Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Mystery gene causing silkie feathers

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:30 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

To add to it and forgive me I get confused easy.. I put fester (Kyles lav silkie feathered araucana ckl) over a black pure silkie as part of making lavender silkies. So I hatched about 15 chics... all silkie feathered. I cannot tell any difference in them to normal silkie feathering it looks and feels the same. They look like normal silkies just bit different in shape and size.

Silkie to non silkie mating should produce normal feathered chics right?
Silkie to silkie produces all silkie chics so in my chics I do not know which (IF festers silkie feathers are caused by a different gene to pure silkie mum) how would I know which chics were what?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:38 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

How about a picture of the chickens expressing this new trait?

The pedigree is a little uncertain, but it does not sound like its sex linked. Having all roosters so far is probably just a random thing due to small numbers. Personally I'd put money on it being the silkie gene.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:48 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Well there haven't been thousands of chicks hatched I admit , but in excess of 100 yes certainly. I will get a photo of the Lav. Ara cross Cochin/ leghorn on the weekend( Sunday ) again ... Excuse my genetic ignorance here... I would have thought if it were a recessive silkie gene I would not have seen it appear in this cross. ?

Truthfully, I don't mind if it is or isn't... I'd just like to have a better handle on it. I just can't see how it keeps reappearing through unrelated breedings... That doesn't make sense to me.... But stranger things have happened lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:52 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I still have 2 of the lave silkie feathered ara's here but they are both boys. I havn't put them with anything yet to see what happens, I'll have to give it go!

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:55 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hey huney, yes, mine ( the ones affected) have all been boys too. It's interesting huh!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:57 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I was about to ask that? Hehehe, I think your onto something shhh!

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:12 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Just to add ... There is a thread on BYP by chiquita that has photos of chooksters "Fester". Maybe I can borrow those photos...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:08 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

The fact that it is showing only on the boys at the moment is very interesting. And no, if it was recessive it shouldn't have shown when you outcrossed to the Cochin/Leghorn. So it would appear that this gene is dominant.

The fact that it is only showing in boys is interesting, but could be due to small sample numbers and if you hatched a lot more outcrossed chicks like those three you may well get hens with silkie feathering. It would be very interesting to see if you do.

The alternative is that the gene is dominant, sex-linked and hemizygous lethal.

What the frell does that mean?

The rooster has two identicle sex chromosomes, W/W, and the hen has a big one W and a small one Z. In humans it is the opposite way around with females being X/X and males X/Y.

We would denote the affected chromosome slightly differently, and for the sake of the exersize I'm going to call it 'W(S)' for 'W chromosome with silkie feathering', and the big S indicates that it is dominant. So, your silkie-feathered roosters would be W(S)/W. That is, he has one chromosome with the mutation and one without. i.e. heterozygous.

What I am proposing is that the gene affected is necessary for some other process which, in turn, is necessary for life. Therefor your rooster needs his normal W chromosome with it's normal version of the gene to fulfill that purpose, and without a normal version of this gene, whatever it is, a chicken cannot live. Crossed to a normal hen (W/Z) his offspring would be as follows:

Sons: 50% W/W (normal) and 50% W(S)/W (silkie-feathered).
Daughters: 50% W/Z (normal) and 50% W(S)/Z (dead in shell).

If you hatch large numbers of out-crossed chicks and never get any silkie-feathered hens then this may be the scenario that you are looking at.

I would be very interested to hear what happens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:07 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Hi kyles !
This is the thread of beautiful Fester........ :biggrin:....

PS: he was once my baby boy and moved to chookster......wow, and now he becomes famous :woot:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7985567&start=0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:43 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Aww chiquita.... He was always famous !

It is interesting about the Lethal gene... I'm wondering if this is the case . There are always a couple DIS ... Nothing dramatic , just a couple..... Hmmm. I alway put it down to normal attrition.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:36 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

He looks quite different now much more 'silkie' I have to get pics. if fester had a gene for normal feathering I should get some normal feathered chics when crossed to silkie yes? So far all are silkie.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:50 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I'd love to see pics chookster ! :chicks:

chookster wrote:
He looks quite different now much more 'silkie' I have to get pics. if fester had a gene for normal feathering I should get some normal feathered chics when crossed to silkie yes? So far all are silkie.

They might all be boys then...... :confused:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:37 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Chookster, he would carry the normal feathering gene, just like his brother... Who is normally feathered. It's really intriguing !!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:38 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

My genetics lecturer used to hammer us with the question "is the pedigree correct?". Seems that very often its not ~ in humans about 15% of babies have the wrong father on the birth certificate! Stud merinos exposed to gene mapping revealed up to 25% of lambs being raised by the wrong mother.

Tine will tell about this silkie gene. The best strategy would be to do some test matings;

- to pure silkies ~ if all the progeny are silkie feathered, then this gene is either the same silkie gene or another mutation at the same or closely linked locus. If none of the progeny are silkie in the first generation, then this gene is definitely a new mutation. It may or may not be at a different place on the chromosome.

- to pure breeding normal feathered ~ if any progeny are silkie feathered, then it is a new mutation and it is inherited in a dominant fashion.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:12 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

To silkie all chics are silkie well LOOK and FEEL silky no way to tell the difference. So far all look to be pullets aswell... I had a good look, could be some boys time will tell.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next