Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Breed Choice - Opinions Wanted

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 6:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Which breed to choose??
Bantam Red Ancona's 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Silkies 16%  16%  [ 10 ]
Bantam Wyandottes 25%  25%  [ 15 ]
Jap Bantams 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Bantam Blue Australorps 25%  25%  [ 15 ]
Pekins 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 61
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:07 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

As the title says, I am trying to figure out which breed to keep and breed here. I live in suburbia so could only really have 1 rooster.
Any information/personal experiences regarding each breed would be appreciated. Currently have no idea :oops: however am leaning towards either the silkies, bantam red ancona's or jap bantams.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:05 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

I would go the japs good breeders up in NSW :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:14 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Thanks for replying Macl
anyone else want to share stories/information/tips about any of these breeds that could help influence my decision? Would appreciate it greatly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:16 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

i voted bantam australorps and bantam wyandottes, i don't have bantam wyandottes (yet :wink: ) but have black australorps (bantams) and think they are great, mine are just coming into POL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:19 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

so far:

Bantam Red Ancona's 18% [ 3 ]
Silkies 18% [ 3 ]
Bantam Wyandottes 29% [ 5 ] x
Jap Bantams 18% [ 3 ]
Bantam Blue Australorps 18% [ 3 ] x
Pekins 0% [ 0 ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:23 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Have you considered Langshan bantams? :D A great little bantam. One of the best for egg size and quantity if that interests you. Look great and fairly friendly. Quite strong in NSW; should be easy to obtain.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:28 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Quote:
Have you considered Langshan bantams?

Thanks for the suggestion - admittedly I haven't had any contact with Langshans before but for some reason I don't really find them appealing to me. I don't know why as they seem to be great little robust birds, just not my cup of tea. Anyone else have some suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:29 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

I would go with Langshan Bantams. They are a very good breed and lay heaps of eggs. I will have alot of Bantam Langshans for sale from tomorrow. They are blacks and blues. Where abouts do you live.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:51 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

We've got one bantam black Ancona and she's an enchanting little character. Sounds more like a waterbird than a chook. Flighty - we had to clip her wing - so if you're getting Anconas, bear that in mind. I like the birds and wouldn't mind having some Standard ones as well.

And I voted Australorps cos I love the 'lorps :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:44 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

BTW from your voting list I voted Bantam Wyandottes. If I wasn't dedicated to Langshans I reckon I'd get Dotties.

Cheers. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:14 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I voted silkies and pekins. They are cute, small and quite affectionate/quiet when hand-raised. I haven't had experience with any of the others but I am looking at japanese bantams, also.

Silkies are the pick for placidness, and they can't fly and make great pets, but they go broody a lot apparently (yet to experience that).

Pekins can fly quite well, roosters can be a bit testy with each other. Haven't had a nasty one towards me (currently have 3 pekin roosters).

I suppose it depends on your ideas/requirements of a chook... And, some will continually just 'appeal' to you when others don't. Search the gallery and web for photos on each breed.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:45 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi all,
Just a word of warning, which is not intended to be really ominous, but I think it needs saying. Chickens with feathered feet or large crests, like silkies, do often need more attention than those without. I am not criticising these breeds in any way, I love my silkies and my belgians, but I have to say my wyandottes are less trouble. Crested birds can be prone to eye infections, or have vision problems which mean that unless you are showing them it may be necessary to cut back their crests (not difficult, but depending on your hair dressing skills can achieve some funny looking results :D ). Keeping feathered feet healthily clean and dry can also require some effort depending on the type of environment they will be living in.
I am assuming that all breeds come with there own little problems, but apart from temperament and utility, I think it is also wise to consider the amount of maintenance required and suitability of environment for any breed to avoid complications later on. That said sometimes I guess the decision gets made for you by what breeds you are able to get your hands on, although silkies shouldn't be a problem in that regard.
Kathy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:51 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Thanks everyone for their opinions

Quote:
Where abouts do you live.

I live at Newcastle, NSW

Infoaddict, thanks for your input regarding bantam ancona's. I have kept all of these breeds previously when I just had assorted purebreed backyarders, and my ancona was always good layer full of character. She was a little flighty, but out fences are around 1.7 metres tall and with a clipped wing should keep her in.

Wuvzoo, I know what you mean about pekins flying well - my little fluffballs whom look like they could barely get 10cm off the groun were able to fly up to a 1metre perch quite easily - was very surprised.

KathyP, thanks for your input as well. I understand everything about keeping feather-footed birds dry, preferrable on sawdust as its soft and doesn't damage their feet as mush etc. I must say that at the moment I am leaning towards the ancona's or keeping on with my current silkies

Keep the posts coming

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:07 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Update of the poll results for those who haven't voted or don't want to

Bantam Red Ancona's 14% [ 5 ] x
Silkies 19% [ 7 ] x
Bantam Wyandottes 27% [ 10 ]
Jap Bantams 8% [ 3 ]
Bantam Blue Australorps 22% [ 8 ]
Pekins 11% [ 4 ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:13 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi i have voted Silkies as i have found them a fantastic breed to start and and learn with. They are quiet and easy to handle. They are fantastic mums and if you decide to branch out to another breed they are clucky every 10 eggs or so and will sit and hatch the eggs from other chooks and look after the chicks even though they are taller than them. I breed Houdans but put the eggs under the silkie mums and hatch them out and get them to look after them because they are so reliable.
Regards Peggs