Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - some interesting pekin colours in development

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:54 pm 
here is an interesting example of hen feathering. i am putting it into my pekins to eliminate the need for cockerel and pullet breeding pens in laced pekins. here it is here on a partridge bred ckl. it is interesting to note that he is not the normal black red male expected with the partridge colour:

here is his matching hen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:57 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

twins, seperated at birth!

I think Pekins are just lovely birds.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:59 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

he is a very handsome boy, how do you account for him genetically? he has a rich colour and is looking like the lacing in getting there. do you want the lacing to go up into his hackles, if so how will you do that? wow you do some amazing things.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:03 pm 
another colour pattern i am working on is the pile and chamois. both colours use one dose of the gene dominant white. seeing the colour is not standardized in pekins there is no set demand on what it should really look like. here is a cockerel i think heis wheaten based but also he appears to be cuckoo. i will only know when his chickens hatch:

here is a hen that is eb/partridge showing quite good lacing:

lacing up close:

the dominant white is from indian game, the hen feathering from the sebright. 5 years of work up to now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:10 pm 
caladenia i am just chugging along. i was going to cull the henny as he gurggled for ages but when i put him on free range he seems to have stopped (i was using him as dog bait actually). the aim is to improve type but keep the colour, make sure they are healthy and just go from year to year. ultimatly i want to combine all these genes plus things like mottling into one line. a line that i can carry with me if i have to move and still have all the hard work packed into the birds where i can break it up again into separate colour patterns when i settle again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:26 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Good idea ruff! Come and live near me in SA. Oh and bring those Pekins too. :thumbs: