Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - tagging the chooks

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tagging the chooks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:17 pm 
well i want to identify some of my chooks and am interested in trying wing tags. i have not put this in the husbandry part of the forum even though it should most likely be there. but i figure it is part of breeds and breeding and the people who do it are more likely to be found here.

now i have never done this before so have not a clue. i helped my neighbour with his idea of IDing his chooks before a show and we spluttered our way through his idea which was interesting. we used those studs that you put in the corners of jeans to strengthen them. i took a photo but it was on the wrong setting so i will have to have another go. basically we did adult birds, punched a hole in the wing and squeezed the 2 parts of the stud together with a special applicator. we did a few birds and none got infected, they have been done a few months now. i believe these could easily fall out but most likely leave a hole.

anyhow going from there he bought some chooks that had already been tagged. these were brass tags with ID numbers and i think you can buy then from america (better hurry up while the A$ is high). here are photographs of one on a large old english game hen:

closer:

they cannot be seen normally on a fully feathered bird as the feathers conceal them perfectly.

Post subject: Re: tagging the chooks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:28 pm 
now i bought 3 sorts of tags to see what they are like. the green ones are duck tags which you need an applicator for and i accidently bought them but as yet may need them for the large indian game.

here is what the underside of the plastic tags (green and yellow pictured):

here are the padlock type ones closeup:

now they come in packs of 10. the come with no instructions. so what i am asking is:

1 has anyone any experience with these?
2. which do you think are the best?
3. how best do i apply them?
4. does bantam, large fowl or duck need special sizes like for example would the large indian game, malay or aussie be more suited to the duck variety.
5. can somone put up a photo of them in use, especially those padlock ones and give a critic of them?
6 is there any best age to apply them?
7. and i am sure i can think of a million other questions with time.

i will try and put some photos up of them being applied. me thinks i might need 3 people though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:35 pm 
now here is a nice simple tag that the oxford club use in their shows to identify a bird. the writing last longer than the show as it has been written with a permanent marking but not long enough to be of long term use.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:29 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Great Info, ruff. I will put a link to this thread in the Husbandry Index so it can be found from that forum too.

NellyG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:27 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Have you seen this link ruff
http://www.nationalband.com/wingbanding.htm
http://www.nationalband.com/nbtpoult.htm

More so for chickens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:39 pm 
thankyou macl27 that is the sort of thing i am after. i am also after first hand information like pros and cons on thetypes as well as bloopers.....gotta be some of them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:47 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Kevin Adams of K and K Adams Pekins put wing clips like those gold ones on all their birds. But they have a different colour for each season and each has a number.

He showed me when I met him in Canberra and bought some Pekins off him. When I got home I checked out my others and found I had some more of his birds bought through a second party. I emailed him and he could tell me the year they were born and also their breeding and quality.

I have had some of these birds for a few years and on issues with the wing clips. I did not even know they were there until he pointed them out even though I check them for mites and lice and cuddle them heaps.

Cheers
Shayne

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:39 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

ruff wrote:
now here is a nice simple tag that the oxford club use in their shows to identify a bird. the writing last longer than the show as it has been written with a permanent marking but not long enough to be of long term use.

You could write on one of those with a cheap engravers tool or even a soldering iron and then color in the number with the texta or paint. The texta or paint should last longer because it isn't likely to be rubbed away, it's indented.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:03 pm 
i have been thinking that seeing some of these tags are so unlikely to be noticed from what shayne has said they would be excellent in identifying birds if they could ever be trcked down after a theft. for example if you see a suspect bird at the markets you could ask to handle it and look for the tag. yes the tag could be removed or replaced but if the thief is ignorant the tag will go unnoticed.

i have ordered the applicator for the duck tags and i have another type of tag sent to me i will photograph. unfortunatly i cannot put up photos of tagging until mr ruff is home as i need an experienced handler and some grey matter input into it all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:20 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Hi Ruff

Check out this link. These look like the ones I have on my birds. This site gives you a instructions on how to put them on with pics

http://www.nationalband.com/wingbanding.htm

Cheers Shayne

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:15 pm 
yes shayne i have that in my favourite to be printed out when ythe time comes.

have got a couple of things to put up later but need to check my dog before she gets up to mischief and give her something to do for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:41 pm 
here is another type of wing tag:

here are some basic instructions:

NOW if mr ruff is patient and i can get him to help me i can do a serries of photos of applying these tags and photos of the different tags on different breeds. this may take me quite a while to complete (like the sticky on killing and dressing out a chook was). this topic maybe useful as a sticky....saves me having to look for it every time i want to add something.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:58 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

hi ruff,

can you see these bands when birds are exhibited? or are they more used to identify breeders? Do you think a bird could be disqualified from exhibition if these bands were in place?

Cheers

Christian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:27 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Christian, I don't think wing bands are a problem. THe "Adams Family" show their pekins with them in and I have shown a bird I got from them (not a pekin) with one and didn't have any problems. I think you will find that it is only "visible" tags that are not allowed by most clubs. wing tags ahould not be visible from putside the pen.

Ruff, I used the last lot of tags you put up in my meat rabbits and still have about 1000 ofthen that I will be using in my chooks at some stage. The rabbits loved them as it gave them something else to chew.

SS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:09 am 
on most of the birds banded a person has to look for them by feel first. i do not know how they go on the big game birds which are sparser in feather and require (i thhink) bigger bands due to bigger bones.

i think it will not be long before bands become mandatory at bigger shows.

if severel people are using bands on their birds then unless the number has been recorded (and type and colour) an untrustworthy judge could never be sure of who's bands are who's. and the judge would have to obviously look for a band in front of descerning specators.

it is a far cheeper and easier alternatve than microchipping.

my attitude is 'no one is going to look for a band at a show and i will only band for my own reasons'. if i do not say my birds are banded then no one will know. i have yet to see how they stand out on the aussies yet but i see this as a better alternative than what i use now on my indians as leg bands are bad news if they are not watched carefully. i shall show you what i use now as soon as get photos of them.