Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Indian Game X Barnevelder

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 2:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:25 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Now before anyone gets upset with me, this cross is NOT to incorporate either breed into the other, but purely an experiment in pursuit of functional dual purpose chickens. I keep a pure Indian flock and use barnevelders (utility) and other breeds to experiment with crosses.

I have no idea whether the IG X Barnevelders are pullets or cockerels. The colouring would indicate pullet in an indian, and also I believe in a barnevelder, but the comb/wattle development, posture and behaviour suggest possibly cockerel. Wait and see. These are about 13 weeks old.

From the left - pure Indian cockerel, IG X Barnevelder, IG X Barnevelder, pure indian pullet (from pullet egg). These were all hatched in the same batch.

Weight-wise, these IG X Barnevelders are about the same as the pure indian cockerel, although obviously much taller and not as well developed in the breast and thigh. However even now they would be a nice meal for one. It will be interesting to compare the growth.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:39 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Are you planning to process them? This is the main reason I would be interested in this cross. I would imagine they could be quite nice. The barnies can get nice and thick without the big frame and put some of the meat of the indian on them and I would have thought they would be ok.
They are interesting looking. I would guess that they are both cockerels.
Thanks very much for posting the photos.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:47 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

very interesting and they are ckls we do the same here with indians and rhode island whites
much better than fatty broilers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:40 pm 
This might be outside the purpose of the cross, but I still think they're a good looking style of bird. Lots of leg as well as body frame, and a very nice rich evenly patterned feather. They remind me of buckeyes (an American rare breed). Do you think they'd lay reasonably well (better than the Indians), or would they be pretty much wholly a meat bird?

I've got some malay game cross leghorn chicks, which are just starting to show their usefulness (up to now they've been wirier and smaller than my sussex cross utility birds). Now they're really meating up, but have kept a lot of bounce and vigour, and I'm looking forward to deciding which ones to keep. But they're not very uniform in size or type — it's nice that yours are.

Thanks for the photos,

Jennie

Edited for typo.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:06 pm 
ellena what you do with your birds is your own business. should anyone start telling you otherwise piss them off fast as they will get in the way.

your birds look like typical indian crosses. i have them on the marans, malay ( a little slower in growth) and brahma and they are far ahead of the pure indian in size. funny i was thinking of doing just such a comparison photo but not got around to it. the indian is weightier but these crosses will be better to process in the short term, have a greater surviability and stamina. and yes the hens lay way better than the pure indians (i have done the same cross to sussex and battery hens over the years). i would cross the pullets (if you have them) back to a pure indian or barnie to see how the next generation to see how these perform, something i have never done.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:51 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

They are actually quite stunning to look at in real life. Yes if they are cockerels they are headed for the pot, although I might be tempted to put one back over an indian hen if the opportunity presents. In my opinion the Indians and crosses we have processed have been far superior in taste to the commercial meats (home processed and bought from the shop). I haven't done any Malays but I think I've been spoiled for any other breeds since I tasted indian.

I intentionally tried this cross (after lots of reading) in my search to develop a true dual purpose flock, where all the hens lay a reasonable number of eggs and all the cockerels are worth eating, and fertility is reliable. And I know its girly but I wanted them pretty as well. I hope I get a hen so the experiment can continue! I only have one more IG X Barnevelder coming this season, which is now a couple of weeks old and I hope will be a pullet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I know this is an old thread but I am trying to find out something so here goes...

Can anyone tell me if the colour and lacing genes of the Barnevelder and dark Indian Game are essentially the same or quite different?

I know there are some genetic differences but I’m not sure how they work – perhaps someone can explain it in layman’s terms for me.

I have a dark Indian Game cockerel and was going to cross it to a Barnevelder pullet to attempt to stabilise something in type intermediate between the two, to breed ongoing. I am aiming at an “improved” Indian Game, less “two legged tortoise” if you catch my drift. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:14 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I hope someone can assist you.

If someone can, please reply in the separate topic posted a few days ago:

Barnevelder & Indian Game colour and lacing genes the same?

:-)