Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - replacing rooster?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 2:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: replacing rooster?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:51 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi there :hiya:
Can someone please help me out with this little dilemma? I have a lovely marans rooster, who has caused all of his girlsfriends to have bare backs with his over zealous attentions... from him and his wife I have bred a handful of pullets and a nice little cockerel. Due to space restrictions I cannot keep two roosters nor can I separate my rooster from his girls to give them a little break.
Would it be advisable to move on the mature rooster and keep the cockerel (who is only about 9 wks old, so the girls will get a nice break and be able to grow back their feathers)
I know the rooster produces lovely dark egg girls, and I know he is a really fantastic marans. I know the cockerel came from a dark egg and healthy parents etc.
:hmmm: so what should I do experts? I want to decide today who is going in the wanted/for sale section!

Thankyou!
Jess

Post subject: Re: replacing rooster?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:17 pm 
i will move roosters on if i have limitations on keeping them but i would never trust a 9 week old chicken living to adult and running the risk of loosing it thus having the problem of finding a new rooster of unproven potential.

birds are all looking very scruffy at the moment. your rooster is most likely near moulting himself so this should put a dampener on his libido. if he is not actually breaking the skin of the hen i would leave things as they are.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:20 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for your input Ruff! He hasn't broken skin but I'm sure it's painful for them as they make a racket and look half crazy with panic when he heads their way! He is a fantastic Dad and husband and a proven good breeder so I will keep him on. I will just have to ask the local BYPers for assistance trimming his spurs.. perhaps in return for some of their eggs or the little cockerel!
:thanks:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:11 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

jess, your other option (along with the spur trim) is poultry saddles. Even with spurs trimmed the roosters can still damage the hens backs with thier toe nails. Here are some links to tell you about them. I use the tape ones with my birds once they get bare backs and they work well. I have to replace them every few weeks untill the feathers grow back but I wait untill they fall off before I bother. Here is a pretty poor photo of one of my hens wearing a green one!

Rooster Problems - see half way down page
Poultry Saddles
Protect your Bare Backed Chooks
Protective Saddles for Hens
Poultry Saddles from England

NellyG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:21 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Marans have distinctively soft feathers that seem to get more damaged by rooster activity than other breeds.

I agree that you should wait until the new boy has grown to adulthood before making a decision about who to keep - he may turn out to have some fault that means you can't keep him.

You CAN put roosters into bachelor boxes. They cope fairly well but can crow a lot and stomp around crossly yelling "where da girls at dammit??". You could consider a week-on, week-off roster to help the girls recover a bit, particularly if you're not planning to set/sell the eggs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:13 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for the advice everyone :thanks:
I think the problem may have been solved, I was talking to a friend yesterday who has some ISAs who can take my rooster with them while I give the girls a break and grow out the cockerel. I haven't had anyone interested in the ad I placed so I will keep him and his brothers for now then put them in the pot once I grow them out enough to decide who is best to keep.

Cheers
Jess