Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - wyandotte roo's

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wyandotte roo's
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:28 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Ok, so I am putting my little guys out there for some opinions. They are only 22 weeks, so I understand they are far from full sized. But I am hoping that others who have bred their own will be able to give me some idea of whether they will grow out to be good enough to warrant breeding from. (Yes, I am impatient!) :oops:

Hopefully they still have lots of filling out to do, and will grow some proper tail feathers! To me their backs look a bit flat, is this something that is likely to be fixed when they grow their tails?

I have two goldies that seem to be fairly similar, this is the one I think I will keep.. based purely on the fact that he did some maverick like moves on a magpie who was hassling one of the girls today! :biggrin:

Sorry about the photos.. they were too busy demolishing my compost heap to pose! I got him in front of the milk crate (standard size) for size comparison. The silver is slightly shorter, but maybe a bit wider.

Any input, good or bad is much appreciated!

Post subject: Re: wyandotte roo's
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:59 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Lovely feather shape and lacing on the silver. He probably has the better type (at this age) Comb is a bit wrong, but the other factors make up for it. Unfortunately he is no use over GLW hens though....

Too early to tell final shape. As an early guess I would say the flat back is there to stay.

Here is one of mine at about the same age. He had a tails rise at this age, but it stayed flat into adulthood:

Before:

Middle:

After:

Unfitunately I dont have one of him at full adulthood (that after photo he is only just getting spurs). I can say his tail did rise by his first moult. Nowhere near what the standard calls for though.

I dont have much experience growing out roosters. I cull early and cannot compare the culled ones unfortunately.

Raf

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:14 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Thanks for your detailed reply Raf! Especially the photos. The first photo of that roo gives me faith that their backs may improve, even if they aren't perfect. I'm happy as long as they are reasonably close to the standard.. I don't want to show, but I would like to breed some nice birds.

I took a close up of the silvers comb, would you mind telling me what I should be looking for? I thought his comb was more 'normal' than the golds, who's looks like he just has a big blob on his head! (But I know very little, and the wyandotte handbook only skims over details about the comb).

I don't plan on breeding silver over gold, I hope to have a couple of pens of each eventually. That's not to say I wont run the odd experiment! :wink:

I took some pictures of each roosters future wives, any criticism or comments of them would also be appreciated.

One of the silver boys future wives. She doesn't have a split breast, her feathers are just a little ruffled.

A couple of the goldies girls

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:00 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I just bought some blue laced gold bantam wyandottes, how rare are they or are they common today?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:46 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Shelly,

His comb is ok, but the leader should follow the curve of the head down. Your silver boy is slightly pointed straight. It is not his worse feature (flatback wins that) but just worth noting. My boy is a similar example of the fault (both faults actually). One of your females has the same issue. Their offspring might be worse, so just keep note.

Females look great!

Nick the BLG is rare enough. There were only a handful of them at the National Wyandotte show in 2009 and I havent seen any at the shows since, large or small.

Raf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:43 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Hello,

Well I was looking at Mr Silver this afternoon, and I really noticed he is getting a bit of shape happening.

It has been said that Micki's SLW's pick up in the back late, and I think my boy has. What are your thoughts? I know he isn't standing quite right, but he is not much of a poser! Is the 'dip' too deep?

His comb is obviously still a bit average, but I'm not too picky at this stage.

The golds seem to also getting a bit more shape, but their tails are still not properly formed, so its a bit hard to judge.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:05 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I'm not expert, but he's looking DAMN good ... :)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:38 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Thanks Info! I think he's pretty.. but I'm no expert either! :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:45 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Wow!! I love Mr Silver - he is stunning :mrgreen:

I recently got a SLW boy. A while back we went to buy some hens but I also fell in love with the breeders Rooster and she kindly gave us a cockerel.
I'm wondering at what age he will start to crow? I've done a search but it seems to vary from breed to breed.

Last edited by SuperChicken on Tue May 03, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:13 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

My boys mature a bit late on the crowing side. Usually about 5 - 7 months depending on the individual. They seem to be interested in the girls before they start to crow. Their crow starts off as if they are being strangled and takes a few weeks to a month for it to deapen and sound like a real rooster.

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:52 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

He looks really good. :claps:

His back is a bit long, as the rising tail curve should begin where the decending neck curve finishes, but again, its a problem across the breed and I wouldnt be down heartened. Throw this outline over his and see where you need to work on.

As you can see, while his back needs to shorten and the tail can rise a bit more, the rest of his shape is very good.

BUT - Using that above standard model, look at his feathers in comparison to the indicated feathers on the overlay. He is VERY WELL patterned. Look at the tight neat line of secondary feathers on his wings and his thigh feathers in particular. Very nice indeed.

Raf

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:53 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Okay, Thanks Shayne. He is one of your boys (Michael) so it's good to know he's a late bloomer :)
Do you remember how old Michael would be now?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:57 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

About 5 months but no older.

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:02 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

your Wyandottes look great.