Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Pekin bantam with 2 combs? Any suggestions?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:19 am 
This little fella was born about 4 weeks ago. He was from a batch of pure bred lavender Pekin bantam eggs. He was born 2 days before any of his mates (and 2 days before he was due).

I have checked with the breeder, and there is no chance of it having been a "stray" egg (or a stray rooster for that matter). The eggs were put in the incubator on their own (no other eggs apart from these, so no chance of a mix up). And as I was very anxious and eager I kept watch over them all the time (as you do!!).

13 of the 14 viable eggs hatched, no complications all the others look like "normal" Pekin bantams.

This one is the largest of the group, he easily stands out from the rest of them (though they are catching up).

Any ideas about his lineage? Or about what happened to his comb?

This is a first for me - I don't know what to make of it. Thanks.

Alina.

Last edited by avtycoon on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:49 am 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Pekins have single blade combs. If he's already significantly bigger then the others and has a different comb he's probably not a Pekin, or at least is a Pekin cross something else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:52 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Alina,

I'm going to move your post over to Breeds & Breedings where people love to discuss genetics and things like your little cockerel's unusual comb, that are beyond the scope of What is this? forum. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:19 pm 
My first thought was that this must be a cross breed. I have contacted the breeder and they assure me that this is not the case. So other than a cross breed, what else can it be?

Alina.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:23 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Do you have some pic of his whole body. It would be great to see all of him.

Cheers
Shayne

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:26 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

My thinking it would be a genetic hicup at time of fertilization as occasionally happens yours
being double copy of the comb.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:24 pm 
looks like a silkie cross to me. if you could see the whole bird you could see leg colour, toe number and there is a strong hint of a small crest.

'pure bred'.................????!!!!

sorry i don't wear that with many 'breeders' around today.

and are they going to be lavender????

Last edited by ruff on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:30 am 
I have taken some body shots, trying to photograph his feet (without help) is a bit difficult, he is a squirmy blighter.

I have never seen a Silkie cross that has white skin? Is that possible?

The breeder has been exceptionally helpful - he can't figure out what has happened either. He has offered to replace this chick with one of my choice later down the track. All the other chicks seem to be developing very nicely. 2 have a definite lavender colour atm, some of the cream coloured ones are getting a lavender hint and the black coloured ones are turning a lovely soft blue. I am extremely happy with the result.

The photos that I taken are in a mixed brooder pen - so there are other coloured Pekin bantams in there.

Alina.

url=http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/showphoto.php?photo=53317]Image[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:00 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

If it is a Pekin it will not turn out to be of very good quality. It does look like a cross of some sort to me. Have you got any better pics of the other ones so we can compare the difference.

Cheers
Shayne

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:08 am 
not all silkies are pure and conform to all standards. silkie cross means just that, a cross. mix them up enough and you will get any combinations or none of the orginal crosses.

did you get anything lavender? i would be looking closely at them too. they might be lavender but nothing to dsay they will have the right comb, skin colour, toes etc etc. you can get lavenders starting yellow where they are wheaten or what ever but most consider lavender as an even pale grey bird all over.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:13 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

The bird looks to have an extra toe. I'm only a novice but going on that I'd put my money on a silkie cross as well.

Brahma & D'Uccle with some pekins mixed in :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:25 am 
Great Game
Great Game

You have a crossbred cockerel. Rose comb, 5 toes and the hint of a crest (all noted by Ruff previously) and the fact that it does not look like it is lavender all demonstrate beyond a doubt that it is not a lavender pekin. You should talk to the breeder as they are under the misapprehension that the birds are pure or that there was no chance of a stray cockerel siring the chick.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:00 am 
Thanks for all your help.

I will just wait and see what this little fella develops into.

His 12 brothers and sisters all seem to be okay - and very good examples of the breed, with lavender coming through on all of them (they were split from white and from black).

The breeder has been very helpful and I would happily buy from him again as his eggs and his follow up service have been great.

Thanks again to everyone who answered.

Alina.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:57 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Alina Iám glad the breeder is being helpful about this because your chick is definately silkie/pekin cross in my brooder nursery and growing out pens also pol's I have exact replicas from crossing a pekin rooster with silkie hens and mine is deliberate and sold as such. Good to hear the rest of your chicks are pure breds. Ps the feet are a definate silkie x foot.
cheers Judy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:35 pm 
Thanks for that Judy.

Does a Pekin Silkie cross produce that particular comb as well? I have had my own crosses in the past but they have always had the dark silkie skin, even if their feet were a lighter colour, their skin was still black. And they were all Pekin roos with silkie hens.

Can you post some pics of yours please? Or send me some pics to avtycoon@activ8.net.au? I will forward them to the breeder and see if it jogs his memory. He is being very good about all of this. Most helpful.

It's just that I was so careful with this group of eggs and so eager for them to hatch that I must have checked them at least three times a day, every day!! And they were all labelled (of course I didn't keep any records or band any of the chicks!)

Thanks again - looking forward to hearing from you again.

Alina.