Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Black Leghorn Breeders - Question

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:35 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I have been reading up and trying to grasp the yellow legs on black birds scenario. Someone on here once said the hardest thing to be achieved (or task they had set out to do) was the yellow leg on the black birds. The good articles i have read froim breeders , state a Novice's (which I clearly am) obvious breeding sceanrio is to put yellow leg to yellow leg, this then leads to problems further down the track, eg grey under colour and loss of correct sheen. It also reads that it seems to be quite easy to put yellow legs on the cockerels but a lot harder to put yellow legs on the pullets, surely they must be the same genetically. Then red in the hackles or bows is a feature that assists with correct colouring?
I also read that 30 years ago black leghorns had cockerel and pullet breeding lines but progressed to breed both from the same pen. Is this true. and if so how was it achieved.
So I was just wondering if we have any black leghorn breeders out there who could put their 2 bobs worth, any tips actually anything at all in on this topic would be really appreciated.
And for that fact any help would be welcomed.
As you may be aware I am trying to grasp this for my Black Wyandotte Bantam breeding programme.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:46 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

Hi Peter,

I think the gene that help yellow legs is Id inhibitor of dermal melanin, i also think it is sex linked, which means cocks have two copies and hens one, cocks always have yellower legs, i even find this in my PR, which are essentially black birds with barring added. I have been told recently to brighten legs if you can get eb(brown)/ER(birchen) split birds this will help. I dont know where you will get ER from in wyandottes, Blackdotte is the man hopefully he will read this post.

Cheers

Christian

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:11 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

Zebs wrote:
I also read that 30 years ago black leghorns had cockerel and pullet breeding lines but progressed to breed both from the same pen. Is this true. and if so how was it achieved.

My understanding of black leghorns in Oz is that we are still breeding pullet and cockerel breeders. My line of large blacks are pullet breeders with the cockerals showing white feather, but the females are to the standard. I haven't any problems at all with leg colour.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:16 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Denis

thanks do you mate yellow leg to yellow leg, has there been any down side as loss of green sheen etc, do you still get dusky leg pullets from this mating or all they all good legged.

sorry to ask so much, I am just trying to grasp it.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:05 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

There are still both pullet breeder & cockerel breeder strains of Black Wyandotte.
However most are pullet breeders, the cockerels having good yellow shanks but are white under the neck hackle & have grey undercolour;
Or
they are somewhat mixed up resulting in basically pullet breeder males & females with dusky/dark shanks.
My advice is, if you can't get hold of a good line of cockerel breeders (there were some in SA & WA about 5 or 6 years ago) just stick to the pullet breeders & never breed from a dark shanked male. Breed lots ,& cull heavily on shank colour.
You will also notice young cockerels have black to the skin undercolour until about 12-14 weeks of age, then the male hormones start to kick in and they become light in the undercolour.
David

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:53 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

Zebs wrote:
thanks do you mate yellow leg to yellow leg, has there been any down side as loss of green sheen etc, do you still get dusky leg pullets from this mating or all they all good legged.

If only get yellow legged birds so it's not a problem. No loss of sheen. I am no colour genetics expert, nor have bred black wys. so you will need to rely on someone like Blackdotte to give guidance.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:12 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Thank you all for your imput I am looking for these practical experiences and what breeders have found works or fails,
we have sourced Wyandottes from SA and bred well with them, and may have jagged a good cockerel breeding cockerel, he certainly impressed the Wyandotte judges at Armidale last week, in was awarded best Wyandotte bantam other than white, and there were plenty of good quality coloured wyandootes in the shed. and I dont want to bugger things up.
I will grab some leg shots to help explain things further for me.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:22 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

This leg has black down the front so is it what is referred to as a dusky leg or passes as a yellow leg

Peter