Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Do Bantam Roosters Crow?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do Bantam Roosters Crow?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:46 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi

Very new to this game and need to ask perhaps a silly question...

Do bantam roosters crow? We live on a suburban block and can't keep roosters, but I'm wondering if bantam roosters make a helluva noise when they say HEY!!!in the morning, or any other time of day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:08 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Short answer - yes - but as to the level of noise it depends on the breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:15 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Yes, they crow loudly like big roosters unfortunately.And they crow on and off all day!! :lol: I can say that one of my pekins is very quiet compared to the others, its just his style. Im currently boxing 3 roosters at night in the shed and the other 3 are allowed to stay out. But I heard one of the youngsters starting under our bedroom window the last couple for mornings so he will be in the shed at night soon also. Maybe you could do that too. I let the boys out at about 9am (or my other half does if Im at work). No complaints so far and Weve had roosters crowing in our suburban backyard for about a year now.

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:31 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Duck Diva and Idealistic

Thanks for the heads up. Methinks best not invite/allow rooster to take residence - don't want to upset the neighbours and stir the pot. Enough trouble with El-Husband let alone those who want to bah-humbug my little corner of the world.

Seems like it'll remain secret women's business in our backyard for some time to come.

:)

:thanks:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:32 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Also, I have just attained a young rooster and I have been assured that he does crow but as yet I have not heard him. This may be due to his very recent move to my place. His previous owner has been boxing him at night for some weeks now and he is quite compliant - he even puts himself to bed - although at my place he is a little confused and goes to the laying box but he is happy enough for me to move him into the night box.

I live in suburbia of canberra. Although there are no laws here directly pertaining to roosters there are noise pollution laws that apply to a rooster.

So the sooner you start night boxing him the better the result will be and the more chance you will have of keeping him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:50 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Bantam roosters crow at a higher pitch than standard ones and it could be argued that they're easier to hear than the deeper-pitched ones ... not louder, as such, but more carrying.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:55 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

whereas my pekin roo is very quiet :) he only crows a few times, a few times a day (4 or 5 max). he also doesn't do a long crow. and we're lucky because our home has a footy field on two sides and the two neighbours (funny shaped block) who might be able to hear him (they've said they can't) love roosters and chooks :)

we've only just moved and hated the thought of having to get rid of him, so it was a relief not to. course, someone else may complain but until then... :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:56 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks Info

I'm becoming more and more convinced...

No more foolish rooster thoughts for me!

8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:42 am 
Wise One
Wise One

I too have a Pekin cockerel who is quite quiet, but he does get boxed at night. If I forget I think the only person he wakes is me. He is definately a lot quieter than other bantam roosters that I have met, although he is still growing so he might get louder.

I have a road behind me and both of my immediate neighbours told me without prompting that they like the crowing, so I am lucky. He came with a Pekin pullet that I wanted and was going to be dinner, but the tolerant neighbours earned him a reprieve.

I am also in Canberra.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:47 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have bantam partridge plymouth rock cockerels and they all crow...starting about 3.30am and carrying on for most of the morning. I find they crow more than my large rock rooster. Someone once told me that bantam hens don't scratch...that's a big furfy too..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:28 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Quote:
Someone once told me that bantam hens don't scratch...that's a big furfy too..

Oh boy do they ever! Even fluffy-footed Pekins that have trouble getting through long grass can excavate very respectable holes in the garden bed. I had a half-Jap who would dig holes almost as deep as she was tall, then the whole gang would jump in for a bath. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:05 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

yes all roosters do crow. some roosters like pekins and some silkies don't crow. it depends on the rooster and the individual. i used to have a rooster that went off every 2 minutes and i got rid of him that was a few years ago. the most quietest rooster i had ever owned was some pekin. i had one that seldom crowed and i had one that never crowed at all. the a cuckoo rooster. he was very lovely and gentle. old english game roosters will crow throughout the day but during brief intervals like every 3-5 hours. i had one that crowed throughout the day however after a week he didn't crow anymore since he didn't bother to crow due to no roosters in the area. he was a very flightly and one day he got out, he was struck by a car. now we only have two game hens at home. one modern and one old english game bantam hen. they are so cute!

in essence all roosters do crow, depending on the breed and how small they are. the japanese bantams will crow louder even though they are small for their body size!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:34 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

I don't find the d'anvers crow loud or high pitched, but if your neighbors are @$$#0!%$... then they will complain regardless.

I just had a friend return a little fellow to me because the neighbors from hell that come and go with mongrel dogs howling all night yelled out over the fence that they would call the council.

This poor little rooster has the tiniest crow I have ever heard and is barely audible, There is a big RIR rooster nearby her house somewhere that sounds like foghorn.

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:40 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Yes, and at a higher pitch, now I am going to upset bantam lovers, having had both over the years, I personally find bantam crows are far more annoying than large breed.

I think it all depends on the individual bird as well. I have four large breed boys at the moment, was six until two nights ago (mmmm curry), and one of thems has a real loud crow but he only goes off mid/late afternoon, whereas the other three are quieter. They are all plucked each night from their sleep and placed into night accommodation in my garage, so as hopefully to not upset the neighbours.

Ron (Wyandottes for all.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:05 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

rotten_66 I totally agree with you. I have Three large Roosters - Barnies and Wyandottes and I love their crow but the Pekins and I have 3 of them are much higher in pitch and much more anoying.

When I just had one Rooster Bart my big Barnie boy he hardly ever crowed but now I have 6 they tend to all crow about 5am and then stop and then a few times during the day especially if we have guests over.

If you are worried about crowning do not get any Rooster.

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/