Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Australian Game Profile

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:13 pm 
Offline
Gallant Game
Gallant Game
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 9:04 pm
Posts: 564
Location: Australia
It is very common to see bantam Australian game with red/orange eyes because the majority were mixed with bantam Moderns to reduce size, bantam breeders seem to constantly breed back to the Modern loosing the pearl eye genes in the process.
It eye colours carry a few different genes to produce and stabilize, by breeding from a different pearl eyed strain with one dose you should produce chicks with shaded red/orange and lighter coloured eyes, at first you would need to keep birds long enough to see their outcome results, this could be 18 months, selecting both parents with the lightest coloured eyes would eventually produce pearl.. Birds who take the longest to become pearled eye would mean they carry the least pearl eye genes, each time you select breeders it is best to breed from those turning pearl the quickest..

By introducing one pearl eyed bird into your flock it would mean a costly long wait, because you would need to do a lot of culling and keeping birds a long time to see results. Whichever path you take you need five years or five generations to make any gene allele, providing your selection was done correctly within your third year you should notice a big change.

I would consider purchasing pearl-eyed pair already with these genes being allele while experimenting with your original strain.. Or at least introduce a cock bird with all the allele genes, what this means the cock bird strain should be one of those coming from a flock that produces 100% pearl eyed birds.

Personally I would shop for a pair or a trio from good pearl-eyed stock and experiment with your original birds by swapping the pearl-eyed cock around keeping one pen with his own bloodline hens and another pen with your own hens and punch hole all chicks for further identity.

For exhibition purpose only, having pearl eye is not all that important, this is only a matter of choice, I’m not sure if pearl eye earned any points and if it did it be small amount. ( if I remember correctly I think it was 2 point ).
I, personally prefer pearl/white eyed birds because I think this colour suited the breed.. Some breeders including overseas prefer all tall breeds with orange/red eyes because they believe red eyed birds have more courage or fearless, may be this is a myth.. On the other hand I’m not a cocker I see myself as being a craftsman/preserver therefore excessive aggression is at the bottom of my list.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:02 pm 
Offline
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:11 am
Posts: 40
Thanks chickenpox I think I might put one of my smaller large fowl to my bantam hen with the lightest eye colour after all I want my bantams to look the same style as my large


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:16 pm 
Offline
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:11 am
Posts: 40
Anyone got any breeding plans for this year with there Aussies. I'm going to make a start on creating a line of large self blacks from a nice cockerel That was given to me from ruff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:34 pm 
Offline
Gallant Game
Gallant Game
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 9:04 pm
Posts: 564
Location: Australia
Aaron newman wrote:
Anyone got any breeding plans for this year with there Aussies. I'm going to make a start on creating a line of large self blacks from a nice cockerel That was given to me from ruff.
I have no plans..I like to know how you make a self black pullet from a black male ?. I have the opposite of you a cross bred self black pullet, now I have no clue how to make a black male...I be reading closly see if I can copy your method. :biggrin:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:24 pm 
Offline
Great Game
Great Game

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:57 am
Posts: 1267
Location: Hamilton Vic
Stabilising the pale eye in my pile bantams - think I have the ingredients, and coming down a little in size with out losing type.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:56 pm 
Offline
Assist Admin
Assist Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:11 am
Posts: 21602
Location: Gold Coast, QLD, AUSTRALIA
Aaron requested that this pic of his be added here:
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:03 pm 
Offline
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:11 am
Posts: 40
Cackles wrote:
Aaron requested that this pic of his be added here:
Image

Thankyou Cackles :sungs
What do you guys think of this boy he weighs about 5kg and stands at about 75 or 80 at a good stretch and almost 18 months old any thoughts would great cheers Aaron


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:02 pm 
Offline
Gallant Game
Gallant Game
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 9:04 pm
Posts: 564
Location: Australia
Aaron has he got a split wing and Shamo blood in him ?, he seems to be missing a few features, your duck-wing looked better male to me, hope I didn't offend you in any way. :help:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:38 pm 
Offline
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:11 am
Posts: 40
chickenPox wrote:
Aaron has he got a split wing and Shamo blood in him ?, he seems to be missing a few features, your duck-wing looked better male to me, hope I didn't offend you in any way. :help:

No offence mate. He doesn't have split wing just quite a few rugged and broken feathers from dust bathing in the rock hard ground where I live. There has been no shamo in them for the 12 years I've owned this line before that I could not say. What makes you think there may be shamo in him? Cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:16 am 
Offline
Gallant Game
Gallant Game
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 9:04 pm
Posts: 564
Location: Australia
Aaron newman wrote:
What makes you think there may be Shamo in him?
I was inquisitive to see if he did because I like mixing oriental breeds together…I apologize for misjudging his appearance, his face seems to be so clean from any stubble or wattles with a small dewlap, his head reminds me of the perfect Shamo type..
I envy his comb would like that comb shape on my Shamo program.. This bird would be nice to mate with a lean tall Aussie game hen.

My few Aussie game all have roach backs from mixing with Malays, big no,no when showing with roach backs, I think it’s an instant disqualification.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:58 am 
Offline
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:11 am
Posts: 40
chickenPox wrote:
Aaron newman wrote:
Anyone got any breeding plans for this year with there Aussies. I'm going to make a start on creating a line of large self blacks from a nice cockerel That was given to me from ruff.
I have no plans..I like to know how you make a self black pullet from a black male ?. I have the opposite of you a cross bred self black pullet, now I have no clue how to make a black male...I be reading closly see if I can copy your method. :biggrin:

Chickenpox I have no idea what I'm doing to breed black just a few ideas put to me by ruff so in my case it's just try this and see what happens. Once I start getting some chicks out I will keep you informed cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:04 am 
Offline
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:11 am
Posts: 40
blackleghorn wrote:
Stabilising the pale eye in my pile bantams - think I have the ingredients, and coming down a little in size with out losing type.

Hi blackleghorn thanks for your reply please keep us up to date with your progress


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:24 am 
Offline
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:11 am
Posts: 40
chickenPox wrote:
Aaron newman wrote:
What makes you think there may be Shamo in him?
I was inquisitive to see if he did because I like mixing oriental breeds together…I apologize for misjudging his appearance, his face seems to be so clean from any stubble or wattles with a small dewlap, his head reminds me of the perfect Shamo type..
I envy his comb would like that comb shape on my Shamo program.. This bird would be nice to mate with a lean tall Aussie game hen.

My few Aussie game all have roach backs from mixing with Malays, big no,no when showing with roach backs, I think it’s an instant disqualification.

I think the angle of this pic makes his head look different. I am open to any criticism on my birds because I pretty much only had my self to learn from. I can remember the old cocker who was blind mind you that give me my first Aussies telling me stay away from Malay and don't buy birds from breeders that keep Malay. My duckwings are from a male I got down south to a partridge hen to to this line then I put the daughters back to the male I feel there heads are touch on the week side but they are still only young what do you think? I will post a pick of duckwing female that I kept.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:04 am 
Offline
Gallant Game
Gallant Game
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 9:04 pm
Posts: 564
Location: Australia
I respect old cocker opinion even though I disagree, every story has a reason behind it..
Australian game gene pool is mostly Malay, I can’t see how mixing them back together can damage Australian game, providing they where line bred back again for their next four to five generations making their genetics back to allele, crossing should do more good than harm, some breeders even cross them back with large Moderns, I’m against using Moderns because of their eye colour with some even carrying a little white on their lobs, very hard to get rid of these genes in any strain..

We almost lost both breeds from lacking popularity during after the war because there was so few people supporting tall breeds, Malay and the Aussie game breeders had no choice to solve signs of deformity, often birds where suffering with hollow or crooked beaks, bend toes, split-wings, tails bend to one side etc; At the time the best solution was to cross the two breeds together to increase their immunity..

Cross breeding happens with a lot of breeds on a large scale, but unless we very close friends with breeders enabling us to analyse their breeding programs sussing and asking questions they didn’t tell anyone, the majority of cross breeding stays behind closed doors kept secretive in case it leaked wrecking reputation.. I chose to be out in the open with cross breeding so other breeders can learn from my mistakes helping them reaching their destiny quicker, may be because I always looked at my fowl keeping as a hobby rather an enterprise for profiteering..

Aaron newman wrote:
My duckwings are from a male I got down south to a partridge hen to to this line then I put the daughters back to the male I feel there heads are touch on the week side but they are still only young what do you think? I will post a pick of duckwing female that I kept.
By now you should have an accurate keen eye to identify potentials, I can tell facial qualities by their third month, eye brows or depth within their eye sockets can take much longer but at 12 months of age these features should be noticeable, head broadness/width I could tell early.. It is easier when you have a number of chicks growing together at around same age to compare from each other.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:00 pm 
Offline
Hatchling
Hatchling

Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 9
Hi Folks,

Here's my boy Blaze,He has taken on the local fox twice and won,Got some go in him if ya know what I mean :thumbs:


Attachments:
AG 042.JPG
AG 042.JPG [ 950.59 KiB | Viewed 7251 times ]
AG 042.JPG
AG 042.JPG [ 950.59 KiB | Viewed 7251 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
©2004-2014 Backyardpoultry.com. Content rights reserved
freestone