Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Birchen Brahmas

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Birchen Brahmas
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:43 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

THis topic flows out of the "Brahmas - a rare breed" topic, viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7979550 but is seperated to discuss the Birchen Brahma.

So lets talk about the experimental birchen in our Brahma line.

Here are some pictures of my chicks at various stages.

The following is a picture of my Mia at age 6 weeks. Sorry the pics are not fantastic

and of her later growing at age 17 weeks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:48 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

and at 20 weeks. I still have her she is in her first year. :)

and that bump in her feathers on her back has gone lol

I will post pics of the Male later on and their offspring which is what Kyles has and I am still getting the "exp Birchen" ones coming out along with straight black.

Thanks

Victoria

Post subject: Re: Birchen Brahmas
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:13 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Here are some pictures of Sebastian as he was growing
here he is at 6 weeks old
15 weeks old

at 17 weeks old

and now he looks like this (most of you have seen this pic from the other thread)

Victoria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:03 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

and finally this is what I currently have on the ground

Birchen exp Cockrel 9 weeks old

and a pullet age 7 weeks - very camera shy and not handled by me either so hard to get her to stay still

I think thats about it for piccys :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for your pics Victoria!

I don´t have the time to update our HP but I made some pics yesterday and can share them here instead. First a closeup from the head, Blue Birchen:

here the same young hen infront of an old Blue hen (yes, this is "Lucky"):

And here a young Birchen cock from behind:

and from the front, note his breast pattern:

And here some moton-study pics from another Birchen fellow, as you can see this one was very "fighty": http://www.krassesrudel.at/fotos/action/index.html

Hope it´s of any interest!;-)

Enjyo your day!
Joachim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi FF,

I think your guys would be siver birchen and Joachims are gold blue birchin. A very good start keep up the passion.

Cheers

Christian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:50 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Hi, is the silver birchin ER or E and joachim's based on eb?

I'm very interested because FF Victoria's bird has good yellow legs, I would have thought on ER it would be hard to get such good coloured legs.

Victoria is it impolite to ask which colour and birds you started with?

Daza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:55 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

HI daza,

Both ER just Victoria's have S(silver) which turns the gold to white, Joachim has both blue and black his are ER Bl/bl and ER, they also seem tohave some mahoghany in their wings aswell.

cheers

Christian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:14 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Thank's Christain, Victoria has hatch some good solid blacks from her Birchin line so i was thinking if they where ER they have good black enhancers working. Would these chicks have dark legs when they are younger then they show yellow when they mature. It's amazing how they are so close to barred but show their feathering completly different.

Daza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:33 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Feathered friends,
great pics and stunning looking birds!!

If i am wrong please correct me but I dont think they are Er, I think Daza has hit the nail on the head. Sebastian's white wing triangle would be a eb or ewh indicator and Mias chick down doesn't look right to me for a Er either.

E ml and Er Ml look virtually identical (and i'm not experienced enough to tell the difference)
but i dont think they look like either.
Hugo on the other thread might have the better chance, but could well be E, ml - unless it was remembered what he looked like in his chick down.

joachimdippold's big fella looks like a ER, ml
and the hen looks like a Er, ML, Bl,bl s,s

great looking birds and fantasic photos
cheers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:30 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi all,

Sebastion was bred from a black hen with a few silver streaks in her hackle and chest (this hen was bred from dark barred plymouth rock x a black brahma from Andrew Rathbone) and a blue laced gold brahma cock (pictured in silver laced brahma thread). Mia was from a pen that had a black cockerel with Birchin type markings (bred from a barred brahma - whose origin was dark barred plymouth rock + partridge Brahma...from Andrew Rathbone) and a poorly marked dark Brahma hen.

I put these pens together to improve type in the experimental Birchin line (when I say experimental - I mean I wasn't sure what E genes were in the 'birchin' looking birds but knew the type needed improving and used the birds I had available to me at the time to see what popped out...hoping for more 'birchin' looking birds...possibly with ER).

So with that said it is highly likely that these birds contain E, eb, ml, pg etc. With the introduction of the dark barred plymouth rock and the production of 'birchin' looking birds I'm hoping that ER is in the mix and we will produce some true breeding birchins.

The black brahma that have been produced from Sebastion and Mia are looking very good (yellow legs etc). I have some half sisters of Sebastion from a pure black hen x the blue laced gold cock that are lovely self blacks with yellow legs.

Victoria can correct me but I figure Hugo and the black girls (from lets talk about brahma thread) are from Sebastion x Mia? So maybe Hugo is the Birchin boy we have been waiting to pop out, still need to see his chest?

If we run out of options I was considering adding a large old english game grey (ER base) to the mix but was hoping to avoid if possible as it will add a bunch of problems with type, temperament etc. Any other suggestions would be appreciated?

Victoria also had a lovely type barred brahma (called Guliver - he travels alot..I think he is in Qld now...good name Victoria), from Brian the Brahma club president, that looked like he had a birchin pattern under the barring. I think Victoria has bred some birds from him and may have a 'brown red' looking hen and cockerel (birchin with gold instead of silver) and maybe some others?

The production of good yellow legged black birds from this experiment has been a welcome surprise. I guess when we think about it the use of a gold laced brahma with black brahma was a good start to produce nice yellow legged blacks.

Cheers

Last edited by lukeprice on Mon May 03, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:58 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hello Folks!

Yes I think ours are ER.
And yes I know that we have Mh in our birds, also.
And yes, our Blacks and Birchens are all gold-based (s+).
Oh and yes, some of our birds are Bl/bl+.

Chick down: our Birchens are solid black at hatch, our Blacks are black with whitish/yellowish spots (most on the belly).

Maybe the following quote from the book "An Introduction to Color Forms of the Domestic Fowl: A Look at Color Varieties and How They Are Made" by Brian Reeder (ISBN: 978 142 590 42 10) helps?

Bigger photo: http://www.krassesrudel.at/forumbilder/ ... en021.html

Have a nice evening!
Joachim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:28 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Ah, Thanks Joachim for the chick down colour, I do have solid blacks and blacks with yellow tummies. So the solid blacks will be my Birchen ones :thumbs:

I have just pulled that same book out of my bookshelf, thanks and will read up on it.

Daza either you or Scooter have one of Sebastians boys. So now you can also venture into this unknown :shock: Birchen journey with us. If you need a black pullet let me know.

I currently have in my black breeding pen, a solid black cockrel (Mia and Sebastians son), Mia (Birchen), Molly solid black and another solid black pullet. I also have a barred and a blue pullet but thats another story. I have collect only 4 eggs so far and waiting on them to lay me some more but alas I think they may have gone off due to a cold snap and the days are getting darker alot earlier. Also living up under the Escarpement we loose the sun early :roll: .

Kyles's Hugo is not from Sebastian, he is from another lot of eggs hatched from your lines Luke, they looked completley different and I have a pic here of two of them on the gate. Male is I think my Mr Peck (who died) who is Hugo's father.

As you will see they were different in every way.

Kyles will hopefully put some pics up too of her birds.

Cheers

Victoria

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:09 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi All,

ill put some pictures up of my birds shortly.... but long days working makes photographing in Daylight difficult lol

These following are the Hugo at 5 - 6 weeks old. appearing nearly all back with the ssilver in the hackles just starting to appear through. Hugo has black wing bows or triangles. Ill try to get some photos of his chest shortly... remember its moult season :shock: :roll: lol

Hugo took forever to feather up in comparison to the other Birchen boy and to the other buff cochin x you will see in the pen with him.

Excuse the photos...they were meant for my records...not for public display lol

Hugo here is closest to camera, front left, always a bigger chick than his counterparts

Hugo here is bottom right of photo.

and finally, Hugo in January , showing wing triangle.

ok, Im off to see if Ive got enough time to stalk him with a camera this morning to get his chest.lol I should add, for the most part it is black except for high up where there are laced feathers. I would expect that this is what one would expect to see with a Birchen bird, he is not as ornately laced as some on here...but it is there never the less. now out for the photo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:22 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Kylie or Victoria , I have a young bantam Wyandotte cockbird identical colouring to Hugo , if you wanted to make bantams in them . In fact more Brahma type than Wyandotte ( no leg feathering but ). Let me know soon though he is planned to leave me this week :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next