Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - sex linked chicks RIR/Light Sussex (with photos) 27wks now!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:14 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Here are some photos of my six sex-linked cross breed chicks that hatched on Tuesday.
I had read the sticky about sex linked crossbreds viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7861 quite awhile ago, purely for interest sake. Then we happened to be given a RIR rooster(Ricky) in poor health (hardly any feathers, lice, very poor body condition)
After quarantine he was put in with my 4 Light Sussex hens, I thought I’d incubate the eggs to see how they went. (I wasn’t expecting much because Ricky Rooster seemed to be old and always falling off before he got started.)

But 6 hatched, 3 female which are buff and 3 males which are yellow

I am going to post photos as they grow just for interest as I could only find 1 photo of this cross.

:?: One question before I go - because they are crossed will they mature earlier, like hybrid vigour in cattle?

one is hiding

The dad Ricky Rooster (he looks a bit scruffy but he does have feathers now!)
The girls

Last edited by learnerchook on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:30 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Yeah they do mature earlier. They will not lay as early as a leghorn cross but off memory all my Gold Comets ( What they were called when i was a tin lid ) had started to lay by 20 weeks.

Nice robust little chicks by the way :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:26 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks for that Mick.
I like the name 'Gold Comets' makes me think they are going to be fast little buggers. :bolt:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:54 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

i have done this with my chooks, the hens look great when they mature but the roosters are just like the light sussex with some red feathers throught them

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:29 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

The chicks are now 2 weeks old. I think they look bigger than what the light sussex chicks looked at the same age. I'm looking forward to see how the colour on the females turns out, but it's only early. Just have to sit tight and wait. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:51 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

It's nice to see such healthy, robust little chicks. Learner, you might be onto something with them looking a little bigger for the same age. A little hybrid vigor may well be at work kicking them along just that little bit faster.

Good luck with them, they are a credit to your husbandry skills :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:59 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

gee im happy i come across this post, now for the dumb question :roll:
Does the sex link work for all pure bred light sussex over a pure bred rhode island red? i bought fertile eggs off of sharni and only hatched 3, 2 of which are white alike the sussex and one of the red / buff to which here refers to a girl. So that means only 1 pullet 2 rooseters if this is correct :x
Sharni refers to hers as Bovan Goldlines (RIR X Light Sussex hens)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:03 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

You are correct. The red/buff colored will be the pullets. They do have many names but are the same article :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:42 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thanks guys, guess i can part with the 2 roos earlier than usuall then, makes my life much easier and the food bill lower :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:59 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Micki wrote:
Good luck with them, they are a credit to your husbandry skills

Thanks Mick
I been wondering if it's the feed (been trying somthing new), as well as normal chick starter they get a little bread soaked in poddy calf milk with a little vinegar in it every couple of days. (something I read somewhere :wink: )

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:06 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Koknco-
Quote:
guess i can part with the 2 roos earlier than usuall then, makes my life much easier and the food bill lower

sorry to hear about the roos, but it does make it so much easier to tell the difference. How old is the pullet? Just for interest sake would it be possible for you to upload a pic to have a look at.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:37 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Quote:
I been wondering if it's the feed (been trying somthing new), as well as normal chick starter they get a little bread soaked in poddy calf milk with a little vinegar in it every couple of days. (something I read somewhere :wink: )

Someone smart wrote that one down to be read :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:37 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

My first cross of this breed started laying at 14 weeks so yes they do lay a lot earlier than either the pure light sussex or the RIR.
Go easy on the milk in the bread too as if you do a search through the forums you will find that milk is not good for chooks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:41 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I crossed my Barnie Rooster with my Isa Brown girls and got chicks just like these. Two red and two yellow and I was sure the red were girls until about 10 weeks and they are boys. All four of them.

The yellow ended up as white boys and one is now starting to get some dark brown in him but the other is pure white. The other two born red are a light red/cream colour.

I only have the one left who is white with the dark brown as I found homes for the other three and I am going to keep him a bit longer to see how he feathers up.

Shayne

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:02 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Hi Shayne, just for reference for anyone reading this - you can't cross an Isa Brown or similar hybrid to a gold or silver male and re-produce colour sex-linked pullets and cockerals . .it only works on the first cross; like the one this thread is about.