Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Australian Game Profile

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Australian Game Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:54 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

HISTORY

The Australian game were developed by crossing Australian Pit Games, Old English Games, Malays, and Asil. Originally, called Colonials, they were highly prized as they possessed great courage and stamina in the pit, yet gentle and tame towards their owners. Due to the Malay infusion they were quite leggy for fighting, and at the time, the craze in the British chicken fraternity was for long legged birds such as the Modern Game and Langshan. With the infusion of the Modern Games the Australian Game was created.

AUSTRALIAN STANDARD

This very tall, large and rugged breed was developed over the second half of the nineteenth century in New South Wales. Originally called Colonial Game, they developed from a variety of crosses of Pit Game, Malay Game, Modern Game and Old English Game. The breed was not strictly a fancier's creation as "Colonials" were considered an ideal farmer's fowl, especially for the production of table poultry. Today Australian Game are kept purely as an exhibition breed by their admirers. Bantams of the breed have been created over the last 25 years and have a strong following.

The body of the Australian Game should be cone shaped, with no hint of flatness in the wings or wedginess in the breast. Unlike the Malay Game, they should have a flat back. The feathering is exceptionally hard and close fitting, with a minimum of down. They should be a balanced fowl, with nice proportions and massive size. Bantams have also been developed in a range of colours.

Male Characteristics

CARRIAGE - upright and fearless. An active and vigorous bird.

TYPE - Body short, stout, widest at the shoulders, tapering to the tail. Back flat, shoulders high and square. Breast hard and full (not turkey breasted). Saddle hackle short. Wings strong, fair length, well clipped up.

HEAD - Long and strong. Beak strong, slightly curved, stout at the base. Comb pea or triple (if undubbed). The comb not to grow further back than an upright line with the back of the eye. Face, ear-lobes and throat fairly smooth. Eyebrows slightly overhanging.

NECK - Long and slightly arched. Hackle short and close fitting.

TAIL - Moderate in length, slightly above horizontal and carried moderately full. The sickle feathers fairly abundant and slightly curved.

PLUMAGE - Sound, glossy and hard.

LEGS - Thighs long, stout and muscular. Shanks long and well scaled. Spurs set low down and inclining backwards.

FEET - Flat on ground with toes strong and well spread, the hind toe well extended and flat on the ground.

Female Characteristics

The hen should resemble the male in all points except size, allowing for the natural sexual differences

COLOURS

NOTE: The score card indicates no points for colour of Australian Game.On the show bench, birds of superior style, type, feather quality and condition should be sought by the judge.

WEIGHTS

Cock 4.10-5.45kg (9 - 12lb)

Hen 4.10-4.55kg (9 - 10lb)

BANTAMS

Male 1255-1580g (44 - 56 oz)

Female 1020-1255g (36 - 44 oz)

PHOTOS FROM THE GALLERY

DUCKWING

PILE

BLACK RED OR PARTRIDGE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:11 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

AND HERES AN INTERESTING ONE FROM RUFF, A STUNNING LEMON BLUE/HONEY DUN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:26 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Nice, but is there any chance of referencing the information used.

I recall reading somewhere that Neville Cayley (bird fame) sketched a Colonial Game Fowl, before their transition to exhibition fowl, for one of the early newspapers. Has anyone seen or have a copy of this sketch?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:33 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Sorry I used Ultimate Fowl and the Australian Standards. If you google Australian Gamefowl, there is some useful information.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:43 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Some other material that may be useful includes:
- Plant, W. History of the Australian Game Fowl (articles from Aust newspaper Poultry).
- Marshall, M. King of Fowls.
- Compton, A. Malays, Gamefowls and Bantams in Australia.
- Kemp, R. Exhibition Poultry Breeders Handbook.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:56 am 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

here is some skectches from mark marshall's book "the king of fowl" between pages 2 and 3:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:09 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

here is an extract from the book:

'the king of fowl' pp 3 by mark marshall.2nd ed 1981
ISBN 0 904558 96 7

very interesting little book. first published 1958. includes info on oeg and aus pit game.

i am yet to go through my books thouroughly as i have found conflicting info where colour is not important then one book goes into the aspects of perfect colour and breeding. what i find very confusing is that the legs are normally willow but the yellow legs on the pile are more desirable not a sensible difference and i want to find out why.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:18 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

In the Australian Standards it lists the colours that commonly seen in the Aussie Game, from memory it describes Black Red, Pile and Duckwing. It goes onto say that for the other colours, you refer to the Modern Game colour descriptions. Hence maybe the favourable trait for yellow legs on piles, here is the Modern game influence.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:30 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I used to have a line of Spangle Aussie Game Fowl they were far to fine for me similar to a coarse modern. I would have loved to have had time to persist with them but a transfer to Brisbane and living in rental accommodation for 15yrs put a stop to them.

Is anyone still playing with spangles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:40 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I just bought The Australian Gamefowl book by Reg and Colin Watson it arrived in the post today. It has some very useful information from what i've read so far. Lots of illustrations not many photo's and a few older standards.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:10 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks for the great profile. THis has now been linked to the breed profile page.

Cheers
Raf

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

These are some photo's of my Aussie games......

I got these three when they were 6 weeks old. They are 25 weeks old now and are growing out to be nice birds. To give an idea of size, the distance between the two pipes on the wall behind the rooster is 1.2m.

I would say he's around the 70 to 73 cm mark in that stance. His father was 81 cm at 11 months so I'm expecting he'll get a bit more height as he matures.

The hens aren't laying yet so fingers crossed nothing will happen to them between now and next breeding season as these are the best ones I've got.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:37 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Here are some pics of some bantams I got last weekend.

The photo's aren't that great but they are still in their quarantine cages. I'll post some more when I move them out into their new pens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:14 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi game I like the pics o your young large fowl, I'm not convinced on the bantams I think they are of poor type and most likely have modern blood in them, the best Aussie bantams in wa would belong to Harry Williams old tutty line maybe try him out if your after quality birds cheers Scotty , I breed Aussie bantams il try get pics up

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:11 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

scottyk wrote:
Hi game I like the pics o your young large fowl, I'm not convinced on the bantams I think they are of poor type and most likely have modern blood in them, the best Aussie bantams in wa would belong to Harry Williams old tutty line maybe try him out if your after quality birds cheers Scotty , I breed Aussie bantams il try get pics up

Have to agree with you about the bantams, but it gives me something to work with. It's very hard to acquire quality stock out here in the wheatbelt, and when you're in the middle of renovating a house the coin is also an issue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next