Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Chinese Silkies and Other Breeds of Chooks. -

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:11 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

We are in the process of building a Chicken Coop for my daughter. She wants Chinese Silkies, but we have been told that this breed aren't really good layers. My question is this - can Chinese Silkies be kept with other breeds - such as Isa Browns or Australorps?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:32 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

silkies are not teh best of layers, but will make lovely pets for your daughter.

i don't know about keeping them with australorps, but they are best not kept with birds such as isa browns, who will pick on them with their gentler natures.

is it possible to make a pen in two parts, or maybe, get some isabrowns that are only babies and they can grow up with the silkies as the bosses, and this usually extends into adulthood.

its a tough one, cuteness vs egg productivity.

on the plus side, i have found silkies to be good winter layers, but they don't tend to lay much at other times of the year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:40 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for that - I have been doing a bit of reading on this forum - do you think a better mix would be Silkies with Wyandottes or Barnies - or do you think it best not to mix the breeds together at all. I was also perhaps thinking of getting older Chinese Silkies and younger other breeds. Friends who live two doors up have Isa Browns, 1 Sussex and 1 Silkie - don't seem to have any problems although Chinese silkie is very docile.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:08 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

i have had silkies with wyandottes both bantam and standard, and they seemed to get along fine. i don't know about barnies.............sorry but trying not to mislead you.

the older silkies with younger other birds is definitely worth a try.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:00 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I have had silkies with australorps and wyandottes with no problems at all. But the lorps I have are also good with chicks and ducklings so maybe I just have a quiet strain of lorp. But I wouldn't put a silkie hen with a lorp roo - just too big for her. My silkies were never good layers except for one white hen. She would lay 20 eggs (1 every 2 days) and go broody - and after leaving chicks about 6 weeks later would start laying after about a week until the next 20 eggs - give or take a few. Also laid through winter. I now have peklins and they lay 2 every 2 days for 3 hens. They are much hardier than the silkie but the silkies were just so cute and sweet.