Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Breeding the BUFF LACED WYANDOTTE - whats the story?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:14 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ayam wrote:
Poulet the standard practice in breeding buff laced is a gold laced male x buff lace female. It is MOST important the male is well marked with crisp clean lacing.

As with all Wyandottes they must have size if they are large fowl. If bantam they need to err towards being on the large size that is permissible for Wyandottes. This produces larger lacing which is more desirable. Both large and bantam need to have thick tails

Matt

Thanks, Matt
Yes, I'm talking large not bantam.
So I've got my fingers crossed for a buff lace female, and will look out for a well laced gold lace male.
Shame about the pretty white boy. Maybe I need to breed white Wyandottes too. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:24 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

By the way, I've uploaded a photo of the white cockerel to my member's gallery. I'd appreciate any comments anyone would like to make about him. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:59 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Poulet, I wouldn't worry about him. The best large Buff Laced here in Australia are bred from show quality Whites carrying dominate white. Although rare if you can source these in NZ and mate them to Gold Lace, the offspring within two generations will take your breath away :shock:

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:54 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Right, thanks
I'm sharpening the axe right now :catch: :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:56 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Just revitalising the discussion on this.

How washed out can you expect from the double Dominant White I/I?

Can it be almost completely white? Or do you just wash out the gold to lemon. Should you expect good lacing on light ground colour, or the ground colour to be almost completely removed?

Raf

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:03 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

i have a buff laced easter egger hen looking at her id say it came from a jubilee game bird of some description as she's quite tight feathered and pretty small tail, bugger all bum fluff. i have a roo from her and a barred araucana with slight lacing on chest. he's white with red on wings saddles and ginger red laced hackles. my question is if trying for buff laced wyandottes would i be better off breeding mum who is well laced to a splash laced gold/red wyandotte roo or the son to splash laced gold/red wyandotte hens? i have the splash laced hens from a mates blue laced red culls. too light. so wondering if i can work on buff laced with what i have. would i be better off breeding the hen with the wyandotte roo and the roo to the wyandotte hens and just picking the best laced/wyandotte type to put back to the wyandottes?

pic links below. was considering trying for red pile on the ara side of things but leg colour is an issue there at the moment.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/image/i ... 0/flags/LL
http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/b/bd/90 ... _4921.jpeg