Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - white rosecomb leghorn

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 7:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: white rosecomb leghorn
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:25 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

hi all

in the dec2010 hatch of white leghorn i got 2 rosecomb leghorn . as i don't have rosecomb leghorn any more but my dad did i think they are a throw back . not having my dad here any more and not finding a lot of info
on them will just put some photos up and might get a bit of help am happy for anyone or anything

i got photos of the boy but not the girl lost the light so will do her in the morning

o yes they are still only young so a lot of growing to be done d.o.b 23dec 2010

thanks bg

if the photos are not great will do more in the morning

lovely legs poultry farm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:29 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

How cool. The head of a Wyandotte on the body of a Leghorn! Does comb shape reference potential egg colour in any way, or are these guys just as likely to lay a white egg as the single-combed ones?

Damn nice-looking birds, I must say :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:36 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

hi infoaddict

don't know they just came out of this years hatch don't know were from maybe one of the girl went walk about. no nothing about them . don't know if they are rosecomb or not my dad had rosecomb . but i can't find anything on them. i don't know what you call them
lol they are cute but mum is white leghorn single comb . dad is white leghorn single comb.
bg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:14 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi bg,

This is very interesting - and maybe just a little mysterious too: classically, rose comb is caused by a dominant gene, R. This means that a rose comb bird can 'hide' gene for a single comb, but not the other way around.

I am not trying to insinuate anything by this - but is there any possibility that these birds could have had another parent than the ones that you expected?

If not, it would be very interesting to test-mate these back to single-combed leghorns to see if you have R, or perhaps another gene mimicing R. Alternately, it could be a spontaneous mutation (though statistically, this would be extremely unusual, given that you had two such chicks pop up in your hatch).

Cheers,
Htul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:15 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

:rofl: Angie u been mowing to close to the chook pens and trimmed his comb by mistake :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Australian Game Bantams in Blackred and Pile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:34 am 
Great Game
Great Game

bg

I suspect that your comment that maybe the girl went walkabout is the explanation. As htul says the chance of two mutations occuring (especially two that confer the same phenotype) at a locus is extremely rare. It is interesting to consider how rare this would be, the chance of a newly mutated allele at any one locus is somewhere between 1 in 100,000 and 1 in 1,000,000 so if the mutations were independent (no reason to think not) then to get two would be somewhere between a 1 in 10,000,000,000 and 1000,000,000,000 event. Remember this is for a mutant the chance of the same one is even more rare. Quantitative genetics is about probabilities not absolutes and rare things do occur. For instance somebody wins Tatts most weeks, just the chance of it being any one person is very, very small.

In these cases it pays to count out the obvious things first. Luckily the common rosecomb allele is dominant - so if you (or a neighbour) have the rosecomb allele anywhere you would see it as a rosecombed cockerel and if there is even the smallest chance that this male met your leghorn pullet - this is the likely source of your rosecombed leghorn progeny. If there is even one cockerel with a rosecomb anywhere near I would bet this is the culprit. Even if you think it is impossible or not very likely.

It can not be a throw back to this common rosecomb allele as it is dominant. The next most likely cause given the rarity of two spontaneous mutations is that your father had some other allele causing a rosecomb phenotype that is actually recessive and as Htul says you can test mate for this.

I know that people will say we dont know everything about poultry genes and genetics - and we dont - but you should count out what we do know first. There is an old saying something along the lines of: if you see something that looks like horse crap look for a horse as the culprit before looking for zebras .

Anyway you have a young leghorn type bird with a rosecomb if you want to breed rosecombed leghorns you should study the standard carefully and look for comb examples. The males comb looks very wyandotte like with the leader following the head.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:23 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

thank you guys
and thank you blackleghorn, i don't have any people round me with chooks my dad had rosecomb but i think that would be pushing it . as this lot are 3rd gen removed
yes would love to breed from them if this lot are going to be true rosecomb
i am still going with miss weed went for a walk some place

thanks will keep you updated.
thank you all for the help
bg

lovely legs poultry farm :catch:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:09 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I know very little about genetics so this may be a very dumb question but I have read a few threads regarding wyandottes and hamburgs throwing single combed birds if this is possible wouldnt that mean that rosecomb could be hiding in single combed fowl? I just need to explain my point rosecomb hides single comb but how can a single combed birds turn up from 2 rosecomb parents as both parents have at least 1 copy of R

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:21 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

don't understand what you meant to say. but as i read it you are saying how can 2 single comb birds have rosecomb chicks .
or are you saying how did they only have 2 chicks .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:45 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I was trying to say that if two rosecomb birds can throw a single comb chick that perhaps rosecomb is incomplete dominant so could possibly be hiding in single combed birds but I realised after posting that is not correct.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:21 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

o ok garyb

sorry i didn't get it . my bad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:45 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I didnt explain myself very well and was completely wrong so its actually my bad