colour & type right..... so I would ponder a great deal before starting something that has been done. Not that I'm trying to put you off such a project, its just you should consider the costs involved as well. In the first five or so years I bred over 100 chicks (each year) from my "millies" to keep only 4 or 5 to breed on the next generation each year. All birds had to be grown out so I was making sure I was keeping the best colour and type to breed on with. Then you have to find a way to "dispose" of all those unwanted birds. I found the markets were okay but peole do not understand the cost involved in raising a chicken and don't even want to pay the cost of a bag of feed (I calculate it costs at least a bag of feed per chicken to raise them).

Good luck anyway,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:15 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi Stelan,

just want to say two things,

LOVELY BIRD WELL DONE, GREAT ADVICE

:biggrin:

CHEERs

Christian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:34 am 
i started working on milli fluer pekins over 12 years ago. i didn't know anything about poultry genetics but had a fair idea in my head of what i wanted to do. there was very little on the internet about poultry and i didn't know how to use a computer any way.

my project hit early success but i did not learn about it till much later when my AH saw some of my birds for sale at a local markets. they disappeared. i did not care as i had been through a number of set backs like loosing my house then a real estate property manager forcing me to get rid of my birds (if i had only known then how unimportant that was to what would happen later)

i learned to use the internet basically to communicate with stelan. i learned about genetics because kazjaps thought i needed help and wow did she help. however i went off track for a number of years due to the fact i believed what had been written as well as inexperience and lack of resources.

from stelans beautiful rooster here i believe i can do better but that is requiring an out cross to a different e allel and working from there again. but this time i know what i am doing the steps are easy to follow now but there are still backward steps as i breed for disease resistance and i will not compromise. also i keep getting distracted with doing other projects and people offering me breeds that i can't resist.

better go need to do chooks and there is a pheasant cuckle in upsetting everyone as they have never seen one before.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:56 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I did not say I wanted to reinvent the wheel- i said i wanted to understand the process. If i was to get involved with working with the colour, then it seems logical to understand it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:55 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

OOPs. My mistake!

Just you said - I thought it would be a nice breeding project, but would prefer to stick with pekins... but i have no real idea where to start. - so one would assume you were going to start to try to breed Millefluer Pekins.

I should know better than to assume.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:12 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

thats ok- by "start", I meant the start for me, not the "start" of the entire process. I have enough to get reading now and can decide what to do after that. thanks so much for your patience.