Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Partridge Wyandotte X Partridge Brahma- Title change

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:13 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Daza wrote:
A good looking cockral.
I'm keen to see if any Wyandotte breeders would think it's worth putting him back to a Wyandotte hen.
Daza

No comment from them Daza, must not be interested :hmmm:

They 2 boys are valuable to me and my program and thats really all that matters. Without the help of a couple of breeders, one in the Brahma and one in the Wyandottes I would be unable to experiment and seek guidance with my resultant offsprings :thumbs: Thanks Guys :)

This year is a few more Brahma X Wyandotte matings and they are exciting times ahead :D

I weighed him tonight and he is lighter than his brother and only weighs in at 3.5 kilos :lol:

Maybe I need to get that Partridge Wyandotte girl back on the freight train to me and breed with her son :rofl: .

Kyles has a partridge Brahma girl that I am going to use, just have to move my ass and get her :roll:. Possibly this week as I'm starting to feel much more like my old self and flu is going :thumbs: :bounce:

Interesting about the tail feathers on your girl Daza, never paid much attention to that before, and I'm sure some one will enlighten us :help: :shock: as to how to fix it and why this has happened. Maybe no-one wants to enter in on a discussion on a cross bred thread :hmmm: who knows.

Victoria

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:20 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Not a Problem Victoria, you may have to wait a week or 2 though...... i still have "issues" lol :shock: :confused: :thumbs:

here she is (Ella) at any rate, so you know what she looks like lol... just through her moult and 3/4 through growing it all back

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:44 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Kyles, Ella will fit in nicely :thumbs: she's a lovely :wink:

I hope your "Issues" are not due to your current signature :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Victoria

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:46 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

iIll put it this way... if I gave her to you now..... you'd have issues too lol lol :shock: :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:51 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Any time you want her back, just let me know. :thumbs:
Her son should carry the pullet breeding gene, so if you can get kyles pullet you will be a season infront of me.
If you wish to breed bigger partridge PB Wyandottes I would pick the secound cockral back to a Wyandotte hen. Then his biggest daughter to a Wyandotte roo. For me, he looks to have a better Wyandotte type, but I'm sure a wyandotte breeder isn't to faraway to give a better critque.
Wyandottes already have feather stubing on their legs in the gene pool, so I wouldn't think it is a big deal.
I would love to either of them..... 8)

Daza

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:56 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

:rofl: :rofl: Daza, I think you left a word out of your last line :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:04 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Oh my Daza, :shock:

I can think of a couple of words that could go in there .... 8)

Bah hahahahahahahaahahah :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:10 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Now look who's gone into hiding Kyles :rofl: :rofl:

must be catching :hmmm:

I think these cross breds are attracting all sorts :rofl: :transform: from Budgie smugglers to feather fanciers :shock: :wink:

I may have to put them under lock and key with the Laced Birds :rofl:

Victoria

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:12 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Too funny :rofl:

All beautiful birds, I'd be happy to have any of them. :D
Though I need more pens... :nail:

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:59 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Yeah all right. You guys are going to get another thread locked... :lol:

The missing word was, "I would love to HAVE either of them" I know exactly what you are all thinking.... :roll:

Daza.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:08 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

:rofl: Daza, That could be mis-interpreted too :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If your name is on the thread , :shock: then most probably :lol:

So keep it clean Daza :thumbs: 8) :rofl:

Victoria

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:26 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi :grouphug: to you. They are two very attractive roosters. Congrats on the breeding. wish I could have as much luck with my Partridge Brahma cockerel and hens. I have a couple of chicks that hatched but not many. :mrgreen: :claps:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:19 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

feathered friends wrote:
Hiya,

This is one of my Brahma X Wyandotte crosses from last seasons matings. A young Partridge cockrel

and showing his chest markings being the pullet breeder that he is.

I weighed him tonight and he is currently 3.7 kilos at age 27 weeks. He weighed in at 3.1 kilos at 20 weeks.

Tomorrow I will take a pic of his brother (nearly identical except brother has nearly all black breast) and compare.

I am more than happy with him. :D

Victoria

Hey Victoria,

They are growing out nicely. I was talking to a breeder of large cockerel breeding wyandottes on the weekend and I mentioned these two cockerels of yours to him. He sounded very interested in the black chested boy. Maybe you could ask him for a CB wyandotte girl to put with your black chested rooster, then provide him with eggs. Most of the chicks from this cross would be rose combed and clean legged, so they would look like a wyandotte.

From what has been said on here already it seems like you have a chance to do several very worthwhile things with these cockerels. Firstly, create a pullet breeding strain of partridge brahma. Secondly, create a decent cockerel breeding strain of partridge wyandotte in the large. Thirdly, improve your large cockerel breeding partridge brahma. The cockerel with the brown in his chest could also be put back to a pullet breeding wyandotte hen to improve size in the large pullet breeding wyandotte.

PB partridge Brahma and CB Partridge Brahma
The partridge brahma hen of kyles will be perfect to go back to both of your cockerels to start to produce both cockerel breeding and pullet breeding partridge brahma. You will begin to lock in brahma characteristics (pea comb, foot feather) with this mating but may struggle to get decent lacing in the girls and a solid black chest in the boys. See other matings below to create useful birds to breed back to offspring from this pen.

You could also use a large dark brahma hen (as the dark brahma have better type than the partridge) with either of the boys and keep the best of the girls as they will be partridge coloured. Your boys will be darks split for gold but if they are good in type and colour would be useful also.

PB Partridge Wyandotte
If you could get hold of another pullet breeding partridge wyandotte in the large you could pair her with the cockerel with brown in his chest to start to produce a large line of PB Partridge Wyandotte. I wouldn't put him back to his Mum as it would be best to add another hen to improve vigour and eliminate the chance of locking in faults. Besides creating lots of rose combed, clean legged wyandotte looking birds from this mating you would also get some more walnut combed birds with decent pencilling to be put back into your PB partridge brahma breeding program (ABOVE).

CB Partridge Wyandotte
If you could get hold of a CB wyandotte girl to put with your black chested rooster, most of the chicks from this cross would be rose combed and clean legged, but some would have decent colour in the cockerels and a walnut comb which could be put back in to your Cb partridge brahma breeding program (ABOVE).

Not suggesting you should do all of this but just thinking out loud so to speak. What are other peoples thoughts on any of these matings?

Cheers,

Luke.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:28 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Daza wrote:
Hi, sorry i didn't get these up on friday. :roll:

First is the old man Gold Partridge Brahma roo. He is moulting.

His Mother Partridge Wyandotte Pullet breeder.
Please excuse the photo. She would not cooperate.
Next is his sister with leg feathering. She is not laying yet so she still has a lot of growing to do.
You can see there is a long way to go with the foot feathers and type but it will be a lot easier when she can produce cockrals like Victoria's.

If some PB partridge breeders can give us a few pointers, that would be much appreciated.

Again i must apologise for the quality of the pictures.

Daza

Hey Daza,

Looks like you have a good breeding pen to get both pullet breeding and cockerel breeding partridge strains in the brahma started this year. Also, PB and CB Wyandotte :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:59 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Thank luke, I have two pens going at the moment.
This is my CB Partridge Brahma pen.
He is young but i think he will do.

One of his ladies.
My trio.

Daza