Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Can a male have both recessive gold and lavender? WITH PICS

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:08 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

BLUE Laced SILVER Splash cockrel split for GOLD.

Does he count ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:17 pm 
barnywood i failed genetics at uni twice. however i did senior biology and other science subjects at uni. i quit uni after 3 years and trained as a nurse which i completed. however back in those days when i was doing environmental studies and then completed nursing there were no jobs for such people. so i got married had kids, got divorced and raised a family. all my life from before i went to school i have bred plants and animals. my very first were cacti and tropical fish. i new about dinosaurs before i went to school which was not normal back in them thar days. and so i have continued with all these things. then i got into chooks and then there was the computer (the kids thought they new it all but mum knows more now) and then digital photography, then the internet. wouldyou believe i started art classes a couple of years ago and i feel it was the best thing in the world for my photography. i also found kazjaps (who is in hybernation at the moment) who steered me me towards the right books, the right internet sights and gave me so much of her time.

BUT it is all just a hobby, perhaps more an obssesion. i combine art and science. i could not get my books published and found BYP so i play here. i am isolated basically from the poultry world, so the internet is my garden. what has made me worse is the desire to forget my life and live in ether which is most likely unhealthy. i have a very supportive partner in mr ruff who puts up with me (but then who would put up with him? :lol: )

the answer to your blue and lavender question. blue and lavender work at the same time. where blue does its thing lavender then works on what is left. so a splash blue has the splashes changed to lavender. no black shows just lavender. the colour is paler where it is blue and normal lavender where it is black. intensity depends on how dark the blue was in the first place.

i think today to really understand genetics you will need biochemistry and that is in the pure sciences and this involves a lot of mathematics, something i never was good at.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:22 pm 
micki i don't know the genetics of your rooster but he is not lavender as the lavender would have diluted the red to pink. i need to think about your fellow a bit more. he possibly be could be silver....with columbian ......and loads of mahogany.... :hmmm:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:25 pm 
no no Db with or without columbian.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:43 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Helps if i read the thread correctly ! Sorry.

Hit to the head this week has helped me none . . . was not real bright before it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:15 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

rwood wrote:
Quote:
what do you think? Is she/he showing lavender?

No.

I think he/she is poorly patterned silver, or, perhaps recessive white.

Raf

:oops: FAIL :oops:

I would go with what ruff says.

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:35 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

rwood wrote:

:oops: FAIL :oops:

I would go with what ruff says.

We still love you Raf.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:09 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

wow ruff, you have a very active mind do you get time to sleep :shock: So I have a blue pekin showing a couple of black feathers, if I bred her to my lavender roo would this help hide the black feathers in the chicks and would she need a lavender gene for this to work? I could be barking up the wrong tree, is this better acheived by breeding back to white.
Sounds like there is no hope for me gaining your knowledge. Being 30 with 3 little kids does not a uni student make. :?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:37 pm 
raf at least you are game enough to put up what you think.

barnywood i will think about a reply when i have overcome the effects of red wine with my daughter and her boyfriend.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:34 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Yes, this is a problem I quite often have. Reading what is written on facebook the next day is always good for a laugh. Hope head is not sore today :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:00 am 
barnywood there is heaps of ways o learning enough basic genetics to hep with your breeding. blackdottes book (see the forum library) is excellent plus there is another genetics book out that is still in print by golden ckl books. without a basic understanding of genetics you are plundering around in the dark. why are you trying to remove black feathers from a white chook? there are a lot of ways to make a white chook and the odd black feather is normal.

3 little kids is nothing, wait till they are teenagers. genetics stuff is jusr right fior lots of interruptions as you can only absorb a snall amount at a time anyhow. i used to write stuff down and use it as book marks and regularly refer to it ( i am a slow learner).

kazjaps (who is on a long break) started from no knowledge os science and she is an amazing lady. she has an extreme passion for poultry genetics, wanting to understand it and teaching others...i cannot find the link to her site at the moment. when i started i was so amazed at how she did it.

genetics is very important to understand a little of as in todays society it is refered to all the time, especially for diseases such as breast cancer etc. one should never allow others to control our lives just because we do not understand something and by understanding you retain your power to make informed decisions. starting with basic chook stuff helps you understand the stuff thrown around by the media and politicians. also helps you grow your vegies and run a farm. it is applicable in all forms of day to day living from what you eat to your health and your families health.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:29 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Genetics is a subject that has always interested me and I am having fun learning on my chooks. I will track down blackdotts book. I am not trying to remove black feathers from a white chook but black feathers from a blue chook. I have a lavender roo and a blue hen (with a couple of stray black feathers). I was wondering if my lavender roo would remove this black in the chicks. Somehow I got a snippet of info from my head that crossing a white chook back to a blue chook with some black feathers helps to eliminate the black from the offspring. Where I heard this I don't know and it could be just a load of bollocks. I have some chicks just hatched from the lav roo/blue hen but grey and yellow down is all they have at present. Perhaps my blue hen has recessive lavender?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:29 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

:shock: WOW :shock:

I have been away from the laptop for a few nights and was surprised to see all these posts!

Thanks for posting Ruff, I was hoping that you would, as I have read a lot of your posts about lavender. I did truly believe that this chick looked lavender right from the start but wasn't sure if it was possible.

To try and clarify my earlier post:

* I knew that Dad was silver millefleur split for gold
* I wasn't sure if he could also have recessive lavender
* The eggs were a mixture from Gold Millefleur, Silver Millefleur and Silver Porcelaine hens

Here is a photo of the Silver Porcelain hen that is most likely the mum (although if hens can have recessive lav, then the silver millfleur could also be the mum):

Ruff I really have to agree with a statement you have made in various threads, about learning from sub-standard chooks. My ratty silver millie fella turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I have ended up with 3 colours fom only 1 roo and I have learnt heaps by looking at the little ones grow and change colour. I have 2 babies that have lots of colour so I can't wait to see if their patterning turns out well.

I will not be able to breed again for a few years, so being able to successfully breed this bunch has been more than wonderful considering i am not even allowed a rooster where I live, let alone 3 different coloured ones.

Thankyou everyone for your contributions!

YAY I have silver porcelaine bub! :woot: