Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Mystery gene causing silkie feathers

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:27 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I don't breed or keep silkie ( I have only 2 six month old pullets to use as future broody's) so have no idea of the outcomes of mating these with silkies except through chooksters experiences. I only know of the out come of breeding with unrelated lav aras and now with unrelated breed/s of chook.

I can only relay my experiences and what I see and what I know about the birds I have bred and what I have been told of the birds I first bought in. The lav aras whilst with me have never been bred with silkie, the original roo and unrelated hens from 3 different sources could not have all carried silkie?! .....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:17 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

shairlyn wrote:
The rooster has two identicle sex chromosomes, W/W, and the hen has a big one W and a small one Z. In humans it is the opposite way around with females being X/X and males X/Y.

You have it the wrong way around. Z is the large and W is the small chromosome.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:46 am 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Quote:
You have it the wrong way around. Z is the large and W is the small chromosome.

Oops, sorry, I'm used to working with people. :oops: So the rooster is ZZ and the hen ZW?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:06 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

think if I read it correctly it's meant to be "the hen is Zw".

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:11 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

This topic is interesting, I hatched 2 silkie feathered lavendar araucanas this year, both roosters.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:36 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

There is so much crossbreeding going onto chase different colours or accidentally its difficult to know if any of the breeds are pure anymore!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:25 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Every breed started out as a cross at some point. Some so called pure breeds are less that 100 years old. I have limited interest in showing silkies. I breed pit game for show and muscovies.

I breed the silkies for myself and for customers who come to me wanting silkies as pets who have no interest in showing and want birds in lots of colours that are healthy and active and fuss free. I breed pretty tough little paddock bashers you can chuck in your chook run and not have to trim crests, worry about dropping dead etc if they get a bit cold or wet. I am breeding for silkies that also carry twice the meat of the average lay better and sit less. I am breeding a bantam line and a large line. bantam the sixe of a belgian and large the size of a brahma.

That is my goal and it is a long way off. I sell only 'pure' silkies as 'pure' and all my experiements are sold as 'crosses and experiments'. I do not tell lies to people and the birds are priced accordingly. If someone wants an experiement to take on I share and they know full well what it is and the work involved.

The crosses are at least twice as tough as the pures and i get a much higher survival rate on the ground much earlier than I would dare put out a pure silkie.
I am interested in the hidden genes in the pure lines I am using as there are many and they would not be discovered if noone ever did this. I want to find out if there is more than one gene causing the silkie feather mutation and if those genes have different effects on the birds they occur in.
I want to find out if their are colours that are hidden that havn't been seen before. I want to see what happens if I put things together noone else has tried.

Poultry don't have a stud book, thats why I breed chooks because I can do this and I think long term. My lines will not be inbred but I am only 28 and if I happen to live another 30 years and can breed chooks for most of them that is plenty of time to set my lines the way I want.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:42 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Good on you chookster!

My point in relation to this silkie gene turning up, is that its difficult to know if it is just the regular silkie gene turning up from some unknown crossing generations back or if it is a new mutation. My money would be on a crossbred origin rather than a new mutation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:57 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

This is where my knowledge of genetics and stunted IQ lets me down. so i made this thread so the ones who do know genes can have a chat about it. I can go by what I see, and show the smarter people and ask them, tell them how it occurs and where and they can discuss. So far every chic I hatched from this cross is a pullet. If I get a male i will let you all know.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:26 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I agree,in so far as, in the "purebred" Lav Araucana line (Bantam) if both lines have Silkie generations back then yes, it theoretically could show up with a dose in each parent line. my confusion lies in the fact that it has shown up across using one particular roo across hens from three supposedly unrelated lines ( ok lets presume they have all got related lines).
So test mating with the Cochin / LH hen.... bingo, it shows up again in the first lot of 3 chicks. It would be very unlikely that the parents of this hen have Silky in their background. Not dismissing the idea... just find it unlikely in the last hen. I am thinking of putting him over a Sebright hen and seeing what happens

thoughts ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:36 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I have done the ultimate test, someone is going to shoot me.

I put in a spare American game hen I am not currently using for anything but eggs. I know for certain, that this hen has never had silkie in her background... explaining why would offend someone because I would have to mention what they were used for but anyone who knows what american game are will be nodding... no way she has silkie.

Now if anything silkie ever results from this... then we do not have the normal silkie gene.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:42 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

good test, similar reasoning behind me using a sebright,

We shall test and see.

Interesting though h0w the early cross test is being disregarded,.... I should spend more time posting maybe .............

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:06 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

So far I have only used hin with silkie so this should be interesting. Did you get silkie feathering in first crosses to normals? I think you said you did already but I am brain dead right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:12 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

I'll be very interested to see the result of this new cross!

I think that silkie feathering is recessive. Perhaps someone who breeds them can confirm this?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:15 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Here is a silkie feathered W/C polish chook I seen at a local show, the breeder said they did not cross the parent birds with silkies and never have this was just a throw back:

Kai

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next