Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - oxford fowls, for people that want to learn

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:17 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:40 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

This may be a dumb question but how come the hens appear to have a single comb and the roosters a pea comb?
I have a rooster that when I got as a chick we thought was a wyandotte pullet but has grown into what I can best discribe as a GLW crossed with and OEG
the only reason I would even have a clue as its shape is very similar to these photo's thanks for any info.

OK I have been PM'd the reason why thanks.

Last edited by Canna Kid on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:02 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Image Image Image Image Image a few more

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:01 am 

Andy. J wrote:

Nice Pictures Andy J,

But only 2-3 of the pictures were of oxford fowl, plus the Felix Leach grey from paper clipping.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:29 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

whitehackle wrote:

But only 2-3 of the pictures were of oxford fowl, plus the Felix Leach grey from paper clipping.

What do you mean 2-3? Is one there a little bit Oxford?
Which are the 2 that are definately Oxford?
Just a question for the anyone who has gone to Boonah or Cessnock Oxford shows. Are all the birds shown Oxford fowls?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:57 am 

Andy. J wrote:
whitehackle wrote:

What do you mean 2-3? Is one there a little bit Oxford?
Which are the 2 that are definately Oxford?
Just a question for the anyone who has gone to Boonah or Cessnock Oxford shows. Are all the birds shown Oxford fowls?

OK Andy, not meaning to be picky but I myself don't like the look of a few of them, It may just be the picture, as photo's dont always show fowl in good light...And yes a few fowl do get benched at oxford shows that are not oxford fowl, but these get weeded out in the handling....

O.K...from the bottom up I do not like the large d/wing & bantam d/wing as being to heavy in breast, I know that this will throw the handling out. The little brassy I am unsure about,as cant see all of him...The cuckoo hen i do like very much....The news paper clipping speaks for it self as F.Leach only ever kept game fowlof the oxford type. Unsure of the 2 lots of dark greys, they look very nice but I do think they may be a little suspect in the handling dept. I may also be very wrong....I do like the look of the dun hen, but the creel stag, the eye dosen't look like a game one to me, and i feel he shows some show blood in the way he stands, but just my view again. The brassy looks the oxford type, but a little thick in the body for me, but again could just be the photo.. The pair of blk/red light reds I do not like, look like a cross of oxford over show fowl, and the same with the duckwing pullet, just not my cup-of-tea.

But with all fowl it's in the handling, cannot judge a fowl by photo's...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:07 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Whitehackle I wonder if you can explain your eye comment with the crele stag please

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:49 pm 

garyb wrote:
Whitehackle I wonder if you can explain your eye comment with the crele stag please

he has no fire in his eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:53 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks Whitehackle, that is the type of constructive comment that we are all looking for.
I put those pictures in as most had "Oxford" mentioned in their description in the gallery.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:20 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thanks Whitehackle. As someone interested in learning, I thought your breakdown of the birds was very helpful. Its great to have such a variety of birds to look at, and to have a bit of detail as to why you like some birds and not others. And its dosnt take long when your learning about Oxfords to know what you mean about 'Fire in his eyes'

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:11 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

They say the eye's are the window to the sole and it's so often true with these guys.Most exhibition type OEG have a different look in there eye to the oxford type.I think fire is a good description whitehackle .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:51 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Andy. J wrote:
Thanks Whitehackle, that is the type of constructive comment that we are all looking for.
I put those pictures in as most had "Oxford" mentioned in their description in the gallery.
Most of the fowls you've posted above didn't appear when I used Oxford as a keyword search in the gallery! Also noted that the Silver Creel female in your gallery Andy. J has no mention of Oxford in the title in your gallery! But I'm glad you’re comfortable using the term, this now I guess puts you on par with us; proving we must have the same interests as you posted previously for reading!

Please anyone wishing to search do so under "Oxford" some beautiful fowl are posted with Oxford in their title as well as just a many without this term.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:24 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Can you explain what is meant by 'handling' please?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:21 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Pedro i'm with you 100% but the only way forward is the discussion of fowls with an unbiased view. We are getting nowhere when every fowl that is "Oxford" is rated a 10 in the gallery. I appeciate that we want to support the Oxford ideal , however you need to educate the "run of the mill" poultry enthusiast to the finer points of the fowls in question. Handling aside some of the fowls depicted as Oxford are just clouding the picture.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:34 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Ok, for those "run of the mill" poultry enthusiasts who honestly want to learn about the finer points of Oxford OEG, you won't learn a lot from looking at pictures on an internet forum. You will get an idea of what they look like, yes, but you need to see the actual fowl, and if possible handle. A fowl that looks nice in a photo might be absoloutley rubbish in hand.

Go to a show or track down some breeders and talk to them about the fowl. They will be more than happy to point out the characteristics they are looking for, with a real bird as a demo.

Also, read. Buy and borrow books, search the internet, whatever. Read as much about OEG and gamefowl as you can, particularly anything which discusses the functional attributes of the fowl. Then you will begin to understand that everything on the bird has a fuctional purpose. When all those finer details can be linked to what the original cockers were looking for, then they become more obvious and make sense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next